House Price Crash Forum

Is The Glass Half Empty... Or Half Full?

I can't believe the defeatist attitudes that have been shown on here with the Nationwide results. You have to EXPECT all the VI's especially the MORTGAGE LENDERS to show a positive spin about the state of the market. If you read the bbc reporting of it, I actually think its very bearish.

THe HEADLINE had to be property prices up but then they sort of apoligise and say "stop, dont think everything is ok, coz it isn't". This is talking down the market but using figures (from god knows where) to show a positive side to a bad situation.

The other point I want to make is that considering we have had an interest rate drop 3-4 months ago. Only being a 0.3% rise is FANTASTIC. The VI's and EA's thought the IR cut was the thing that would spur the market from a heavy decline - IT DID NEXT TO NOTHING!

The positive figure on the report is probably due to the fact that the majority of the properties selling are the HIGHER prices properties as they are getting the BIGGEST discounts. There for the TOP end of the market is the only area that seems to be a little bouyant. As we know the bottom and middle rungs are the masses and they are doing absolutely shyte!

Chin up - They have no other reasons to talk the market up now - they have had their IR cut - what can they use now??

TB

Edited by teddyboy
Guest Time 2 raise Interest Rates

Well, I must say the Nationwide figures today have just confirmed

to me, without a shadow of a doubt, that their figures are rigged.

They just come up with a figure to suit what way the wind's blowing

with regards to interest rates. Up until last week, there was a pretty

good case for those calling for a rate cut so the Nationwide were

publicising monthly falls, now all of a sudden, when they know a rate

cut is pretty much out of the question, we suddenly get a 1.3%

monthly rise. Crooks, the lot of them.

I was talking to a conveyancer today. He said they had made redundancies before last xmas, but work had picked up slightly now.

None of this bullish news bothers me. It just means that more of tomorrows earnings will be pumped into overvalued property.

If this property was in a resource rich or industrially strong country I could understand the speculation. It's not. It's in a country where the main industries are fuelled by consumer debt.

Even if the bubble took off again it would make the bang even bigger.

Yes, why worry?

Edited by dom
Guest muttley

It's like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

I can't believe the defeatist attitudes that have been shown on here with the Nationwide results. You have to EXPECT all the VI's especially the MORTGAGE LENDERS to show a positive spin about the state of the market. If you read the bbc reporting of it, I actually think its very bearish.

THe HEADLINE had to be property prices up but then they sort of apoligise and say "stop, dont think everything is ok, coz it isn't". This is talking down the market but using figures (from god knows where) to show a positive side to a bad situation.

The other point I want to make is that considering we have had an interest rate drop 3-4 months ago. Only being a 0.3% rise is FANTASTIC. The VI's and EA's thought the IR cut was the thing that would spur the market from a heavy decline - IT DID NEXT TO NOTHING!

The positive figure on the report is probably due to the fact that the majority of the properties selling are the HIGHER prices properties as they are getting the BIGGEST discounts. There for the TOP end of the market is the only area that seems to be a little bouyant. As we know the bottom and middle rungs are the masses and they are doing absolutely shyte!

Chin up - They have no other reasons to talk the market up now - they have had their IR cut - what can they use now??

TB

I thought you'd be watching the game?

Doesn't look like that where I live. While househunting i've noticed that majority of properties selling are in the sub-250K bracket. And tons in the sub-120K bracket. Loads selling in the much more expensive range too but not nearly as many as the cheaper ones.

So what is your explanation? Some mysterious force acting in the universe to push up the price of the houses that it is most difficult to justify rising in economic terms? I think your anectdote is a bit flimsy, don't you?

Doesn't look like that where I live. While househunting i've noticed that majority of properties selling are in the sub-250K bracket. And tons in the sub-120K bracket. Loads selling in the much more expensive range too but not nearly as many as the cheaper ones.

yeah, but you live somewhere out there near Pluto don't you ? :)

The Times

WED 10 OCT 1990

Small rise for house prices

House prices in Britain rose slightly during September, their first increase for three months, confirming that the slump in the south of England has levelled out, according to the Halifax Building Society. Its survey, prepared before last week's drop...

Each time I see one of these one off rise reports, a quick scan of the headlines

from last time around helps immensely. (See FAQ)

BTW They slumped again the following month :D

ABB

I certainly don’t believe the figures are rigged, however I’m sure the figures can be ‘presented’ in such a way to further there own ends. Anyone with any common sense will realise the reports will be biased in favour of there own agendas, which really isn’t surprising, after all they are only doing their job of protecting their investments.

However I think posters need to be careful when responding to unfavourable housing reports, other than simply saying they are rigged, otherwise there is a danger that the site will lose creditability.

"However I think posters need to be careful when responding to unfavourable housing reports, other than simply saying they are rigged, otherwise there is a danger that the site will lose creditability."

Hear Hear.

Anything can be spun any which way depending on your point of view or vested interest. Just read between the lines. There may even be a little bit of a rise these last couple of months but after all is said and a Prices will comedown, end of.

As an aside, have not posted here in ages now that there seems to be definite downward momentum, so dont feel the need so much. However I cant find how to do quotes on this new style forum. Any Hints for an idle , cant-be-arsed-to-look-and-find-out-himself poster ?

yeah, but you live somewhere out there near Pluto don't you ? :)

I've never understood "Apollo1966" either.

The first official 'Apollo' mission woz in Jan 1967 (all 3 Astronauts burned to death :o )

:blink: