House Price Crash Forum

Receiving Anonymous Letters From A Neighbour

the_duke_of_hazzard

HOLA441

I take it that with this astonishing talent he was a nursery school teacher?

Or was he implicitly using the threat of physical force?

Yes that's right :rolleyes:

Obviously I have to explain, try to keep up, it meant 'Pack the unnecessary noise in, play quietly, or you're not going to be playing for much longer'.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'd suggest you pm TMT about soundproofing your dungeon.

Egg boxes. Thousands upon thousands of egg boxes.

I used to work in a place that had an anechoic room. Getting locked in there is not an experience I would like to, er, experience.

HOLA449

I used to work in a place that had an anechoic room. Getting locked in there is not an experience I would like to, er, experience.

Apparently that is seriously disorientating - I'd love to experience it. Becoming aware of your breathing, then your heart beat and then hearing the blood rushing through your veins... like posting on HPC, but with more feedback.

HOLA4410

its very very weird, worked for a company that worked with a company that had a anechoic room. Everyone should experience the weirdness of zero reflected sound.

BUT I wouldn't want to spend more than 60 seconds experiencing it, it becomes had to breath after a while your body is so used to normalness. Egg boxes wouldnt do it, you need lots of pointy foam but you could do it yourself. Honestly I dont know how anyone would last 45 mins (see below)

http://www.dailymail...boratories.html

HOLA4411

Duke any chance of an update please?

Personally I'd have done the Police thing and then gone from there, secondly noise throughout the day is permitted so any annoying neighbours just have to suck it up although if you are dealing with someone on the edge so to speak and they have mental issues, perhaps it might actually be better to move (in the long run).

Right, so here's the latest:

- The neighbours wanted to send a letter round the street in both our names. I was against, as I didn't see why innocent neighbours should be dragged into this.

- They sent round the letter in their names, leaving ours off.

- They've had people approach them - one regarding a letter about chopping down a tree in their garden (which I'd heard rumour of before and mentioned on here), and one complaining about a dog barking (we weren't aware there was a dog on, or near, our road).

- Also, a 13-year old cousin of our other neighbour was playing with that neighbour's 7-year old child on the street one afternoon a couple of weeks ago, and an older woman came out and screamed at her to be quiet. The woman lives over the road from us.

It may be a coincidence, but this woman seems likely to be the culprit, as her location is in the middle of at least three of the four homes involved.

Her behaviour suggests she's on the edge, so I'm still not sure what to do. My wife's probably going to pop round and ask her if she's received any anonymous letters and gauge her reaction. The missus works in mental health, so she'll probably handle it better than I would.

I don't see a need to get the police involved. Seems like a waste of society's resources to me, as we don't feel threatened, and they didn't seem to have any better ideas than we could come up with.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Her behaviour suggests she's on the edge, so I'm still not sure what to do. My wife's probably going to pop round and ask her if she's received any anonymous letters and gauge her reaction. The missus works in mental health, so she'll probably handle it better than I would.

Is she doing a risk assessment before she goes in?

HOLA4414

Is she doing a risk assessment before she goes in?

I doubt it, after some of the groups of people she's been left in a room alone with.

A group of large and lecherous psychotic men in the intensive care ward springs to mind.

The training consisted of a panic button "Which sometimes doesn't work (laughter), assuming you can get to it in time (laughter)".

A batty old woman won't be much threat compared to that.

HOLA4415

Some kind of OCD person with an irrational sensitivity to noise or something. Probably sits in her rocking chair complaining to the cats that the clocks are ticking too loudly.

- Also, a 13-year old cousin of our other neighbour was playing with that neighbour's 7-year old child on the street one afternoon a couple of weeks ago, and an older woman came out and screamed at her to be quiet. The woman lives over the road from us.

It may be a coincidence, but this woman seems likely to be the culprit, as her location is in the middle of at least three of the four homes involved.

Wasn't far off.. :D

I reckon you're right not to bother the police.. plus you seem to have the support of the rest of the street pretty much on your side.

She's probably lonely.. invite her around for tea ;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Ah, that's interesting.

If your wife works in mental health around in the locale that people suffering such issues go to for treatment, it's possible she might be able to find out from clinicians what the woman is suffering from. I am assuming she's a clinician herself?

If your wife can glean any information about how this woman is viewed you might then have an idea as to the kind of possible issue you are dealing with so to speak.

Of course it's also entirely possible, she might not yet be being treated for anything and as such is an unknown quantity.

Good luck.

Haha, almost sounds like you are suggesting they should get her sectioned...

HOLA4418

Haha, almost sounds like you are suggesting they should get her sectioned...

Not to worry.

Moved out of a house last year, neighbour was a lovely old lady. House was sold and the buyers did a load of work on the house. Whenever my wife or I saw the old lady (still lived locally) she'd tell us about all the noise and stress due to the work next door.

She died 4 months after the house was sold, heart attack.

HOLA4419

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

I phoned the police (101, not 999!) and that was an experience. The woman on the phone was refreshingly blunt and bullish. Advised we don't go round the neighbours at all ("I wouldn't give them the satisfaction!"), and advised us just to "chuck the letters in the bin".

She offered to send round some community support officers, but I said I wasn't sure what that was really necessary. So the official advice is to do nothing, really.

Finally, she said the council deal with noise complaints, so I looked on the net for advice from the council, which led me to this:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/your_family/home_and_neighbourhood_index_ew/problems_where_you_live_index_ew/neighbour_disputes.htm

"Children

Noisy children

Noisy children in themselves are not a ‘nuisance’. If someone is disturbed by a neighbour’s children, for example, a shift worker who wants to sleep during the day, the only real solution is a conciliatory approach to the neighbour."

funny the police reaction to this case compared to the FB 'offensive' one. and yet this incident is with a local person. with a direct communication.

HOLA4420

The letter-writer has crossed a line and now the police are involved.

I got back from a business trip just now and my wife told me that our neighbours (who wrote a letter asking for the writer to come forward using the phrase: "we don't bite!") have received a hand-written postcard. On the postcard it says "we all want to bite you".

Proper mental. The police are coming round tomorrow night.

My wife won't look up this person on the mental health database as it's unethical. In her words: "where would you stop?".

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

All thirteen of us (plus dog and a cat)?

Well IME (helping somebody else in a similar position) they have in the last year begun to take harrassment extremely seriously. Probably because they get absolutely slaughtered if something happens and they haven't done enough.

Phone the police on their 0845 number, tell them you are seriosuly concerned, they will send two officers round within the hour to run a case assessment.

HOLA4425

Well IME (helping somebody else in a similar position) they have in the last year begun to take harrassment extremely seriously. Probably because they get absolutely slaughtered if something happens and they haven't done enough.

Phone the police on their 0845 number, tell them you are seriosuly concerned, they will send two officers round within the hour to run a case assessment.

that's prob what they are supposed to do but didn't happen in my experience.

Archived