House Price Crash Forum

1.49 For A Hovis Loaf

HOLA441

Just been to tesco and was going to get a loaf....picked up the hovis loaf I normally get, the price had gone up to £1.49. I couldn't believe it, its gone up 25% in a couple of months!!! I put it back.

It then struck me....the governments solution to the economic crisis is to make everything as expensive as houses.

I wish I was joking but this is what is happening.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Just been to tesco and was going to get a loaf....picked up the hovis loaf I normally get, the price had gone up to £1.49. I couldn't believe it, its gone up 25% in a couple of months!!! I put it back.

It then struck me....the governments solution to the economic crisis is to make everything as expensive as houses.

CO-op XL FR eggs - used to be 2.11 for 6.. now 2.29 ridiculous

HOLA443

Err - yeah. It's a default in real terms but not in nominal. They are inflating away *some* of the debt. Soft default.

If they continue on this path it will of course (probably literally) kill all pensioners, so I think they will stop it soon, assuming it's still in their hands.

Inflation is not *the* solution on it's own. But it is the only one the government has enacted successfully so far.

ps Hovis is IMHO horrible. £1.50 - I'm amazed - I thought it would be 80p. My local baker's is £1.90 for a loaf that isn't going to ruin my alimentary canal.

Edited by bmf

HOLA444
HOLA445

Discussed on R4 the other day - globally grain production significantly down due to bad weather. Notably Russia, Brazil. This has knock on effect on meat production, as grains are used in feeds.

I'm eating more beans, and rice, as too much bread gives me a bad stomach, and it stores relatively infinitely longer than bread.

---

w.gif

^Chicago Wheat

Historically, there are theories that once great civilizations fell, due to changes in weather and thus leading to prolonged food shortages.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Discussed on R4 the other day - globally grain production significantly down due to bad weather. Notably Russia, Brazil. This has knock on effect on meat production, as grains are used in feeds.

I'm eating more beans, and rice, as too much bread gives me a bad stomach, and it stores relatively infinitely longer than bread.

---

w.gif

^Chicago Wheat

Historically, there are theories that once great civilizations fell, due to changes in weather and thus leading to prolonged food shortages.

Screw the weather, look where the chart starts to curl up and the beginning of the noughties.

When the loose money starts.

It hit housing first, now everything else is following as they do not want housing to fall. iority.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

White loaves 49p in Lidl today.

47p in Aldi and it is passable.... A slice of bread is a slice of bread after all........... I find them all pretty much the same. Cept Lidl bread seems to disintegrate in the toaster.

Don't suppose it will hold there for to much longer though............

HOLA4412

In our local Co-op you can buy an own brand wholemeal loaf for 80p or pay 130p for a Hovis / other brand.

There can't be many food items where the difference between own brand and "TV brand" is so great.

Cheapest loaf in Sainsburys is 75p

Funny enough I've just been reading up about Elizabethan Poor Law relief and it was all based on the cost of a "gallon loaf."

One of the effects of the Speenhamland System was that ratepayers often found themselves subsidising the owners of large estates who paid poor wages. It was not unknown for landowners to demolish empty houses in order to reduce the population on their lands and also to prevent the return of those who had left

Funny reading this stuff. Does any of it sound vaguely familiar? laugh.gif

Edited by Socially Housed

HOLA4413

I know, bought a cheese baguette from sandwich shop last week as forgot my lunch. £3.50!!!! For a friggin' baguette!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Businessweek has some commentary from the hovis folks (among others). It's not just the devaluation of the pound, it's the weather.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-08/worst-u-dot-k-dot-wheat-in-generation-means-hovis-uses-more-grain

I suspect fluctuating use of discounting staples to attract custom is muddying the water somewhat and disguisng the trends and main cause.

From your linked article:

The average price of an 800 gram (1.8-pound) loaf of white, sliced bread in the U.K. was 1.22 pounds in August, up 1.7 percent from a year earlier while still below the all-time high of 1.28 pounds recorded in December 2008, according to the Office of National Statistics

From 2008:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/24/10/2008/112768/DEFRA-2008-harvest-estimates-point-to-record-wheat-crop.htm

DEFRA 2008 harvest estimates point to record wheat crop

Paul Spackman

Friday 24 October 2008 11:30

Harvest estimate

The first official DEFRA estimates of the 2008 cereal harvest show that the UK produced a bumper wheat harvest of 17.5m tonnes, an increase of 32% on 2007.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Not long now then till discretionary spending collapses.

A straw poll of customers at this store – just across the road from its arguably more well-heeled and soon-to-expand competitor Waitrose – reveals that shoppers of all ages and from all social backgrounds are more worried about price hikes than anything else when it comes to making their produce choices.

This mirrors findings from a recent government survey which showed that in May the main food issue of concern to 63% of respondents was food prices – an increase from 60% in November last year

HOLA4420

Not long now then till discretionary spending collapses.

A straw poll of customers at this store – just across the road from its arguably more well-heeled and soon-to-expand competitor Waitrose – reveals that shoppers of all ages and from all social backgrounds are more worried about price hikes than anything else when it comes to making their produce choices.

This mirrors findings from a recent government survey which showed that in May the main food issue of concern to 63% of respondents was food prices – an increase from 60% in November last year

Lovely! Keep on squeezing - I'm not hearing enough pips.

However it shows how daft people are - if you are near your limit why are you at Waitrose? They could put bread up to £20 and I'd be fine but even I don't shop there!

HOLA4421

Cheapest loaf in Sainsburys is 75p

Funny enough I've just been reading up about Elizabethan Poor Law relief and it was all based on the cost of a "gallon loaf."

Funny reading this stuff. Does any of it sound vaguely familiar? laugh.gif

Indeed. An individual landowner, knowing that everyone else (and himself) would pick up the tab for his workers being paid low wages, had an incentive to do just that. The result was that his workers were not paid a living wage and of course every other landowner had the same idea. All the landowners, clergy, merchants etc who paid the levy for the poor were up in arms about how much of a burden it was to pay these taxes and got a bit shirty when the peasants rioted a bit. The obvious solution of paying a living wage didn't occur to them.

Nothing new under the sun.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425