House Price Crash Forum

What Did You Spend Last Christmas?

HOLA441

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, or irrelevant, but I am intrigued.

This morning on the radio they mentioned that the average brit will spend £592 this Christmas. Now taking presents, food, and everything into account, I do not think I spend more than £150 last year, and do not intend to this year. I don't buy presents for everyone, just close family and a couple of secret santas (which are limited to £10).

We do tend to spend a bit more on food at Christmas, but only by 10% at most. I'm not sure what this £592 figure includes, but my £150 includes a couple of rounds on Christmas eve.

I just don't get it, are people buying one another iPads for one another and sticking it on the credit card?

So, how much did you spend last year and do you think you are likely to spend more or less this year?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I have a pretty good idea how much I will spend this year.

£30 + £30 + £30 + £15 + £120 + £70

£295 Between the wife and I.

Add an extra £75 for fuel and contribution to food and drink: £370 / 2 = £185 each.

[Edit to add forgot to split with my wife]

Edited by libspero

HOLA445

This morning on the radio they mentioned that the average brit will spend £592 this Christmas. Now taking presents, food, and everything into account, I do not think I spend more than £150 last year, and do not intend to this year. I don't buy presents for everyone, just close family and a couple of secret santas (which are limited to £10).

We do tend to spend a bit more on food at Christmas, but only by 10% at most. I'm not sure what this £592 figure includes, but my £150 includes a couple of rounds on Christmas eve.

I just don't get it, are people buying one another iPads for one another and sticking it on the credit card?

So, how much did you spend last year and do you think you are likely to spend more or less this year?

Do you have any children?

HOLA446

Great thread idea!

Last year my family and friends all agreed to forgo christmas presents except for the friends we spent Christmas day with, and that was just 2 x secret santas of £10 each.

Our tree is one we keep in a tub outside for most of the year and just bring in for Christmas. Borrowed some DVD box sets for viewing over the holidays and got some films in from LoveFilms cos the TV was rubbish. Oh, we did got to the to see the second Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes which was ok-ish.

So apart from booze and perhaps a few extra nice things to eat (me and Mrs S are both veggies) I don't think we spent much more at christmas than our usual food/entertainment spend really... and we'll probably do the same again this year :) As we don't have kids it's quite easy not to go mad on spending excessively...

HOLA447
HOLA448

We budget about £200 per child (3) plus atleast a couple of hundred on food & beer, so a minimum of £800 if the missus sticks to the present plan ... already spent £300 on one of the kids, so thats out of the window already.

Meh I can't take it with me, so presents for the kids and a decent party/feed for family & friends.

Do the party all over again for the new year aswell :D

HOLA449

The OH and I tend to spend around £750 in total - £150 on each other, £300 on the members of our families, £100 fuel travelling and £50 boxing day dinner.

Food bill is less though as we always spend Xmas with either set of parents.

Will spend the same this year, maybe a touch more.

HOLA4410

£592 seems low to me, if people are really including extra nights out etc.

If I didn't count boozing (which I'd be doing anyway), I got all the way to Christmas day without spending anything. Then I decided the folks needed a new TV, £300, then mum's computer blew up (in fairness, I got it about 5 years ago) another £450, then my sisters (both nearly 40) laughed at how tight I was, so I gave them £200 each.

I got nothing ... as usual.

Got a nephew and a godson this year, so that'll at least feel like proper Christmas expenditure.

HOLA4411

We budget about £200 per child (3)

I bet your children don`t know or understand the word No. :rolleyes:

When I was a small child my Christmas present was scrag end of Lamb in place of mincemeat for Christmas Dinner. :(

Christmas entertainment was listening to the Queen`s message to her subjects on the family Crystal Set. Oh what great days. :)

HOLA4412

No, I haven't, that hadn't even actually crossed my mind actually, but I do expect that explains a lot of the cost.

Once you get up to a couple of kids, I expect Christmas can become very expensive. I remember wanting a train set when I was younger (about 18 years ago). Our usual budget was £50 each (3 of us), but the set was £70, so she had to spend £70 on the other 2 as well. I'd guess it is nearer £200 per child these days?

HOLA4413

No, I haven't, that hadn't even actually crossed my mind actually, but I do expect that explains a lot of the cost.

Once you get up to a couple of kids, I expect Christmas can become very expensive. I remember wanting a train set when I was younger (about 18 years ago). Our usual budget was £50 each (3 of us), but the set was £70, so she had to spend £70 on the other 2 as well. I'd guess it is nearer £200 per child these days?

We used to get about £50 each. It varied (probably depending how much work dad had), but there wasn't really any inflation for us between mid 80s and 90s.

What amazes me (more now than it did then) was that the majority of kids at school got Amigas and Atari STs. They were £500 20 odd years ago!

HOLA4414

I spend too much. But I have quite a few presents to buy, and if I'm going to give someone a present I like to get them something nice.

(But pref. with a gift receipt so they can swop if they want. )

A lot depends on whether your family gives presents. Mr B's family (4 boys) never bothered at all. My lot always have. We have discussed whether to give up, but decided 3-1 that it'd be miserable and Scrooge-ish.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I bet your children don`t know or understand the word No. :rolleyes:

When I was a small child my Christmas present was scrag end of Lamb in place of mincemeat for Christmas Dinner. :(

Christmas entertainment was listening to the Queen`s message to her subjects on the family Crystal Set. Oh what great days. :)

Why wouldn't then understand the word no? Just because once I year I decide to gift them something they'd like? :rolleyes:

None of them get pocket money or an allowance - they have to work for thier money, yes its slave labour, but they've all been brought up with a good work ethic and they understand the hard work that I put into earning my money which tanslates into them wanting to work.

They never ask for anything, because they do get told no. Children need to learn boundrys and my job as a parent is try and teach them.

They don't get gifts all year round, so I don't see a problem with buying them something nice at Birthday or Christmas time.

They understand it alot better than some of the children their ages (6, 14 & 18)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

How much do people spend on their kids these days?

In my family growing up it used to be £100 each.. but that had to include all presents as well as the main one.

Bet it's at least three times that now?

I'd say that was about right for us and as they get older it looks likely diddly squat under the tree. I'd probably be looking at around £1000 for 3 kids and something for him indoors. A couple of X Box games set you back £80. If you were buying a Nintendo 3ds that would probably be around £150 in a tiny box then you add in some pj's, selection box, books etc and it all adds up. I used to enjoy the days of Argos shopping when a bloody great Fisher Price boxed pressie looked much more exciting.

I have told them all I'm cutting back this year so I'm hoping it will be more like £200 a piece (if you can call that cutting back).

HOLA4419

I spent 9 quid on on a bottle of Baileys and six quid on a bottle of port last year. Will probably cut down to one bottle this year.

Also I send about ten free christmas cards....fortuneatly I found a book of first class stamps during the summer.

On the other hand I do get a lot of overtime at christmas!

HOLA4420

Last year it was around £100 expenditure for the holiday period. We spend it at the in laws; i buy the turkey and a selection of meats, my wife buys a load of booze, and away we go. I also worked on boxing day and over the new year so was actually a couple of grand up in the end. We're planning on the same again this year, although with a 2 year old the bill will rise a little (not to much, she has plenty of hand me down toys from her cousins already and doesn't really understand the while thing yet API there's no point yet imo). I am looking at a pair of sapphire earrings for my wife though which could be expensive :-(

HOLA4421

....children often have more fun playing with the box.......small children don't need many presents, older children may want one or two presents that are of some value therefore money that can be pooled together from other family members is a better idea, any surplus to a savings account.

....this year it's charity shop and home made gifts from me...chutney anyone? ;)

To be truthful it is the thought that counts and a lot of thought does go into thinking about what someone would like and then looking for it. :)

HOLA4422

last year we spent alot, probably nearly £2k this was due to having to buy decorations, as we had non, i spent £300+ on alcohol (bought the deals, and lots of them) then over £100 on xmas dinner, as it was our first having both sets of parents round our house.

then we bought a TV and other stuff in the sales.

this year we wil lprobably spend over £1500. £800 will be a new sofa, then £100 on a coffee machine, food/beer (not having family round this year) will be cheaper and very minimal on presents for others.

HOLA4423

I actually spend less over the Christmas week compared to a normal week, as most the classes/sports I take part in close down for the holidays. Eat less as I’m not training; spend less on travel as no going to/from work etc….

Obviously no kids though.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Is it the case that (some) Christmas spending would have occurred during the rest of the year if Christmas didn't exist.

I'm just thinking along the lines of a previous poster who said that if their child needed a new bike, for example, they wouldn't wait until Christmas to purchase one. My daughter has asked for a new Nintendo 3DS XL for Christmas (which she may or may not get as she understands there will be little else under the tree as it would require us and both sets of grandparents to chip in) but if Christmas didn't exist, would she still get it? We would probably end up giving her more pocket money so she could save and buy it herself, or we would spend more on her birthday.

Anyway, to answer the question, I would estimate that we spend something like £600 all told on Christmas. Including presents, food, drink, Christmas parties (with work and friends) new decorations (we always seem to have to replace some) etc.