House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Grand Designs C4 - Just Started

just started - Looks like madness, a couple taking on a massive project (much more than needs - greedy?) & the only way they can afford it is by diong loads of vital jobs themselves.

Project

This is Belfast, one of the great cities of the industrial revolution, and home to Thomas and Dervla O’Hare. They’ve lived here for 18 years, and although they still love their tiny cottage for its compactness, they’re about to build something much, much bigger. They’re building a 21st century answer to the Roman villa, with a copper roof, glass and concrete walls and vast amounts of living space all arranged around a central courtyard.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I like Grand Designs, and it looks like a new one (or one I haven't seen).

Kevin will annoy me if he says - "Look how much money they have made!"

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-.../B/belfast.html

Project

This is Belfast, one of the great cities of the industrial revolution, and home to Thomas and Dervla O’Hare. They’ve lived here for 18 years, and although they still love their tiny cottage for its compactness, they’re about to build something much, much bigger. They’re building a 21st century answer to the Roman villa, with a copper roof, glass and concrete walls and vast amounts of living space all arranged around a central courtyard.

Virtual Tour - mms://video.channel4.com/life/microsites/vt_belfast.wmv

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Don't knock Grand designs. Those involved are as far removed as one could get from the the lazy something-for-nothing attitude that fuels housing market speculation. They usually bring enormous energy, take great risks and apply an unswerving integrity to their ambitions. And more often than not through their efforts they may have been enriched; but so has their's and our surroundings.

Don't knock Grand designs. Those involved are as far removed as one could get from the the lazy something-for-nothing attitude that fuels housing market speculation. They usually bring enormous energy, take great risks and apply an unswerving integrity to their ambitions. And more often than not through their efforts they may have been enriched; but so has their's and our surroundings.

Fair point, I know what you mean as we were complimenting the 'Grand Designs revisited' last week as the best one ever on this forum as it ws truly amazing. http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-...ex_woodman.html

From the intro, this one did seem like a disaster, but I think they do this to suck you. Rarely, if ever do we see a disaster on C4 property. I can't see why a couple need such a massive house though - unsustainable -maybe I missed something.

Kevins comments were' This house is extravagant, indulgent and environmentally wasteful, but at the same time it is beautiful and elegant and beguiling, and those are qualities which sort of make up for its sins. It has also taken a scrappy bit of hillside and turned it into something magical. It has enhanced it’s setting, and that is something few buildings can claim. That’s the power of great design. That is the power of architecture to redeem itself. "

Nah, don't like this one. Looks like a hotel on the spanish costas from the outside and bland, stark, bare and characterless inside.

Dead funny moment when Kevin thought their enormous kitchen work surfaces were 'some sort of plastic composite material' - only to be told it was some sort of exotic (and probably dead expensive) marble. That's the sort of foot in mouth comment I would have made :lol:

Having said all that, I'd put up with the place :D