House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Profits Fall For First Time In 18 Years

We stopped shopping at Tescos.

When they had their first profit wobble last year, they blatantly went on a massive cost cutting exercise, and the quality of their food got noticeably worse.

It was one shop that did it for us:

1. The Bananas were just a really weird texture. Can't even imagine how they managed that one

2. The Long Grain rice was clearly coming from a worse source. We'd always bought this rice, and it suddenly got super starchy and needed washing before going in the rice cooker, and needed longer to cook.

3. We picked up what we thought was a pack of red pepper humus. Except it wasn't. It was in amongst the humus, it was in the same packaging as humus, and it was labelled "Roasted Red Pepper". What was it? Well, printed on the back above the ingredients was something like "Red Pepper flavoured mayonnaise".

So we don't go there any more.

We now split between Asda and Sainsbury's.

You failed to realise the main reason not to shop at Tesco: the fact that they are one of the most expensive supermarkets (that's why Waitrose price match them), but unlike the really posh ones they are chock full of chavs. Especially the Chesterfield branch. ASDA are cheaper, but still chavvy, as are Sainsbury's, though they think they are not. You are better off in Lidl or Aldi, no pretentions in there, fewer chavs also, though you have to time the checkout carefully. Or just go the whole hog and go shop at Marks and Spenser - it's more pricey, but the total lack of unwashed people pays off in dividends for your mental wellbeing. If you already spend over what is necessary by shopping at Tesco, why not go full-on posh?

Tesco is our closest but since we have noticed 1) the quality of the food going from mediocre to disgusting (fish that is very off despite being labelled several days before sell-by, increasingly fatty / gristly "finest" meatballs, burgers etc, borderline-rotten veg and avocadoes that go lumpy instead of ripening on the window sill.) 2) increasing use of deceptive tactics - the shrinking sizes, price labelling etc) and 3) items we like to buy no longer stocked, we have switched to mostly shopping at Lidl, Waitrose and ASDA.

Despite what seems to be the experience of many here, our nearest ASDA is definitely LESS chavvy/poor than Tesco and the quality is better.

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

Yep. Talking about dips. We stopped buying there when we noticed their humous started to get watery. Obviously ingredient rationing and replacing with water.

Giving Waitrose a try this weekend to see if its all its cracked up to be.

It's seriously easy to make your own hummus.

Clothilde Dusoulier LINK

Felicity Cloake; Grauniad LINK

Just use decent tinned chickpeas (reserving the liquid) and add any extras you want.

It's seriously easy to make your own hummus.

Clothilde Dusoulier LINK

Felicity Cloake; Grauniad LINK

Just use decent tinned chickpeas (reserving the liquid) and add any extras you want.

Confirmed. We never buy ready made hummus because they tend to use low-quality oil and something that gives it a nasty artificial tang.

Using tinned is fine, as long as you can find ones that are soft and not crunchy. I don't know whether it is the variety that makes some harder than others or the fact they haven't been cooked for a sufficient period of time. Nepolina work very well.

Rinse the chickpeas and put them in a suitably sized bowel with plenty of cold water. Rub the chickpeas together and you'll find the skin comes off and begins to float on the surface. Scoop away the skins and you have a perfectly smooth chickpea. You can now mash them with salt, good quality olive oil, lemon juice, raw mashed garlic and tahini. The exact proportions of each ingredient are to taste and you'll find that you can guess where in the world someone lives by the flavouring they use!

overpriced, really crap quality products (the finest smoked bacon lardons, full of water and not a patch on Lidl's which are cheaper) have put me off completely. They seem to think you are dense, that you aren't aware of the rip off. And that lack of respect is the clincher.

This sums up my feelings entirely, and explains why I choose to shop at LIDL.

Rinse the chickpeas and put them in a suitably sized bowel with plenty of cold water. Rub the chickpeas together and you'll find the skin comes off and begins to float on the surface.

Not in my bowels you don't - especially not if "the skin comes off and begins to float on the surface".

I'll lend you a bowl.....

2. The Long Grain rice was clearly coming from a worse source. We'd always bought this rice, and it suddenly got super starchy and needed washing before going in the rice

I thought everybody washed rice before cooking to wash the starch off. The only rice I think (because I never buy it for it's so awful) which doesn't seem to have the starch is that Uncle Ben's crap.

They should try selling fruit and vegetables that actually taste like fruit and vegetables.

I would hazard a guess that much supermarket fruit and veg varieties are picked for their yield, shelf life and looks rather than their taste. ;)

Edited by winkie

I would hazard a guess that much supermarket fruit and veg varieties are picked for their yield, shelf life and looks rather than their taste. ;)

Yes. I understand there are swathes of land used in Spain to grow perfect looking fruit and veg especially for the UK market where housewives across the land require perfect looking tomatoes and carrots. Apparently this land quickly becomes infertile unusable and infertile. This may or not be true, a taxi driver told me.

On a differentish note, there was a guy near Sidmouth, Devon who used to make a good living selling boxes of organic vegetables (well, until he died) It turned out that he was simply buying supermarket stuff and rubbing dirt on it and selling it on. :D

Yes. I understand there are swathes of land used in Spain to grow perfect looking fruit and veg especially for the UK market where housewives across the land require perfect looking tomatoes and carrots. Apparently this land quickly becomes infertile unusable and infertile. This may or not be true, a taxi driver told me.

On a differentish note, there was a guy near Sidmouth, Devon who used to make a good living selling boxes of organic vegetables (well, until he died) It turned out that he was simply buying supermarket stuff and rubbing dirt on it and selling it on. :D

Best to get to know your customers and suppliers....anyone can do or say anything, sometimes ignorance is bliss. ;)

They should try selling fruit and vegetables that actually taste like fruit and vegetables.

I tend to find the supermarket fruit and veg better than that available at the markets. After all the latter is usually the dross rejected by the supermarkets.

I have no complaint about the crispness and freshness. As for taste, well we probably have to blame our chavy palettes. I try and stay clear of water bags like French Golden delicious, but they probably go down well with some families with kids who wouldn't appreciate a full flavour and eat fruit and veg under sufferance.

Edited by crashmonitor

Before we knock Tesco too much we all have a vested interest in Tesco, even if not invested in it by default in a pension because it is a large taxpayer. Or we can just be Lorded over by Walmart and send the profits abroad.

That's a very 'political' argumeent, and not one I'd have any truck with whatsoever. I try to tell the truth.

This was exactly the same argument the politicos, hedge funds and banks were using pre crash.

• 1 month later...

I do buy some things in Tesco, mainly cupboard staples and household stuff that are more expensive in the Co-op and that Iceland don't stock. I wait until they give me a £5 off when you spend £40 coupon, mind, and spend no more than £40 plus some pence.

Fruit and veg are cheaper and better from greengrocers, or the indoor market if I can be arsed to go into town. Fish from huge market stall is brilliant though not cheap, for frozen fish Iceland are alright. Meat - we've still got plenty of proper butchers round our way.

Aldi and Lidl are difficult / impossible to get to from house/office by public transport and I don't have a car. Might drag Mr Snuggles there once a year to pick up Christmas treats - he hardly moans at all if I promise him German beer.

We're lucky to have aldi, tesco, morrisons, lidl, sainsbury and asda all in quite close proximity.

Tesco was the shop of choice five or six years ago, we stopped going simply because it went from being best value for money to worst by our reckoning.

We currently favour sainsbury and aldi. It used to be sainsburys and lidl because lidl was closer but now we go out of our way to get to aldi because the quality seems slightly better.