House Price Crash Forum

Welsh Dreamers

FreeTrader

You're spot on with that observation... if it wasn't for early-retiree, ex-public sector boomers then Anglesey house prices would be more on a par with the likes of Rochdale, County Durham or the Welsh Valleys.

Isn't Anglesey going to be getting a few thousand new jobs with the big nuclear plant that's scheduled to be built there to replace Wylfa?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're spot on with that observation... if it wasn't for early-retiree, ex-public sector boomers then Anglesey house prices would be more on a par with the likes of Rochdale, County Durham or the Welsh Valleys.

Pretty much the same with all rural economies, expensive to maintain requiring miles of roads and communication networks for hardly any people; totally reliant on subsidies for farmers, boomers on final salary packages from the public sector and a few crumbs of welfare for the local kids with no jobs off the boomer's table.

Visiting places like Ceredigion it is very apparent there is no economic activity, the locals have become accustomed to a slow pace and you get the odd English boomer coming and buying up the odd Welsh mansion which will keep the local pub going with its astronomical lunch deals. I think they work on one English diner paying a £100 bill, and the local youth going in for a pint and singing Nationalistic anthems with a Zionistic zeal.

It's all good fun, but the vibe is strange and I think you would need to be born there to fit in.

Edited by crashmonitor

• 2 months later...

And here's me thinking that house prices have only risen 0.6% in Wales this year... it turns out they've actually risen 30%!

Nov 2014 - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43901032.html ***Sold price £68,000***

Dec 2015 - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38490708.html

Edit - Just realized the link isn't letting you see the old ad, which I've still got in my Rightmove watch list, but I can assure you not one penny has been spent on the property in the last 12 months!

Edited by mike74

Anyone after an ex public toilet on a grim council estate in an area where if you're very lucky you might just get a part-time, seasonal, NMW job... Yours for £50 under a £100k.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56571773.html

Take a look at the streetview to see that the surroundings aren't quite as bucolic as the initial pic suggets!