House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smurf1976

Radio Advertising

I've noticed over the past week or so a new trend in property advertising which seems to be very rapidly growing.

There are two basic forms, both of which use commercial radio as the medium. The first type is where they do a live cross (via mobile phone) to a roving real estate agent who is presently parked outside some property. Then you hear all the features that the property has from the agent on the phone and finally the asking price. It sounds VERY much like a cross to a radio station vehicle parked somewhere giving crisps and fizzy drinks away except that this is an EA selling property. Everything the EA says is hyped to the max much the same as radio stations giving away drinks etc. always hype the product.

The second type is basically a paid advertorial for individual properties. Sure, they mention who the EA is a few times but basically the radio announcer just reads out the features of the property etc. and says who to call.

Both of these have started happening on mainstream commercial FM radio that is normally very much music orientated. Of course they will take any advertising, they have to make money after all, but it seems to be a rather extraordinary measure to market individual properties in this way. It reeks of desperation IMO. Why else would anyone spend so much to advertise not the EA but rather one specific property? The actual properties aren't really anything special. Just ordinary houses although they are in the upper half in terms of price (but by no means millionaire's properties).

This is in addition to the individual employee EA's who have been sponsoring segments on another radio station trying to direct business directly to themselves rather than the agency as a whole. "blah blah brought to you by Fred Smith who can be contacted on (insert direct phone number)". They don't even mention the name of the EA they work for in the ads.

I assume this is happening (or already happened) elsewhere???

Edited by Smurf1976

I've noticed over the past week or so a new trend in property advertising which seems to be very rapidly growing.

There are two basic forms, both of which use commercial radio as the medium. The first type is where they do a live cross (via mobile phone) to a roving real estate agent who is presently parked outside some property. Then you hear all the features that the property has from the agent on the phone and finally the asking price. It sounds VERY much like a cross to a radio station vehicle parked somewhere giving crisps and fizzy drinks away except that this is an EA selling property. Everything the EA says is hyped to the max much the same as radio stations giving away drinks etc. always hype the product.

The second type is basically a paid advertorial for individual properties. Sure, they mention who the EA is a few times but basically the radio announcer just reads out the features of the property etc. and says who to call.

Both of these have started happening on mainstream commercial FM radio that is normally very much music orientated. Of course they will take any advertising, they have to make money after all, but it seems to be a rather extraordinary measure to market individual properties in this way. It reeks of desperation IMO. Why else would anyone spend so much to advertise not the EA but rather one specific property? The actual properties aren't really anything special. Just ordinary houses although they are in the upper half in terms of price (but by no means millionaire's properties).

This is in addition to the individual employee EA's who have been sponsoring segments on another radio station trying to direct business directly to themselves rather than the agency as a whole. "blah blah brought to you by Fred Smith who can be contacted on (insert direct phone number)". They don't even mention the name of the EA they work for in the ads.

I assume this is happening (or already happened) elsewhere???

Well, I've just noticed an advert at the top of this page for 'FIRSTRUNG.COM' - helping first time buyers get into horrendous debt...what's the deal, webmaster?! <_<

Well, I've just noticed an advert at the top of this page for 'FIRSTRUNG.COM' - helping first time buyers get into horrendous debt...what's the deal, webmaster?! <_<

A lot of the editorial appears bearish and negative. Is this not off putting for the First time buyer?

http://firstrung.co.uk/page.asp?pagekey=10&questionkey=36

Firstrung is a challenger brand, we challenge some of the perceived notions and practices that have caused a bubble in the property market, driving property values to inflated heights, in turn causing negative effects on potential first time buyers and causing ripples of unrest and disappointment.

http://firstrung.co.uk/page.asp?pagekey=10&questionkey=34

I have noticed a marked increased in radio advertising for new build developments on local radio in my area (2-10 FM Reading / north Hampshire).

Fair enough if they want to advertise their products...

what annoys me is one advert which basically says...

'First time buyers - If you're renting for £600 per month then over the course of 25 years that amounts to £180,000. You can buy one of our apartments for £150,000 which is a saving of £30,000 over the course of a mortgage.'

What they fail to mention, of course, is that the properties are way below the standard that you would get for your £600 per month rent and that no one is really going to rent for 25 years (unless property continues to be overpriced, of course)...

It's the same old 'rent is dead money' argument that has been discredited so many times on this site...

It like having my parents talking to me out of the radio!

I'm fairly sure the next advert will simply say 'Don't worry FTBs... Property NEVER goes down in value!'

Oh no. That would be against the advertising regulations!

NO! I Will not buy at this time!

I value a certain quality of life which buying would relieve me of!

local radio here in blackpool (radio wave) a couple months ago had an ad that went like this.

it speeled of so called newsfeeds about houses not selling

then the name of a letting agency

says having trouble selling then why not let us let your property out instead

i think that tells which way the wind blows

Edited by homeless