House Price Crash Forum

Politically motivated witch hunt hits snag

Game_Over

The left wing dominated medias politically motivated witch hunt against a senior Conservative politician hit a snag this evening with the shock revelations that the allegations were entirely fabricated.

Having chosen to block a Newsnight investigation into Saville so that they could run tributes instead

the BBC chose to run a Newsnight story covering allegations that a senior politician in Margaret Thatchers government was a serial sex offender.

The fact that the story didn't stand up to any kind of even cursory investigation was irrelevant - the chance to smear the Conservatives in general and the government of Margaret Thatcher in particular was an opportunity too good to miss.

I hope they are sued for millions - but then if they lose we all will pay of course.

The left are despicable - choosing to exploit the vulnerable victims of abuse in order to try and gain short lived political advantage.

Utterly disgraceful.

Hope this gets past the mods -as it is an important story.

:angry:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This belongs in off topic (where it is already being discussed and has been for some time).

Where no one will read it.

The Guardian were involved, as were CH4 News and ITV.

Given that in the main forum we are constantly told that the media is dominated by the right - which is utter garbage

and that the Guardian are the sole defenders of truth and justice in this country

I thought we needed a bit of balance

:blink:

"Steve Messham said police had shown him a picture of his abuser but incorrectly told him the man was Lord ********.."

Oops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20269114

"Mr Messham has offered "sincere and humble apologies" to the peer and his family."

The thing is, you would have thought that if a pedophile ring was abusing children, the last thing they would do is tell the victims the real names of the people who were abusing them.

The really disgraceful thing about this though is how quick the BBC were to run this story, apparently without any proper checks after blatantly attempting to cover up their own involvment in the Saville case.

And if they are sued - the money comes out of mine and your pockets.

Heads should roll for this.

I am sick and tired of having left wing propaganda rammed down my throat by the BBC and Channel 4.

I don't have to buy the Guardian - but if I want to own a TV I am forced to fund these people.

Anyway - I've had my 10 minute rant I suppose.

The left wing dominated medias politically motivated witch hunt against a senior Conservative politician hit a snag this evening with the shock revelations that the allegations were entirely fabricated.

From what I've heard about Philip Schofield and This Morning (ITV?) , I suggest many in the media are in the gutter, just looking for something sensationalist to put in-front of dumbed down viewers.

Speculating and dangerously stirring things to simply try and cause some reader or viewer outrage, on matters best left to the police and calm investigation. Rum journalism. Low standards.

From what I've heard about Philip Schofield and This Morning (ITV?) , I suggest many in the media are in the gutter, just looking for something sensationalist to put in-front of dumbed down viewers.

Speculating and dangerously stirring things to simply try and cause some reader or viewer outrage, on matters best left to the police and calm investigation. Rum journalism. Low standards.

Well I can tell you now that if the allegations had involved a senior Labour politician

The BBC, Channel 4 News and the Guardian would not have done what they did

You could bet your house and your entire life savings on it.

Well I can tell you now that if the allegations had involved a senior Labour politician

The BBC, Channel 4 News and the Guardian would not have done what they did

You could bet your house and your entire life savings on it.

I don't know for certain, but am sympathetic to your suspicions on that.

Played right into the hands of those who want to regulate the media and the Internet.

The media can't go about making reckless and unsubstantiated accusations on highly charged issues.

It's like a derivative of McCarthyism. Big political guy wanting to make a name for himself in his own political party, solely to serve his own interests and damn those crushed in the process, by seeking ways to hurt the opposition in anyway possible, by making accusations that should be handled by authorities like the police.

Then the press thinking it's their duty to follow the political lead of the accuser, and risk of everyone beginning to live in fear of being accused.

Not sure I really buy the political witch hunt motif myself (though I probably accept the BBC is generally left wing biased).

I'd say probably more like hot headed media bods think they've uncovered the next super scoop based on some semi credible witness statement.. only to discover later that they've dropped a total clanger.

I think a lot of people owe a REALLY big apology to the guy mentioned earlier in the thread.

Untrue. The allegations were true, just the target of them was incorrect (due to genuine error)

Having chosen to block a Newsnight investigation into Saville so that they could run tributes instead

That didn't happen either.

the BBC chose to run a Newsnight story covering allegations that a senior politician in Margaret Thatchers government was a serial sex offender.

The fact that the story didn't stand up to any kind of even cursory investigation was irrelevant - the chance to smear the Conservatives in general and the government of Margaret Thatcher in particular was an opportunity too good to miss.

Again, not true. They had an interview with the victim, who regrettably got it wrong (based on what he had been told by the police.)

I hope they are sued for millions - but then if they lose we all will pay of course.

The left are despicable - choosing to exploit the vulnerable victims of abuse in order to try and gain short lived political advantage.

Utterly disgraceful.

Ooh you changed your emoticon for once.

While I am sure that there is an element of what you say, the ****** up is from Mr Messham. He's apologised for it and there is no reason to think that everyone else was operating in anything other than good faith (given the fallout.)

Utterly disgraceful.

If you think the right wing press/media are any better than you would be seriously deluded.

As Littlejohn points out, it was just an excuse to smear the Conservative Party in general and in particular the relish shown by people wanting to mention child abuse and Thatcher in the same sentence was sickening IMO.

The fact that during the Blair years widespread child abuse was ignored by police and social services in the North West of England in order to avoid alienating a community that largely votes Labour is just skimmed over in the media.

Anyway Sky News has just stated that the BBC has now issued a groveling apology - as well they should.

Ironically , it was the 'left wing' Guardian who unravelled Messhams account and pointed out its inconsistencies not the right wing press

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/08/mistaken-identity-tory-abuse-claim

They were also one of the few national newspapers to send a journalist to the original Waterhouse enquiry

Most of the rest of the media simply could not be ars*d to attend

BTW reading the Guardian article I can see why Waterhouse did not want to release the Tory politicians name given to the enquiry as he suspected that the wrong person was being identified. Perhaps he would have been better advised to have put the information in his the report but to have attached a written caveat suggesting that it was mistaken identity and that it was another deceased individual with the same surname who may have been involved. It still does not explain why Waterhouse put a blanket ban on naming some of the other alleged abusers, who were also dead,particularly as at least one of them I am certain must have been known to the police

Ironically , it was the 'left wing' Guardian who unravelled Messhams account and pointed out its inconsistencies not the right wing press

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/08/mistaken-identity-tory-abuse-claim

They were also one of the few national newspapers to send a journalist to the original Waterhouse enquiry

Most of the rest of the media simply could not be ars*d to attend

impo...

As has already been discussed on the larger, related OT thread on this issue, this isn't about Left vs Right. It's about predator vs. prey. It's about the kind of people who seek power and what some of them *might* be getting up to. Anyone familiar with this material knows full well the rumours cross party lines. No doubt, some political opportunists will try to make some capital out of the misfortunes of others but if things really kick off, the Left vs Right distinction won't matter a jot.

Reading through this thread has been a nice reminder of what a useful distraction this Left vs Right ding dong stuff can be.

Newsnight presented tonight by someone I've seen before !

No Paxman, no Walk, no Esler.

And the presenter can't get anyone from the BBC to comment !

It would be interesting to know exactly what's been going on internally at Newsnight over the past couple of weeks. Whether there was a massive paedo ring or not, the BBC have seriously f***ed up here. Was this some producer passed over for a promotion out to exact revenge by deliberately bungling the investigation, was it politically inspired, or just an amazing level of incompetence?

"Steve Messham said police had shown him a picture of his abuser but incorrectly told him the man was Lord ********.."

Do we have any reason to suppose this individual is or isn't a credible witness? Clearly the media reporting this think he is, but none of them have explained the basis for it.

Today's story seems to blow a hole in it: is it even remotely credible that any police occifer interviewing a victim in such circumstances would've told him the identity of the individual identified? Let alone that he was such a prominent public figure.

Perfectly normal. Its the timing that is correct. I know of several media abusers (from second hand experience) as we all know the media is full of left wingers. a PERFECT cover one might say. LOOK GOOD BE BAD.

For example, take Textbook ABUSER Gacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Gacy

A filthy rotten DEMOCRAT

At the age of 18, Gacy became involved in politics, working as an assistant precinct captain for a Democratic Party candidate in his neighborhood. This decision earned more criticism from his father, who accused his son of being a "patsy".[15] Gacy himself later speculated the decision may have been an attempt to seek the acceptance from others that he never received from his father.

The same year Gacy became a Democratic Party candidate, his father bought him a car

Sickening, I think you;ll agree. BUT IT GETS WORSE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Johnwaynegacyrosalynncarter.jpg

With THE FRIGGIN first lady.

These HOUNDS have no shame.

impo...

As has already been discussed on the larger, related OT thread on this issue, this isn't about Left vs Right. It's about predator vs. prey. It's about the kind of people who seek power and what some of them *might* be getting up to. Anyone familiar with this material knows full well the rumours cross party lines. No doubt, some political opportunists will try to make some capital out of the misfortunes of others but if things really kick off, the Left vs Right distinction won't matter a jot.

Reading through this thread has been a nice reminder of what a useful distraction this Left vs Right ding dong stuff can be.

This thread is about the biggest scandal to hit the BBC for many years.

It is not about child abuse.

The question is, why did the BBC choose to run a story calculated to cause maximum damage to the Conservative Party

when even cursory checks would have revealed that it was untrue.

Today the Chairman of the BBC who is also the Chief editor claimed that he knew nothing about this story yet

when James Murdoch stated he knew nothing about phone hacking at the News of the World, MP's told him that this was just not credible.

The whole thing stinks and if justice is done the BBC will pay a high price for this politically motivated stunt.

Sorry, but I think the op is missing the point somewhat. I'm not saying I'm on top of the issue, but this whole thing is deeper, darker and dirtier than any of us would ever care to imagine. What it absolutely and unequivocally ISN'T about is left/ right politics.

This thread is about the biggest scandal to hit the BBC for many years.

It is not about child abuse.

The question is, why did the BBC choose to run a story calculated to cause maximum damage to the Conservative Party

when even cursory checks would have revealed that it was untrue.

Today the Chairman of the BBC who is also the Chief editor claimed that he knew nothing about this story yet

when James Murdoch stated he knew nothing about phone hacking at the News of the World, MP's told him that this was just not credible.

The whole thing stinks and if justice is done the BBC will pay a high price for this politically motivated stunt.

The last person I saw drawing parallels with the phone hacking scandal was the Labour MP Tom Watson...

tom_watson ‏@tom_watson

I see the pushback has begun in some sections of the media. The same people who dismissed the hacking allegations.Suspect they'll regret it.

As for why the BBC chose to lash out at the Conservative Party, rather than alleged nonces in Labour or the Lib Dems, it could be because it's in government at the moment. Was the choice easier because of the biases in some sections of BBC management? Possibly, but so what? As I already mentioned, this material would very easily cross party lines.

Unrepentant New Labour sympathisers in the BBC wanting to bring the subject of politicians and child abuse to public attention? Nope, can't see any potential problems with that strategy down the line. No sirree.

And it is about child abuse. The allegations of what happened in North Wales have not been put to rest by this balls up. The BBC just confused the issue by outing the wrong man. Well, actually it didn't, did it? It didn't name anyone.

Personally, I don't give a toss about the fate of the BBC, the Conservative, Liberal or Labour parties. A plague on all their houses afaic.

Archived