House Price Crash Forum

Up To £25,000 Available To Move To A Smaller Home

HOLA441

This has been going on for years, nothing new.......someone I knew got a pay out to leave their HA home, used the money as a deposit on a house, got repossessed neg equity and got a new HA place (kids involved)...that was in the last housing bust, late 80s early 90s. ;)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I don't intend to debate this any more with you.

I think you are a pernicious little sh*t to be quite honest with you and if you want to report that to mods go ahead. Do me a favour in fact, better things to do.

You've really added nothing to the debate yourself other than make ad hominem attacks on me.

I believe it was you who started with the ad homs, calling those on HPC hypocrites. When I challenged you about this you became evasive and attempted to deflect the discussion away from my quite reasonable statement.

You have now become aggressive and threatening because I accused you of intellectual dishonesty.

If you do not want to debate in a civil manner then I suggest that in future you do not throw out accusations at people that you are so obviously incapable of defending.

And I suggest that if you ever wonder what has gone wrong with this country you take a good look in the mirror because it is exactly people like you, and your selfish, arrogant attitudes that have put us all in this sht.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I think I know what bomber brown means though. Did you buy at the peak, lose 20% (on paper)

No, I bought at the bottom, and now live in a place that someone on equivalent wages could not afford.

[you] are now waiting for the govenment to sell council houses off so that the price goes back up because ex council houses will be stigma free?

Stigma? I doubt anyone would know this estate was LA built (I assumed it was private before the then owner explained the history).

However, yes I do think that the remaining state-owned properties should be sold, even though the increased supply would reduce prices and I would therefore lose out (on paper). It really is the best option for everyone in the end.

If so I understand your bitterness....

No bitterness, but I don't pretend to like the unfairness of state-subsidised housing.

HOLA4410

My perception of your bitterness towards council/social home renters.

I feel no bitterness to people personally. The system is broken though, and that I have a problem with.

I also happen to think that UK social housing as currently organised is parasitic, the cost being paid by thousands of ordinary taxpayers.

I've personally been lucky in the lottery that is UK housing, but I know many people much less fortunate.

HOLA4411

Being unemployed isn't the advantage you think it is.

Not at all. In Manchester, being a working household (one of the adults working for at least 16 hours a week- though there's an argument about whether that makes you a working household) gets you a higher priority. And I was told that in Fallowfield, the HA have a rule that half of all new lets have to be to working households. I was also told that if I was willing to accept a flat rather than a family home in the area, that combined with the fact that we're a working household meant we'd have a decent chance of getting something within a year. Bear in mind Fallowfield is one of the more popular areas of the City of Manchester. This is the north, but one of the places where there are still jobs- the City of Manchester isn't like London but nor is it like the jobs deserts in the region either.

Clearly there's considerable variation across the country, and I feel extremely fortunate to have secured a HA tenancy even in the least desirable area of south Manchester. But it isn't as impossible as one might think, particularly if you can take a less popular property such as an upstairs cottage flat. Incidentally, I have savings- only in four figures, but sufficient to interfere with any entitlement to income based benefits and to function as a 10% deposit if I bought in the area- and a reasonable though not large household income. Nobody ever asked me about either of those things. My rent is £325 a month: a couple of hundred quid lower than it would be in the private sector, but I highly doubt the property will cost more than this to maintain so, like you, I take issue with the 'subsidy' point.

... and at that point the test is a lot less stringent (since you will be ahead of most non-special people who are still waiting, even if their circumstances are a lot worse).

Are you sure about that? That isn't my understanding of the process. If you want a bigger one you can go on the waiting list, but you won't have higher priority over someone in an identical situation who privately rents.

HOLA4412

Are you sure about that? That isn't my understanding of the process. If you want a bigger one you can go on the waiting list, but you won't have higher priority over someone in an identical situation who privately rents.

I suspect luck plays a part in the process. HA's/ALMO's are under strict pressure to let within 30 days. Mine tries to relet within 28 days. I guess a lot of the waiting list is "soft." Not everyone can move immediately, not everyone will accept. It might just be the case that your number is next on the housing allocation officers list to phone and you are the one that actually answers!

I once went to a public viewing. and out of about a half dozen of us, it was apparent that only two were interested. I was one, but the other guy got it.

Edited by Socially Housed

HOLA4413

It differs based on where in the country you are, but a pdf that describes the rules in Lambeth has been posted earlier. You will see from that pdf that statutory overcrowding places an applicant into group B. That group always gets preference to applicants in groups D to H. You will also see that applies to council tenants only. If you are in the "mainstream" group H then that gives you 10 points instead, i.e. cuts about 5 years off your wait (you may be able to tick some of the other boxes if your accommodation is sufficiently decrepit or you use the living room to sleep in) but you stay in a group that is not even allowed to bid on some (most?) properties, never mind get automatic preference over anyone.

AFAIK, the statutory overcrowding rules are rather generous in that a house even for a family with two children (different sex and old enough) would need to have three bedrooms, and thus easily cost over £250000 if in London/SE. You can ask your favourite lender what sort of family income you'd need to support a sufficient mortgage. You may reasonably argue that is a reasonable standard to aim for, but it also seems obvious that not all people who pay their own bills without subsidies can afford that sort of luxury.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Ah ok. Well you're right that it differs across the country then. The process you describe is quite unlike my local situation. As such, statements about current council/HA tenants having priority over others need to be quantified.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/2171391.pdf

The relevent parts are the latter part of chapter 3 and chapter 4 "Framing an allocation scheme".

It looks like the DCLG have formed this as part of the whole Localism Bill, so all LAs will be different.

However, 4.4 "Reasonable Preference" applies to all.

HOLA4416

Yes I'm familiar with reasonable preference. My understanding, though, is that if for example a 2 bed HA tenant wants to move to a 3 bed and has 2 children of different sexes over 10, thus being 'overcrowded' they wouldn't receive preference over a private tenant in the same position. In my neck of the woods anyway. People who are over-occupying and want to downsize to a smaller property do get very high priority, but that's absolutely sensible and something we need to encourage.