House Price Crash Forum

Mccarthy & Stone Retirement Homes. Peverill Companies.

Misleading titled Undercover Retirement Home, this C4 Dispatches edition was not about abuse of residents or anything similar.

It is about property deals and property management and is a 'must watch' for older people dealing with the companies named below.

The programme investigated the 'deals' being offered to older people part-exchanging houses for McCarthy and Stone Retirement Homes. It also looked at the conduct of Peverel Retirement and Peverel Management Services.

Not on IPlayer yet, but keep checking, but it is repeated 8pm tonight on 4Seven channel.

Edited by juvenal

I wouldn't bother, it was crap TV. Only two main points:

Part exchange pays less than market value.

Leasehold landlords are crap.

Tell us something we don;'t know.

on the contrary. watched it myself and found it very interesting for one reason. this show was about UK property - and the default discussion for any of the property was regarding prices having already fallen , or may do. this is your average UK programme with a link to property and the sentiment of the masses is completely opposite to 3-4 years ago. all this stuff has creeped up on us over such a long period many have not even noticed :)

on the contrary. watched it myself and found it very interesting for one reason. this show was about UK property - and the default discussion for any of the property was regarding prices having already fallen , or may do. this is your average UK programme with a link to property and the sentiment of the masses is completely opposite to 3-4 years ago. all this stuff has creeped up on us over such a long period many have not even noticed :)

Did the prog. mention anything about how hard these properties can be to sell on when you finally need to, for probate or care home fees?

I've read a couple of articles on that theme lately. Initial overpricing + horrendous service/maintenance charges blamed for most of it.

Though have to say I took my mother to look at a couple of McC & Stones, probably mid 1990s. She found them very poky and was most put out that there was no dishwasher and no space for one. And seriously offended with the patronising salesperson who told her they hadn't imagined old people would want them. .

Though have to say I took my mother to look at a couple of McC & Stones, probably mid 1990s. She found them very poky and was most put out that there was no dishwasher and no space for one. And seriously offended with the patronising salesperson who told her they hadn't imagined old people would want them. .

No offence, not that I have ever wanted or used a dishwasher...but how did old people cope years ago before they were invented....it must take them all week to fill one, which means they must also then need extra cupboards for the extra crockery required to use one or waste hot water, electricity and the very expensive cleaning soap if using on a daily basis. ;)

No offence, not that I have ever wanted or used a dishwasher...but how did old people cope years ago before they were invented....it must take them all week to fill one, which means they must also then need extra cupboards for the extra crockery required to use one or waste hot water, electricity and the very expensive cleaning soap if using on a daily basis. ;)

Dishwashers are a real pain, you put all the dirty stuff in and once its washed you have to take all the clean stuff out and put it away. We've got two dishwashers now, when one is full we put it on and then take the stuff out as we need it and fill the other one up. Then repeat. Much easier now.

Did the prog. mention anything about how hard these properties can be to sell on when you finally need to, for probate or care home fees?

I've read a couple of articles on that theme lately. Initial overpricing + horrendous service/maintenance charges blamed for most of it.

i can't remember if it mentioned that - rings a bell though.

My mother had a slimline dishwasher and they don't take a week to fill, not even for one person who actually cooks rather than heating ready meals. Her attitude was that with 4 kids she'd done more than enough washing up over the years, thanks. Her slimline probably did a wash every couple of days. As for crockery, like a lot of old people she still had the large collection used for years of family meals. No new buys or extra cupboards needed.

It also takes an age for an old person to do the washing up, and they do it 3 times a day, it uses up a sizeable chunk of the day. For some in their vintage years this may be a good thing - nice warm water, and something to fill the day with, for others, who maybe want to do the gardening, or go and help serve the elderly at the local luncheon club, then a dishwasher is a great time saver.

Dishwashers are a real pain, you put all the dirty stuff in and once its washed you have to take all the clean stuff out and put it away. We've got two dishwashers now, when one is full we put it on and then take the stuff out as we need it and fill the other one up. Then repeat. Much easier now.

:lol: