House Price Crash Forum
right_freds_dead

What A Typical London Wage ?

whats the typical wages of an average londoner/south easty worker.?

im not talking city whizzkids so please no 80k suggestions. im thinking you still have a B&Q down there which has workers on typical wages. i mean - are there a lot of £5ph workers in that area ? or are they getting slightly more on average.

whats a london postman on.

a bus driver.

a dixons shop worker.

surely not all of you in the south are like harry enfields loadsamoney character earning sky rocket consultant wages ?

im trying to guage how far the market could go up compared to the wage gap, and all i hear from the south is 34k, 28k ect. im thinking - no way as you use all the same minimum wage services we do in the north. only you have sky rocket prices.

im thinking if londoners can cope on £7ph as a bus driver and pay £220k for a terrace, then the north will follow.

so give me your estimate/knowledge of the above occupations pay scales.

my guesses are...

£8.50p a london postman.

£9.00 a bus driver.

£8.00 a dixons shop worker.

im not talking city whizzkids so please no 80k suggestions. im thinking you still have a B&Q down there which has workers on typical wages. i mean - are there a lot of £5ph workers in that area ? or are they getting slightly more on average.

a bus driver.

a dixons shop worker.

surely not all of you in the south are like harry enfields loadsamoney character earning sky rocket consultant wages ?

im trying to guage how far the market could go up compared to the wage gap, and all i hear from the south is 34k, 28k ect. im thinking - no way as you use all the same minimum wage services we do in the north. only you have sky rocket prices.

im thinking if londoners can cope on £7ph as a bus driver and pay £220k for a terrace, then the north will follow.

my guesses are...

£8.50p a london postman.

£9.00 a bus driver.

If I remember correctly, tube drivers get 35k pa (17 ph) roughly, and met police start at 29k (approx 15 ph) when in training rising quickly after that. There's a lot of money down here.

Pub - £5.00 going to 5.50 soonish

McD's - not much more

Typical shop worker - same

If I remember correctly, tube drivers get 35k pa (17 ph) roughly, and met police start at 29k (approx 15 ph) when in training rising quickly after that. There's a lot of money down here.

Pub - £5.00 going to 5.50 soonish

McD's - not much more

Typical shop worker - same

I'm on £27k plus bonuses - in the financial sector. There are plenty in my organisation and around who are on much less than this.

Bus drivers get pretty good wedge I think - certainly much more than me.

Yeah, there's loads of retail jobs. Equally, there's plenty of benefit scamming and criminal money around.

Most of the people I know in their 20s live with their families. Of course, this is accentuated by the fact that a lot of these families are not British, so it is not considered so shocking to do so

£30k - I think it is a case of the mean being distorted by the extremly high wages paid to the few (few in terms of the sample; there are lots of fat cats in London).

There are still pleanty of people in London on the minimum wage, and less.

I'm on £27k plus bonuses - in the financial sector.

no no no no NO...!!

sheesh !!!

GUYS !!!

look around you ?

how did you get here today, who hoovered the office carpet ? what are you eating and how/who made it ?

what are the wages of THESE people in london ?

..clue...its not 30k...

Edited by right_freds_dead

Most national retailers (e.g. supermarkets, highstreet chains) don't have regional wage structures outside of London. (many probably don't even have one for London)

Therefore your average tesco worker earns the same in the south east as they do in the north east. Which will be minimum wage pretty soon. (£5.50ish per hour)

My company, however, does operate a regional wage structure. Being in the south east I am supposed to get and extra 3% over the average for my role. I think London is about 6% extra. So basically, not that much difference really.

Seem's to have caused some confusion. By typical do you mean most common?

yes. common.

common wages earned by common people.

think of how you set off to work this morning.

did you catch a bus. whats the driver earning.

did you fill with petrol and drive. - whats the forecourt man getting paid. what do the city cctv operators get.

train journey sir ? - how much was the guard on. the driver. the cleaner at the station ?

are you sitting comfortably for the new figures from geneva or tokyo ?

how much did the office furniture guy get for hauling your chair up 4 flights of steps ?

eating a butty in a converted railway buffet coach called steamers at lunch old bean ?

who cut the asparagus tips ?

trying to chat up the new office junior after work at gresers wine bar ?

what does the waitress earn ?

all of these people live in london, yet seen to reside SOMEWHERE ?

if these people on these wages are putting up with it, then us lemmings in the north on mostly poor wages like that will undoubtedly follow the trendy london things into mass housing hypnosis and into huge debt. i can therefore see prices in the north rising to match these levels, and not crashing down as expected.

perhaps this crash if it comes, will be london based, while theres still a dollar to squeeze from your average, rizzla rolling, swallow tatooed northern bus driver.

all they have to do is swallow the worm.....

a bus driver.

a dixons shop worker.

my guesses are...

£8.50p a london postman.

£9.00 a bus driver.

Do you want stats for average Londoners, or for poorly paid people like shop assistants? In 2004, the median full-time salary in London was £28,456. The mean was £39,107. Yes, there are significant numbers of people in fairly low-paid jobs like shop assistants and bar staff, but in London those aren't the "average" people, they're a minority. "Average" people have decent middle class or skilled manual jobs and are paid in the high 20,000s or better.

Yes, there are significant numbers of people in fairly low-paid jobs like shop assistants and bar staff, but in London those aren't the "average" people, they're a minority. "Average" people have decent middle class or skilled manual jobs and are paid in the high 20,000s or better.

i dont think so.

i think for every city type there are 10 supporting minimum wage earners feeding off them like pilot fish.

these people - where do they live >? how do they cope ?

a bus driver.

a dixons shop worker.

my guesses are...

£8.50p a london postman.

£9.00 a bus driver.

Here y'are fred

Underground driver Oct 2005

Tube drivers are on a BASIC £30,401 for a 35 hour week!

(These peeps can ALWAYS be found having a 'sickie' round of golf on sunny days - I know coz I used to play golf with them when I woz a student!)

How does that campare with a Manchester Tram driver then?

From a visiting student site

"A typical wage for non-skilled work (e.g. in a cafe) in London is about £5 per hour. Some jobs pay more or less and may also offer the possibility to earn tips (e.g. waitress)." WOW!

But remember the age groups as well, as some of these workers probably would have bought when prices were cheaper (early '93 or

council RTB). Therefore they may be on low salary now, but have already bought and hence the comparison of affordability and wage

may not correlate.

So maybe the salaries reflected should be grouped into ages and whether or not they are homeowners. This would then show the affordability

e.g. 30k may have got you somewhere 10 years ago, but now probably not.

Do you want stats for average Londoners, or for poorly paid people like shop assistants? In 2004, the median full-time salary in London was £28,456. The mean was £39,107. Yes, there are significant numbers of people in fairly low-paid jobs like shop assistants and bar staff, but in London those aren't the "average" people, they're a minority. "Average" people have decent middle class or skilled manual jobs and are paid in the high 20,000s or better.

I'm stunned by that. Without sounding rude Zorn what is the source.

To me that suggests a huge hidden economy in the capital not picked up in the figures that you quote.

pah !

everyones missing the point.

your entire city is run by underground worker mice on £5-7ph often unseenat night. making sandwiches, delivering goods to shops. cleaning the offices and refuelling the trains.

no one is speaking for those people.

30k train drivers. we have 30k train drivers int he north.

we also have sandwich makers on £7ph. do you ?

id say 80% of the london population that actually work in the city get no more than £8ph.

Underground driver Oct 2005

Tube drivers are on a BASIC £30,401 for a 35 hour week!

(These peeps can ALWAYS be found having a 'sickie' round of golf on sunny days - I know coz I used to play golf with them when I woz a student!)

Massively more than they are worth IMO, & I think most end up with much more than this.

pah !

your entire city is run by underground worker mice on £5-7ph often unseenat night. making sandwiches, delivering goods to shops. cleaning the offices and refuelling the trains.

id say 80% of the london population that actually work in the city get no more than £8ph.

I'm not missing the point.

I'm not missing the point.

i know. your about the only one.

so much for the fourth largest economy !!!!!

its a f*cking sheen !!!!!

**edit.

i think ive finnaly worked out how our country survivies without a manufaturing base.

big financial sharks earn mega global dollar, then these funds trickle into our own economy via services.

we have i worked out from the above posts, a minority of huge earners who feed the rest of us pilot fish a small living, keeping control of housing as one of the carrots to keeps us happy and productive, servicing our host sharks.

mmmmmm.....!!

so its not a sheen. its a capitalist dictatorship of sorts. the kind your mother warned you about.

(loads shotgun..aims at heart...)

I'm stunned by that. Without sounding rude Zorn what is the source.

To me that suggests a huge hidden economy in the capital not picked up in the figures that you quote.

Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings on the National Statistics website. Google for "ahse earnings" to get there quickly. I'm just quoting figures from the most recent one, for 2004, by economic region.

Of course, you really ought to add 5% to the figures I quoted to allow for salary increases in the sixteen months since mid 2004.

Most of the cleaners and stuff in London are illegals anyway so they are on like £3ph.

An average middle class council / private sector office job in non Sq Mile London is around 25-30k.

Most low paid jobs like bus drivers are supported via 'psuedo' single mums, i.e. mum gets full benefits and daddy chav lives there on the sly.

And you'd be wrong. 50% of the full-time-working London population get (by now, as compared to 2004) in excess of £30,000 per year. Even if you assume they're all working 50 hour weeks, that's over £12.50 per hour. As I said before, I'm not saying that your poorly paid sandwich makers and shop workers don't exist, but they are a minority. You have to decide if you want to talk about poor Londoners or about average Londoners, because the average Londoner is not poor.

Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings on the National Statistics website. Google for "ahse earnings" to get there quickly. I'm just quoting figures from the most recent one, for 2004, by economic region.

Of course, you really ought to add 5% to the figures I quoted to allow for salary increases in the sixteen months since mid 2004.

Thanks Zorn. Do you think they give a true reflection?

pah !

Calm down.

Just because people work in London, they don't live in London.

Just because a sandwich is eaten in London, it doesn't mean that it's made in London.

Just because a train is travelling in London, it doesn't mean that it's refuelled in London.

You received all those emails providing the same information because that is all the information there is.

Those that cannot afford to buy in London rent shared accommodation, live with parents or commute from somewhere like Luton (like my father did for 17 years) where house prices are less than they are in the north, even. That's why the M25 gets busy and why we have a rush hour.

The facts are the facts... and you have been provided with both the median and the mean, which I think was most helpful of the guys on the forum.