House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
search4

Property Lottery/raffle

Is it worthwhile to buy a ticket(s) in a property lottery/raffle? I've observed that some individuals wish to raffle their property and at least 3 websites (of course there may be many more?) offer one the opportunity for a £25 ticket/spot the ball contest entry a chance to win a house. A 1 in 6,000 or 1in 8,000 of winning mortgage free property seems to be very good odds (it does to me anyway). To ensure that the individuals really are the owners, two of the said sites have links to the Landregistry office where (as you will) know for a small fee one can discover details about registered property ownership. I have purchased 2 tickets,

the last one being for a terraced house with a 1 in 8000 chance of winning. Check it out :

www. winmyhouse.org if you wish. Do you think these competitions are actually worthwhile or just for chancers and dreamers? I suppose it's much better than the lottery is.

Edited by search4

How many of these actually end in a raffle and a winner?

I seem to recall a number of cases where the raffle was called off because not enough tickets were sold and the money was returned to the entrants.

I seem to recall a number of cases where the raffle was called off because not enough tickets were sold and the money was returned to the entrants.

I seem to recall one not so long back where the house was repossessed and the former owner ran off with the raffle money, better do your homework first before throwing money down the drain.

I seem to recall one not so long back where the house was repossessed and the former owner ran off with the raffle money, better do your homework first before throwing money down the drain.

This link reports it slightly different, but when it was on the news they definitely said he had run off! Wow what a drop in the price though, from £400,000 to £274,950!

Man Arrested

Is it worthwhile to buy a ticket(s) in a property lottery/raffle? I've observed that some individuals wish to raffle their property and at least 3 websites (of course there may be many more?) offer one the opportunity for a £25 ticket/spot the ball contest entry a chance to win a house. A 1 in 6,000 or 1in 8,000 of winning mortgage free property seems to be very good odds (it does to me anyway). To ensure that the individuals really are the owners, two of the said sites have links to the Landregistry office where (as you will) know for a small fee one can discover details about registered property ownership. I have purchased 2 tickets,

the last one being for a terraced house with a 1 in 8000 chance of winning. Check it out :

www. winmyhouse.org if you wish. Do you think these competitions are actually worthwhile or just for chancers and dreamers? I suppose it's much better than the lottery is.

This is all feeling very Dejavu

This is exactly what they did last time!

I'm not joking, its uncanny how 'not' different this all is.

I was expecting this crash to roll out in a different way this time....dont ask me why, I just thought people were a little bit wiser today I suppose....obviously they have very short memories.

There have been several house raffles in the past year, which despite a considerable amount of positive press publicity, have ended unsccessfully.