House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dubsie

Do You Run A Business?

I want to Poll other business users to try and see whats going on in the economy.

Is trading in 2005 a lot worse than 2004 and if so are you considering making staff cuts in the new year.

Guest growl

I want to Poll other business users to try and see whats going on in the economy.

Is trading in 2005 a lot worse than 2004 and if so are you considering making staff cuts in the new year.

Lots of people on here either work for themselves or run a business. Do a proper poll then you will get a better reaction. :)

Hi Dubsie.

I don't own my own company, but pretty much run the company I work for. I work for a food exporter, and I can definately say price increases are coming thick and fast (waaaaay more than inflation). Transport increases are shooting up too, as i'm sure everyone is aware (airline fuel/war surcharges are increasing every month 29p per KG compared with 3p at the start of the year!). But the air-transport costs are easy to pass on to our customers as most of our business is sea containers (so it's optional to take products by air).

Overall, we're doing well as the East is doing rather well, and orders are increasing. We have also taken on a new customer which has been a major boost for us. Also, the failing pound helps!

We also do smaller amount of business in Europe, and since the start of the year food orders have virtually stopped (down 70% YOY), although the Xmas rush is starting ( :angry: ). This doesn't bother me though, as this counts for less than 1-2% of turnover.

It would be interesting to hear from others whose business is in this country!

I own and manage a Building Business (mainly residential refurbishment and fit-out projects). In general, trading conditions are the same as last year. Our order book is full (to Xmas but an unfortunate aspect of bulding work is that orders can be pulled or work delayed at the last minute) and we are bidding for a lot more business currently. The nature of our projects has changed slightly from last year in that last year we completed more large projects where all or most areas of the property were refurbished whereas this year we have had more smaller projects where only one or two rooms have been refurbished (e.g a kitchen and a bathroom refurb rather than a full house refurb). it is impossible to tell if this is due to any external factors or market forces because in the building business (I guess like most other businesses) the amount of business we have is relative to the amount of marketing effort we make (i.e the more time I spend in front of customers selling our services the more business we get).

We are in the process of expanding so i don't anticiapte making any staff cuts (not in overall numbers anyway). I have just hired a foreman and a finance adminstrator and i expect to take on more contracting staff over the next few months. From what we are seeing there is very strong demand for our services. We have significantly increased our prices since last year and so far this has not made any differnce to our work-load. Our costs have risen in some areas (staffing being one it is very hard to find good people and when you do you need to pay for them - incidently in construction this is likely to get a lot worse over the next few years as there is a massive skills shortage and rates of pay are increasing rapidly as firms try to ensure they recruit the best people e.g. a good senior construction Project Manager can now earn almost as much as a City based IT Project Manager). Increased Fuel costs also have an impact on our cost base but these can often be "hiden". Some other building materials costs have actually gone down significantly (the China effect?).

Tax is our number one expense as with all business (we are not big enough to do off-shore co. structered finance deals to minimise our taxation yet!) we also act as unpaid tax collectors for HM Govenment (PAYE, NIC, CIS and VAT all collected at our expense - this can have a big impact on a small co.) and an endless burden of regulation but this is the same for everyone i business.

BTW in another example of over taxation, we are looking to move into a commercial premises and the local Governement Business Rates we have been given by the valuer are HIGHER than the annual rental amount we have negotiated. this means the local council gets more money from the deal than the landlord this is simply wrong! (we are appealing this and when I questioned the valuer about the huge amount and the fact that it would make the deal uneconomic and we may have to take premises elsewhere his attitude was " you seem to have confused me for some-one who gives a sh*t ..." So much for the ENTERPRISE culture!

My mum owns a manufacturing company. She has had to reduce her full time working hours for the staff a while back. She's 58 now and is due to retire soon. When I ask her what she is going to do with the co. she just laughs and says she waiting on the banks pulling the plug. (this has happened many times and she has always managed to bounce back - mabye she can't be bothered with the fight anymore) She has said that getting business over these years has been harder and harder as it is all being outsourced abroad and she often moaned about the strong pound killing her profits. It is the rag trade though and they are a dying breed in the UK.

" you seem to have confused me for some-one who gives a sh*t ..."

Is this not what the Government says to everyone as they continue to line their pockets with tax payers money (legally or illegally!)

Is this not what the Government says to everyone as they continue to line their pockets with tax payers money (legally or illegally!)

Yes you are right, it is the same for everyone. I guess I was a little surprised that the Local Government doesn't seem concerned that this attitude is discouraging to small businesses who are interested in setting up in their area afterall we are told the NuLab stands for the enterprise culture and that they want to encourage new businesses/entrepreneurs.

I am not expecting a tax break (although if I was a very large business i would get one) but I am expecting to pay a fair amount based on the rent we have negotiated (not the arbitrary rent the valuer think the premises are worth " ... if they were converted ..." [we are not converting the premises at all]).

Maybe he was expecting a bung? does anyone on this forum know if this is how these deals are done? Should I make a cash ofer to the valuer to "re-evaluate the valuation"? I am undertaking an official appeal but I don't know if this will work either.