House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aclwalker

Should Firework Sales Be Better Controlled Or Even Banned?

Huge explosions have started to go off in the street outside in the annual run-up to the 5th of November. Is it time to rethink the whole issue of the availability of fireworks?

Any anecdotes or personal accounts to illustrate why they should or should not be more tightly controlled?

I don't particularly like restrictions, but sometimes carrots (education) doesn't work and so a stick (restrictions) are required.

In the absence of responsible use I would like to see restrictions to curb the following:

-Prolonged exposure of explosions to animals/pets.

-Prolonged exposure of explosions to older people or those of a nervous disposition.

-Fireworks being set off at extremely inconsiderate times ie 3-4am when most working people are in bed.

-Injuries caused by irresponsible sales of fireworks to drunk/incapacitated people or minors.

Having said all this, restrictions on the period of sale of fireworks was introduced in Scotland in the last few years. I think things have improved, but there is still alot of room for improvement.

I can't understand how anyone can afford to literally burn their money. Maybe they have MEWed to buy fireworks! :blink:

NDL

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I can't understand how anyone can afford to literally burn their money. Maybe they have MEWed to buy fireworks! :blink:

NDL

We had to put up with it night after night from late September to late November for many years.

But Hey just the occassional bang now just one week from the 5th.

You could be right they have no money to spend. :blink:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Stop being a nation of old farts and be thankful its not gun shots. :P

You have just been crossed off my Dog`s Xmas card list.

He wants to know if you taste like best steak. :D

You still have annual fireworks sales to the public?

It was banned in my part of Oz in 1989 (?) and some parts before that. Shame.

You still have annual fireworks sales to the public?

It was banned in my part of Oz in 1989 (?) and some parts before that. Shame.

A few years ago certain fireworks known as "squibs" or "bangers" were banned from sale. These were almost exclusively bought by teenagers to light and throw at one another.

The annual damage to the nation's youth's eyesight led to this move.

Having said all this, some of the sizes of rockets that can be bought are scary. Some of them costing £50 or more. I reckon the Chinese are even now still perfecting these things 'cause they seem to get more powerful every year.

Retailers have often been caught selling fireworks that are too powerful.

NDL