House Price Crash Forum
homeless

If The New World Let Us All In Again

sitting in the house today while the van is in for the MOT got me looking around here and the topics have got me thinking.

What would we all do if australia and canada once again opened there borders freely to the british.I think we are actually the only generation this was not a right for.Perhaps this could even be one of the major problems in our society.

For the last 200 years there has been mainly a open immigration policy for uk citizens to these two countries.Alas now a uk citizen is pretty much treated like any citizen that cares to move there.

Thes countries are vast wildernesses, you could fit the uk into canada and it would get lost its huge, im just wondering what the impact of an open door policy for the british would create here.

Personaly i think there would be an exodus on a scale of the irish famine, where many many brits would leave to make a new life.

come on canada and aussie open the gates for your brothers and let us all in.

sitting in the house today while the van is in for the MOT got me looking around here and the topics have got me thinking.

What would we all do if australia and canada once again opened there borders freely to the british.I think we are actually the only generation this was not a right for.Perhaps this could even be one of the major problems in our society.

For the last 200 years there has been mainly a open immigration policy for uk citizens to these two countries.Alas now a uk citizen is pretty much treated like any citizen that cares to move there.

Thes countries are vast wildernesses, you could fit the uk into canada and it would get lost its huge, im just wondering what the impact of an open door policy for the british would create here.

Personaly i think there would be an exodus on a scale of the irish famine, where many many brits would leave to make a new life.

Canada and australia are both on a recruitment drive for skilled workers at the moment. I would go myself if I could

Edited by 2005

Don't they have scary spiders in those foreign places?

Oz has more natural things that can kill you than anywhere else in the world.

Mind your step.... :P

There's a reason why Canada is empty. Most of the population is crammed into a fifty-mile-wide strip along the US border, trying to stay as warm as possible. Australia is mostly desert, and again most of the population lives in the relatively small fertile areas. There is more room in Canada and Australia than in the UK, but not as much as you might think from looking at a map.

There's a reason why Canada is empty. Most of the population is crammed into a fifty-mile-wide strip along the US border, trying to stay as warm as possible. Australia is mostly desert, and again most of the population lives in the relatively small fertile areas. There is more room in Canada and Australia than in the UK, but not as much as you might think from looking at a map.

canada total: 9,984,670 sq km

pop 32,805,041 (July 2005 est.)

uk total: 244,820 sq km

pop 60,441,457 (July 2005 est.)

working withese figures

canada has 40 times the area of the uk with around half the population

so each person has 80 times more room than in the uk

so working on that canada probably has 1 city the size of manchester for each area twice the size of the uk

Edited by homeless

Most of the population is crammed into a fifty-mile-wide strip along the US border, trying to stay as warm as possible.

Only because the biggest cities are close to the US border. Given how cold the southern parts of Canada are in the winter I can't see that there's any great difference in survivability until you go well to the north into the arctic or near-arctic areas...

The real question is whether there's enough affordable power in the future to sustain a much larger population through the winters (though my girlfriend's grandparents managed to live their lives on a farm way north of the US border long before gas and electricity made heating easy: a farm with its own woods for fuel may well be more survivable than a Toronto apartment in a few decades).

Don't they have scary spiders in those foreign places?

Yes and one type, the white tailed spider, has moved to NZ.

One bit me the last time I was there, not nice but luckily I didn't get blood poisoning as some do which can lead to loss of limbs!

About the only problem thing, apart from sandflies, though.

Doesn't stop our plans to go there either.

As I've mentioned before we have a head start fortunately, as Mrs. Mushroom was born there.