House Price Crash Forum

Radical New Proposal

OK, I may have had too much wine this evening, but it seems to me that nobody in the housing market benefits from kite-flyers who won't budge on price. They aren't real sellers.

New rules:

If you do not get a binding offer within 2 months of publicly listing your property for sale, you are prohibited from marketing it again for 12 months. It is not for sale.

Will this focus the minds? Help price discovery? Increase transaction volumes?

What say you?

OK, I may have had too much wine this evening, but it seems to me that nobody in the housing market benefits from kite-flyers who won't budge on price. They aren't real sellers.

New rules:

If you do not get a binding offer within 2 months of publicly listing your property for sale, you are prohibited from marketing it again for 12 months. It is not for sale.

What say you?

it was 2:51pm when you posted, not evening, so you've had quite a liqud lunch.

and how are you going to police it?

New rules:

What say you?

This is exactly what we need, lots of new bureaucrats to draft, monitor and enforce a whole new suite of well thought out, highly practical regulations.

New rules:

What say you?

Debt.

When people are forced to pay with money they actually have rather than money the eventually hope to have there will be no need for your proposal.

Don't go native. The prices are a function of the provision of credit. Enslaving idiots with debt is the problem. Silly prices are an artefact of the underlying problem.

Taken literally, it is a barmy idea. Conversely, if there were a central registry of marketed properties for sale, then it would be easy for a web-site to present lists of only those which it deemed 'potentially motivated sellers'... the rule could be 'on the market for under 2 months, or at least 5% cheaper than previous asking price.'

Buyers, then, could chose only to make offers on places that were competitively priced, and make their search easier by discounting properties not on the list. Before long, sellers would recognise that they had to price competitively.

The crux of any such effort would be in accurately and uniquely identifying all marketed properties... perhaps by postal address. In principle, the better the tools for buyers, the better their advantage in the market place.

New rules:

What say you?

The real answer is very simple, and has been the true method of divineing anythings value for hundreds, nay thousands of years AUCTION subject to survey.

A lender gives a mortgage based on the purchasers means and the ability to pay on the day on any property