House Price Crash Forum

Receiving Anonymous Letters From A Neighbour

the_duke_of_hazzard

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The letter-writer has crossed a line and now the police are involved.

I got back from a business trip just now and my wife told me that our neighbours (who wrote a letter asking for the writer to come forward using the phrase: "we don't bite!") have received a hand-written postcard. On the postcard it says "we all want to bite you".

Proper mental. The police are coming round tomorrow night.

Shame it came to this.. but given it's obviously causing you a lot of stress / concern / fear you probably feel you have no choice.. I guess it will put the issue to bed once and for all which will be a load off your mind. I just hope everyone will be able to be friends again afterwards.

Good luck :)

I got back from a business trip just now and my wife told me that our neighbours (who wrote a letter asking for the writer to come forward using the phrase: "we don't bite!") have received a hand-written postcard. On the postcard it says "we all want to bite you".

My wife won't look up this person on the mental health database as it's unethical. In her words: "where would you stop?".

Is it from the same person or someone taking the pee?

Unethical? :blink:

All she would be doing is arming herself with information which may give her an insight in to someone's possible issues and as such this would help her understand what she might be dealing with and in turn help her keep her family safe.

Ethics don't come in to it as far as I'm concerned, she keeps the information safe as a clinician is expected to do and doesn't share it with anyone else.

Good luck Dukey.

Yep, looking up medical records for personal reasons gets you in hot water rather rapidly if you get caught.

http://localuknews.co.uk/article/dundee-nurse-struck-off-for-inappropriate-use-of-medical-records

Unethical? :blink:

All she would be doing is arming herself with information which may give her an insight in to someone's possible issues and as such this would help her understand what she might be dealing with and in turn help her keep her family safe.

Ethics don't come in to it as far as I'm concerned, she keeps the information safe as a clinician is expected to do and doesn't share it with anyone else.

Good luck Dukey.

Duke's wife has no clinical connection to the woman. Medical records are private information. Just because you have access to it doesn't make it ethical to do so for personal reasons.

Can your postman steam open your mail?

How about your doctors cleaner rifling through the cabinets?

Someone at google browsing their ex girlfirends g-mail?

None of these are any different than a medical professorial browsing the medical records of an aquaintence for non clinical reasons. These systems generally log whenever a record is accessed...

PS This isn't a dig at Duke's wife, or Duke. Most people would consider breaking certain rules when it came to their personal safety... But it's a matter best left to the police.

As I've said before, it's considered plainly unethical to mix your personal and professional life in that way.

She's been given access to this information on the trust that she won't abuse that trust.

On top of that, it's a sackable offense. So it will not happen, possible though it is.

Also, the proportion of people who have had mental health "episodes" is way higher than most people think, so what relevance any information would be likely to have is debatable. And if our suspicions are wrong, then it's grossly unfair on the person involved.

The mother of one of my friends held a very senior position at HMRC and had access to all of our tax affairs/details. She held the job for over 30 years and not a blemish on her record.

She was an avid follower of a Premier league Football club and one day quite a few years ago she caught a snippet of a radio show where she was convinced she heard the host mention that the then club manager lived in the very small village that she lived in as a kid.

Innocently she thought she would take a peak.

Within a week she was standing in front of a disciplinary meeting and was suspended. She was eventually sacked and lost her pension....but after two years managed to win at a tribunal and was re-instated and paid compensation based on a technicality in the sacking process. She retired but it ruined her life.

The mother of one of my friends held a very senior position at HMRC and had access to all of our tax affairs/details. She held the job for over 30 years and not a blemish on her record.

She was an avid follower of a Premier league Football club and one day quite a few years ago she caught a snippet of a radio show where she was convinced she heard the host mention that the then club manager lived in the very small village that she lived in as a kid.

Within a week she was standing in front of a disciplinary meeting and was suspended. She was eventually sacked and lost her pension....but after two years managed to win at a tribunal and was re-instated and paid compensation based on a technicality in the sacking process. She retired but it ruined her life.

These days you can get a far more intimate picture of someone's life without any scrutiny if you have access to the Tesco Clubcard database.

These days you can get a far more intimate picture of someone's life without any scrutiny if you have access to the Tesco Clubcard database.

To be fair, when I worked for Tesco.com the Clubcard database was managed by a third party company 'across the road' in Shire Park and the Tesco developers (e.g. me) did not have any access to it at all.

For testing, we could request a block of valid card numbers but not any actual customer data.

Quite how the data was protected within that third party company was/is something else.

Not if he/she shops at Waitrose/Sainsbury/Asda! :P

Also older people tend not to have loyalty cards.

Anyway I think this thread is symptomatic of a society where every abnormality is immediately labelled as "mental health issue" to be treated with psycho drugs (which often have very severe long term side effects). Most people with so called "mental health issues" simply lack love and affection in their lives.

While often the more serious cases are nothing but chronic poising of lead, mercury, aluminium or some other environmental poison.

It would be far more useful to test patients with serious "mental health issues" for the various common poisons that can cause mental health issues and then put them on the appropriate clinical detox program (DMPS, DMSA or whatever else is appropriate).

---

My wife won't look up this person on the mental health database as it's unethical. In her words: "where would you stop?".

Its not just unethical.She would lose her Job and be struck off from practicing again, so it's good she's not!

To be fair, when I worked for Tesco.com the Clubcard database was managed by a third party company 'across the road' in Shire Park and the Tesco developers (e.g. me) did not have any access to it at all.

For testing, we could request a block of valid card numbers but not any actual customer data.

Quite how the data was protected within that third party company was/is something else.

Dunhumby are an entirely different company and have no trading links to Tesco at all these days. Getting data for free off them about customers is as easy as getting free data from Nielsen/IRI etc. (slim)

There we go, I knew she'd be allowed access if she wants it and from what you say she's appears to have discussed it with her supervisors / management.

If your suspicions are wrong, no harm is done, as the saying goes, forearmed is forewarned.

Not sure the Duke was saying his wife has permission in this case. I think he was saying she has trust and access to the system as part of her job.

There we go, I knew she'd be allowed access if she wants it and from what you say she's appears to have discussed it with her supervisors / management.

If your suspicions are wrong, no harm is done, as the saying goes, forearmed is forewarned.

I think you are misreading the highlighted sentence. "this information" surely is generic, not info about the specific neighbour.

No, I was referring to the whole database when I said 'this information'.

[/

This

seen it happen before also

Police came round. Had no ideas, said we should come up with an idea and they'd do the paperwork. They've taken copies of the letters.

We're going to send another letter to try and flush them out. Then the police will warn them followed by an arrest if there's another one.

To be fair, though, all they've actually done is presented themselves a little foolishly, come across as unhinged, and been nasty to you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying anything or saying you're wrong to be concerned, these things are horrible to deal with. And you don't want something horrible to happen just so that they can be seen to have "committed an offence" for which they can then be prosecuted because they have then succeeded in crossing a technical "line".

Seriously, though, does nobody know who it is? In our village, there's a sub-network of what you might call "gossip". There are only 240 houses and while not everyone is "known", anyone who sticks their head "above the parapet" can build a reputation. I know where the village tosser lives, and also the flasher (I was suprised as well - by the news, not the activity, I should say). And so do many others. Makes me wonder what they say about us ;)

Seriously, though, does nobody know who it is? In our village, there's a sub-network of what you might call "gossip". There are only 240 houses and while not everyone is "known", anyone who sticks their head "above the parapet" can build a reputation. I know where the village tosser lives, and also the flasher (I was suprised as well - by the news, not the activity, I should say). And so do many others. Makes me wonder what they say about us ;)

This street is probably more intense on gossip than any others. Most of it is harmless but there's a lovely couple who can shitstir for Britain. It's like they've honed the skill of lighting other people's fuses and stepping well back.

There's also the family at war. Now that's been interesting over the last couple of years.

To be fair, though, all they've actually done is presented themselves a little foolishly, come across as unhinged, and been nasty to you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying anything or saying you're wrong to be concerned, these things are horrible to deal with. And you don't want something horrible to happen just so that they can be seen to have "committed an offence" for which they can then be prosecuted because they have then succeeded in crossing a technical "line".

We have our suspicions. Triangulating on the homes involved, we think it's one of two women who live a few doors from each other.

This is one of the horrible aspects of this: you end up suspecting all sorts of people who are totally innocent. Maybe it's someone entirely different, or even one of the neighbours who claim to have received one? Stranger things have happened.

We just want them to quit it, and possibly get medical help, or take their concerns direct to the authorities concerned.

Archived