House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Selling Our Flat

heffsta

HOLA441

Our landlord is selling our flat we live in, have been there for 4 years now. The agency wants to come and take interior photos for marketing on the website. Can I refuse this as it will show our stuff as it is unfurnished.

Any advice on this. I told them on the phone I did not want it done, just want to know where I stand legally.

HOLA442

Legally, when in contract you can refuse entry to anyone. the Landlord and Agency need to give 24 hours notice to enter the property unless it is on fire etc.

they can then give you a section 21 evition notice dated your last day of your contracted tennency. if you are on an AST they can serve you 2 months notice.

you cna advise them that you do not want them to enter for the purpose of obtaining photos of the interior untill you have legally vacated the premises at the end of your contractual term.

i'd do this in writting and sent recorded delivery.

you do not have to give viewings nothing.

HOLA443

I had a similar situation, the flat I was renting was put up for sale. There's a thread on it here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=104406

I did quite well out of it and in fact am still in the flat which is now under new ownership. My advice would be to try to avoid confrontation, "legal rights" etc and instead look to turn the situation to your advantage. The reality is if you're awkward you may be able to stop the agent taking pictures for a while but you'll be served notice and be out as quickly as the landlord is able. If you are reasonable and negotiate you might be able to enter into an agreement like I did and you may be able to save yourself some money and perhaps not have to move.

HOLA444

Our landlord is selling our flat we live in, have been there for 4 years now. The agency wants to come and take interior photos for marketing on the website. Can I refuse this as it will show our stuff as it is unfurnished.

Any advice on this. I told them on the phone I did not want it done, just want to know where I stand legally.

I don`t see the point in being obstructive, it is his flat after all? I would ask for £50 - £100 off the monthly rent, and say you don`t mind letting people in to view. Chances are you might get no one, depending on his price level? :lol: If he doesn`t want to reduce, just give notice immediately, instill a sense of panic into him :P

HOLA445
HOLA446

Don't allow them in your flat unless you're there :)

+1 make sure that only you have the keys. If you think the agent ahs another set, changes the locks TODAY. You'd be surprised how many will say "I called round and you werent in - thought it would be OK to take a couple of quick snaps"

HOLA447

Thank you for all the info.

I am not trying to be awkward with them or anything, I told them they could have pictures of the kitchen and bathroom, just not other rooms with our personal stuff in.

But just had a call and a big update. The property can't go for sale as they have found that there is evidence of subsidence in the block of flats. So they have to do full investigations first and depending on outcomes it could be awhile before it goes on sale. My main worry is that my wife is due to have our first baby at end of Feb 2013 so I really did not want to be house hunting near the due date.

Any one have an idea how long subsidence investigations take, for instance if the investigations find not much work needs to be done, how quickly realistically could it go back on sale. I still have a two month notice period I need from them. The agent told me realistically it could take 6 months, but I am still debating if I should just move out now whilst the wife is not too far pregnant. We do like the flat and it is a good rental price, less than anything we can get similar as we have been there a long time with no increases.

Cheers