House Price Crash Forum

How To Control An Internet Forum

okaycuckoo

Does that include denials?

That would depend on the quality of original claim/ accusation. If the original claim is inherently unfalsifiable any attempt to deny it could very well sound pretty lame.

Which may be why Donald Rumsfeld spends 15 minutes in this clip repeatedly refusing to answer the question 'are you a flesh eating pan-dimensional reptilian humanoid?'

It's that or he really is one and they're not allowed to lie about it.

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

• 3 weeks later...

'Divide and conquer' is definitely troll technique no. 1. (Sometimes they even supply both sides of the argument using sock puppets when they can't get anyone to join in!)

One could always rebrand trolling as 'cognitive infiltration', in which case it becomes a very wholesome and highbrow activity indeed, allegedly...

Salon: Cass Sunstein wants the government to "cognitively infiltrate" anti-government groups

I don't know if posters notice this but there is a concerted effort to keep HPC off it's goal of promoting a House price crash.

Personally I think it's a mistake to have "house prices" and "the economy" linked into one forum.

I can see the subjects are related but the problem is that "the economy" is such a wide area that it's easy to drown the house prices threads in a sea of marginally (at best) relevant threads. On average maybe 1/10 threads are directly HPC relevant.

I think it would be better to have a top "house prices only" forum with a small number of directly related economic threads permitted.

Directly below could be the "economics, politics and current affairs" forum for everything else of that nature that seems to clog up the main forum.

Just my 2p worth.

• 4 weeks later...

Other things -

1) Set the forum up in the first place.

2) Reset your arguments on each new thread. i.e. after finally agreeing that humans won't be all be replaced by robots, wait 24 hours and then start a brand new thread about how robots will replace humans.

3) Catchy emoticons on every post. (NLP anchoring.) ;):blink::unsure:

4) Take an extreme position opposite to the one you really hold in order to rubbish the view you oppose.

5) Link ad revenue to extreme topics

6) Legal action in the background

7) Estimate some posters location and be vaguely threatening.

and so on............

4) Take an extreme position opposite to the one you really hold in order to rubbish the view you oppose.

Perfidious harm, one of my favourites...

The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments

• 3 months later...

At this point other avenues must be considered such as initiating a false legal precedent to simply have the forum shut down and taken offline.

Oddly enough, this has just happened to that well-known hotbed of revolutionary fervour, Sagazone.

I was looking for info on page magnifiers - eyesight fine for most reading, but when travel companies etc use blue 6pt font on a grey background..... & discovered it had been abruptly closed - not even accessible cached as far as I can see- because of racist / antiSemitic comments which Saga felt affected their brand image. (Wonder if someone just dared to question Israeli politics?!)

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting read:

http://consciouslifenews.com/paid-internet-shill-shadowy-groups-manipulate-internet-opinion-debate/1147073/

The funny thing was, although I started the job with no strong opinions or political views, after a few weeks of this I became very emotionally wedded to the pro-Israel ideas I was pushing. There must be some psychological factor at work…a good salesman learns to honestly love the products he’s selling, I guess. It wasn’t long before my responses became fiery and passionate, and I began to learn more about the topic on my own. “This is a good sign,” my trainer told me. “It means you are ready for the next step: complex debate.”

The “complex debate” part of the job involved a fair amount of additional training, including memorizing more specific information about the specific posters (friendly and hostile) I’d be sparring with. Here, too, there were scripts and suggested lines of argument, but we were given more freedom. There were a lot of details to this more advanced stage of the job – everything from how to select the right avatar to how to use “demotivationals” (humorous images with black borders that one finds floating around the web). Even the proper use of images of cats was discussed. Sometimes we used faked or photo-shopped images or doctored news reports (something else that bothered me).

I was also given the job of tying to find new recruits, people “like me” who had the personality type, ability to keep a secret, basic writing/thinking skills, and desperation necessary to sign on a shill. I was less successful at this part of the job, though, and I couldn’t find another in the time I was there.

After a while of doing this, I started to feel bad. Not because of the views I was pushing (as I said, I was first apolitical, then pro-Israel), but because of the dishonesty involved. If my arguments were so correct, I wondered, why did we have to do this in the first place? Shouldn’t truth propagate itself naturally, rather than through, well…propaganda? And who was behind this whole operation, anyway? Who was signing my paychecks? The stress of lying to my parents and friends about being a “consultant” was also getting to me. Finally, I said enough was enough. I quit in September 2011. Since then I’ve been working a series of unglamorous temp office jobs for lower pay. But at least I’m not making my living lying and heckling people who come online to express their views and exercise freedom of speech.

We had that pro-Iran nut on here last year, he was the closest I've seen to a single topic shill.

• 6 months later...

Sounds like UKIPS manifesto.

I have suspected for some time now that UKIP was created by the Liblaabcons to show how utterly rubbbish any vote for not the mainstream would be.

Not going to stop me from voting for them though

• 4 months later...