House Price Crash Forum

More Inflationary Pressures

HOLA441
HOLA442

I work in the steel industry and the j.devine spokesman really hit the nail when he talks about all the different suppliers putting out increase letters within days of each other and there only being small differences,well this is the way it works, i am very supriced that the steel industry,as one culprit,has not been seriously looked at for the price fixing that is so obvious.cartel........no surely not!!

HOLA443
HOLA444

I work in the steel industry and the j.devine spokesman really hit the nail when he talks about all the different suppliers putting out increase letters within days of each other and there only being small differences,well this is the way it works, i am very supriced that the steel industry,as one culprit,has not been seriously looked at for the price fixing that is so obvious.cartel........no surely not!!

No doubt the demand from China has given them increased pricing power, remember many producers were running at a loss until recently. However the Chinese are now starting to get their own mills online so things might ease eventually, whether a decrease in demand from construction will offset increased energy costs is another matter.

This is an interesting squeeze, rapidly inflating material costs combined with falling demand and prices for finished property, not counting all the incentives offered by major house builders.

HOLA445

Why is everybody worrying about inflation? Despite the trillions that the Federal Reserve has ploughed into the US economy, one would expect a serious uptick in inflation, especially if you're a monetarist, like me. However, it just hasn't happened. Long term interest rates are actually pointing downwards.

All this just makes me even more certain that we're heading for economic disaster along the lines of Japan (deflation, nobody spending) and Argentina (debt default).

Inflation won't floor the economy, but central bankers may wish it had.

Also inflation erodes debt, which there's rather a lot of these days. So. no inflation=debt lingers longer.

OH DEAR

HOLA446

Also inflation erodes debt, which there's rather a lot of these days. So. no inflation=debt lingers longer.

It also trashes your currency in the process, as a good monetarist you will be in no doubt be aware of the classical forces of economic destruction currently exemplified in Zimbabwe.

Inflation is not a good thing for debt if it kills the economy in the process.