House Price Crash Forum

Make your own.

I used to think breadmakers were your typical desperate xmas present, straight in the back of the cupboard, type of appliance.

Couldn't have been more wrong.

Lidl white bread flour is 60p ish a bag and stronger wholemeal stuff is around a pound.

You can get 3 loaves out of a bag of flour. I mix them together. Ace loaves.

Chuck in some vitamin c powder (ground up tablets) and copious amounts of seeds, in addition to the basic requirements, and you're in bready heaven.

Not bought a loaf for 5 months.

Also got 4 ducks and i'm selling their eggs for 1.50 a half dozen. Undercutting Waitrose by 69p.

Free eggs, and the sales pay for their corn and mash.

And ducks are hilarious creatures to have around. They should keep laying for a few years.

Ive been buying the frozen bags of paella in Lidl on and off for years.

Its been £1.79 for a dogs age, just gone up to £1.99.

Bean tins are shrinking by the month.

The squeeze continueth.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 pints of milk in morrisons

last week £1.18

this week £1.49 FFS!

(Still a quid in Asda)

The price price may be low but the cost (destruction of the British dairy farmer) is very high. Keep buying from Asda and then merrily complain when all milk is eventually imported.

The price price may be low but the cost (destruction of the British dairy farmer) is very high. Keep buying from Asda and then merrily complain when all milk is eventually imported.

Most of us have to compete on price, I'm not sure what's so special about dairy farmers that they shouldn't have to. Maybe I should pay somebody who bought their house in 2007 the same as they paid for it plus the cost of the improvements they subsequently made, after all it wouldn't be fair if I didn't cover their costs.

I have never once complained about the fact that all bananas are imported.

Make your own.

I used to think breadmakers were your typical desperate xmas present, straight in the back of the cupboard, type of appliance.

Couldn't have been more wrong.

Lidl white bread flour is 60p ish a bag and stronger wholemeal stuff is around a pound.

You can get 3 loaves out of a bag of flour. I mix them together. Ace loaves.

Chuck in some vitamin c powder (ground up tablets) and copious amounts of seeds, in addition to the basic requirements, and you're in bready heaven.

Not bought a loaf for 5 months.

Also got 4 ducks and i'm selling their eggs for 1.50 a half dozen. Undercutting Waitrose by 69p.

Free eggs, and the sales pay for their corn and mash.

And ducks are hilarious creatures to have around. They should keep laying for a few years.

Ive been buying the frozen bags of paella in Lidl on and off for years.

Its been £1.79 for a dogs age, just gone up to £1.99.

Bean tins are shrinking by the month.

The squeeze continueth.

Same here. Breadmaker runs overnight using cheap electricity, and even using Spelt flour at £2 a bag, a decent loaf turns out cheaper than any of the Chorleywood rubbish on sale. We don't sell our duck eggs, but we reckon they cost us about 75p for 6, but then we don't have to buy slug pellets for the garden.

What breed do you have? We have runners, best pets I've ever known.

My farmer friend tells me he lost a huge amount of money last year growing wheat, but this year he recovered it all, because of the poor harvests elsewhere. His landlord (a Cambridge college) is still trying to evict him, as the farm buildings alone are worth more than a working farm.

Edited by corevalue

Watched a program last week about Corfu and an ex-pat was ordering food from UK supermarkets (think it was Tesco?). It cost a chap in a van £1,000 to pick it up in the UK and deliver it to Greece but he still made a profit and it despite what he charged customers it was still cheaper for them than buying in Greece.

Watched a program last week about Corfu and an ex-pat was ordering food from UK supermarkets (think it was Tesco?). It cost a chap in a van £1,000 to pick it up in the UK and deliver it to Greece but he still made a profit and it despite what he charged customers it was still cheaper for them than buying in Greece.

Not sure about Tesco, but my friends in France place wholesale orders from the UK for lots of cupboard stuff and it comes often less than half price of French prices. They keep most for themselves (run small B&B/retreat centre) and share some with friends/neighbours.

Same here. Breadmaker runs overnight using cheap electricity, and even using Spelt flour at £2 a bag, a decent loaf turns out cheaper than any of the Chorleywood rubbish on sale. We don't sell our duck eggs, but we reckon they cost us about 75p for 6, but then we don't have to buy slug pellets for the garden.

What breed do you have? We have runners, best pets I've ever known.

My farmer friend tells me he lost a huge amount of money last year growing wheat, but this year he recovered it all, because of the poor harvests elsewhere. His landlord (a Cambridge college) is still trying to evict him, as the farm buildings alone are worth more than a working farm.

Cherry Valley. 2 with orange beaks, 2 with yellow beaks.

Took a while to lay and now they are banging out lovely big white eggs.

People are enthusiastic when they come to the door. Its all good.

Not looking forward to cleaning their pond in the winter though.

Might have to get an old bath and sink it in their "ranch". Will drain quicker.

Got clay soil here, terrible drainage.

I'd say they're the 4 most pampered ducks in Dorset.

Didn't realise they were so sheep like. The phrase "ducks in a line" is well observed.

They make me chuckle every day.

Cherry Valley. 2 with orange beaks, 2 with yellow beaks.

Took a while to lay and now they are banging out lovely big white eggs.

People are enthusiastic when they come to the door. Its all good.

Not looking forward to cleaning their pond in the winter though.

Might have to get an old bath and sink it in their "ranch". Will drain quicker.

Got clay soil here, terrible drainage.

I'd say they're the 4 most pampered ducks in Dorset.

Didn't realise they were so sheep like. The phrase "ducks in a line" is well observed.

They make me chuckle every day.

Would love to keep ducks, hens and geese. Keeping the foxes away can be tough though.

Who cares? It's convenient, just chuck it in the toaster, and there are no bits of bird seed to get stuck in your teeth :lol:.

I'm fairly health concious when it comes to eating, but I much prefer ordinary white bread for toast!

A little of what you fancy does you good and as long as people aren't subsisting on white bread, I'm sure they'll be fine.

As for those of you with bread makers... just make it by hand, cheaper still, a bit of exercise, and good practice for the end of days... :ph34r:;)

Just been to tesco and was going to get a loaf....picked up the hovis loaf I normally get, the price had gone up to £1.49. I couldn't believe it, its gone up 25% in a couple of months!!! I put it back.

It then struck me....the governments solution to the economic crisis is to make everything as expensive as houses.

I wish I was joking but this is what is happening.

Tbf i don't think this is the coalition's intention because rising consumer prices negatively impact "asset" (house) prices - every extra penny we pay in food prices reduces our ability to pay for housing commensurately.

They could always raise the minimum wage to £10 p/h for example and reduce the value of the debt that way, but this is far too bold a move for our spineless government (not that I support such a move, but it would be a brave way to tackle the debt)

Edited by Authoritarian

When the soldiers disembarked from the trains that eventually carried them home, they found that the women left behind had endured their own ordeal. Everywhere food rationing had been instituted by the spring of 1915, but food shortages nonetheless became the daily reality. In the winter of 1916-17, children five to seven years old in Essen were allotted only one-quarter liter of milk three times per week. The city authorities noted that the bread was almost unpalatable because of all sorts of additives-bean flour and sometimes even sawdust-used to compensate for the shortages of wheat and rye.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/books/1021-1st-weitz.html?ref=review&pagewanted=all&_r=0

The price goes up, but the cheap bread, how do they keep the price down?

I'm fairly health concious when it comes to eating, but I much prefer ordinary white bread for toast!

A little of what you fancy does you good and as long as people aren't subsisting on white bread, I'm sure they'll be fine.

As for those of you with bread makers... just make it by hand, cheaper still, a bit of exercise, and good practice for the end of days... :ph34r:;)

Actually, it's cheaper in the breadmaker. I put a consumption meter on my machine, it uses 300 Watt-hours to process a loaf (knead, bake). If you put it into the oven, it has to be at a high temperature and uses way more than that just pre-heating.

I have made bread in the BBQ :)