House Price Crash Forum

Ftb Properties

Okay, I've been out viewing places now for a while and am a bit confused about what is out there and was hoping for some independant advice :)

Back story is that I'm a FTB in my mid 30's and am able to afford a property up to the value of £180,000 (getting an AIP for a property of this amount should be relatively straightfoward according to the FA I've seen).

My plan is to skip the base level properties that I would have considered in my early to mid 20's as I now want something a bit further up the ladder as I've got the means to do so. I'm not looking to spend more than £160,000 - more than likely on a S-D in S Belfast.

As a single person every time I view a S-D I get the impression that I'll be rattling around in these properties as they are too big for a single person. There is not much in terms of small S-D's to choose from. In terms of needs I want a garage/shed, good quiet neighbourhood and close to city centre. I'm willing to take on a project.

I've been registered on here long enough now to know the opinions of when to buy from the regulars, but this is a lifestyle choice for me and money is secondary.

I look at apartments but they are too claustraphobic, noisy and do not provide the garage/shed I require. Add on the maint fee's and its not far off a house.

Am I just going to have to deal with the size of semi-detached properties or is there something else out there that I've missed or not considered?

She gets preggers. We get married. We get divorced. I get kicked out. End up looking at the house that I bought and she now owns. No thanks. :blink:

Geez mate, if you go through life worrying that every woman is going get intentionally pregnant, fleece you and run off, taking your house in the process you will die a lonely and sad man. I agree with your reservations about owning a house that is too big for you as a single guy as you will have to heat it and maintain it which will cost more than say a small terrace house. The problem is that you want the grandeur of a house that befits your top budget but admit that these houses are too big for you, basically you are getting too much for your money now :lol: Who would have thought that this would be a problem given the shoe boxes people were paying 250k for 5 years ago. You can get decent average sized 3 bed semis in nice parts of Belfast for well below your budget so keep looking and don't go in thinking you have to buy something at the top end as you can move up when your circumstances change in future.

mate i would just go for the 3 bed semi and eventually it will suit your needs rather than buying something small and needing to move again.

keep an eye out for repos etc . no need to rush. winter will probably be a good time as people are fairly depressed!

i bid on my place (repo) in S.Belfast during last winter and completed in Jan/Feb. Its bigger than what we need now but eventually i am sure it will get filled!

oh and get out in belfast and enjoy yourself! <_<

I believe you are right to go for a semi on that budget. The convenience of an apartment are, in my view out weighed by the service charge and are ok for your 20's.

Whilst I am an VI I would still advise on going for a new build (albeit it can be a few years old)as compared to the 60 year old that has the character, look and smell of dry rot and high maintenance and running bills.

Geez mate, if you go through life worrying that every woman is going get intentionally pregnant, fleece you and run off, taking your house in the process you will die a lonely and sad man.

:D It was tongue in cheek reply to Doccy. Obviously, it didn't come across as intended!!!

Is the garage for your magazines?

Nah - you're old school. It's to store the servers...

I agree with your reservations about owning a house that is too big for you as a single guy as you will have to heat it and maintain it which will cost more than say a small terrace house. The problem is that you want the grandeur of a house that befits your top budget but admit that these houses are too big for you, basically you are getting too much for your money now

It's not so much that I want the 'grandeur' as you put it. I just have the budget to get something 'better' than a terrace. (Not meaning to offend anyone living in terraces).

I believe you are right to go for a semi on that budget. The convenience of an apartment are, in my view out weighed by the service charge and are ok for your 20's.

Not sure if anyone on here seen the Late Late Show on Friday night, but there was an architect on peddling his latest TV programme and he was making some interesting points about city living and how the apartments built here are nothing like that built on mainland Europe where they have associated garages, better build quality, proper green areas, etc. I can't vouch for what he was saying as I've not stayed in any apt's in Europe, but it seemed like a better system than what we have here.

Whilst I am an VI I would still advise on going for a new build (albeit it can be a few years old)as compared to the 60 year old that has the character, look and smell of dry rot and high maintenance and running bills.

I understand what you are saying, although differing advice which I've received is that it is better to buy in an established area.

I understand what you are saying, although differing advice which I've received is that it is better to buy in an established area.

Lived in a 3br semi myself for 5/6 years office in one bedroom, spare room for visitors, worked fine at least until there were 4 of us, now it feels way too small ;)

I started looking at smaller places but nothing came with a decent garage or room for one (one you can actually fit a proper sized car in + space) or anything remotely close to privacy or outdoor space with some peace.

New housing of the size your looking at tends to do away with the ideas of having decent garages/storage/outdoor space/peace/privacy(swear they design new estates panopticon style)/pavements/roads wide enough for cars etc etc.

Lived in a 3br semi myself for 5/6 years office in one bedroom, spare room for visitors, worked fine at least until there were 4 of us, now it feels way too small ;)

I started looking at smaller places but nothing came with a decent garage or room for one (one you can actually fit a proper sized car in + space) or anything remotely close to privacy or outdoor space with some peace.

New housing of the size your looking at tends to do away with the ideas of having decent garages/storage/outdoor space/peace/privacy(swear they design new estates panopticon style)/pavements/roads wide enough for cars etc etc.

My intention is to convert the small bedroom into an office and for a year or two anyway rent out the other room. I have noticed that many properties do not have sufficient space for modern cars to be taken of the roadside.

Many of the new builds which are small in size such as those in Wellington Place (off Annadale) or the development off the Ravenhill Rd (Bakers Court/Ardenlee) are rented out - I'd prefer to be in a area with settled neighbours who imo would be more likely to care for and maintain the place.

Visually - by looking at photos of kitchen bathroom with tape across taps /toilet to prevent use. Usually it is empty and could have the kitchen/plumbing ripped out.

Getting to know certain agents who deal with them. Look out for the agents who put public notices in the paper and propertynews saying they have an offer of so much for a house and you have so many days to increase it.

It's the only way I have been able to identify them. Phone up an agent and they won't tell you if it is a repo - 100% my experience.

There is also Colliers who are fixed charge receivers and they deal with the public and don't need to put a public notice in the paper.

Doccyboy I have a question about repos, if you have an offer accepted on a repo and a public notice offer has been placed (It's a requirement right?) If there is a 2 weeks deadline to exchange contracts, and someone puts in a higher offer and you match it, is there a new 2 week deadline for completion or are other offers only considered up until the contracts exchange deadline that was originally agreed?

• 2 weeks later...

These two properties were on my "hot property" feed this morning. It really is amazing how little you get for £160,000 for a new build in Belfast.

Both detached, but I'd say the one in Magherafelt must be twice the size. Both built (i imagine) to the same building regs.

Good to see the Belfast one has dropped 10% in the past year.. Still way overpriced.

http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Dundonald/ECHECH18466/62-Coopers-Mill/

VS

http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Magherafelt/BHOBHO1413/8-Cedar-Park/