House Price Crash Forum

Receiving Anonymous Letters From A Neighbour

the_duke_of_hazzard

Over the last month we have received two anonymous letters complaining about noise from our house.

One set of our neighbours have received one letter identical to our second.

The first letter claimed to be from "the residents of [our] Road and [neighbouring road we back onto (mis-spelt)]". It also claimed to CC our landlord. We chased this up, and the landlord said they hadn't received anything.

The complaint is about our children making noise during the day. We have two children, one is four, and the other is six. We have a garden in which they play (often with the neighbours' children). Naturally, they make noise.

The letters are a little unhinged. The first one talks about the Soham murders, and how people ignored screams while they were murdered. The second talks about a "contractual obligation" to be quiet.

How would you handle this? Our neighbours want to smoke this person out by sending letters around the road, I'm inclined to simply keep them on file and do nothing.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the last month we have received two anonymous letters complaining about noise from our house.

The first letter claimed to be from "the residents of [our] Road and [neighbouring road we back onto (mis-spelt)]". It also claimed to CC our landlord. We chased this up, and the landlord said they hadn't received anything.

The complaint is about our children making noise during the day. We have two children, one is four, and the other is six. We have a garden in which they play (often with the neighbours' children). Naturally, they make noise.

The letters are a little unhinged. The first one talks about the Soham murders, and how people ignored screams while they were murdered. The second talks about a "contractual obligation" to be quiet.

How would you handle this? Our neighbours want to smoke this person out by sending letters around the road, I'm inclined to simply keep them on file and do nothing.

Ask the coppers to look into the harassment and clear threats to your children.

Prepare yourself and rely on yourself. Tool yourself up, Secure the perimeter, remote movement sensor cctv recorded for when your not around. Start working out...

OR probably best to move house otherwise if you smoke them out it will escalate and you will feel like a prisoner in your own rented home. life is too short.

I would keep them on file, documenting dates and keeping a note from the other neighbour who has received one.

Whether you do anything else at this stage is down to how uneasy you feel about this; from the bare facts it doesn't sound like it's at the stage where you would be contacting the police to report harrassment. But if you begin to get worried then you should do.

whats the jist of the letters, are they just some rambling, or are they accusing you of Murdering your's and your neighbours children?

I think it may be innocent (in a slightly unhinged way) as if the OP's children are anything like mine at bathtime it does sound as if they are being murdered, especially when I wash the little one's hair.

Straight to the police, I think. The person who wrote this is not normal.

The mispelling of the neighbouring road might be a deliberate but hamfisted attempt to get you to suppose that the source of the letters does not live on that street, on the assumption that if they did they'd have spelled it correctly in the letter. Obviously you don't know, but best keep an open mind.

If you're inclined to go down the 'smoke 'em out route', perhaps a cheap, small video camera to monitor your front door would be a good idea.

Dust the letters for prints.

Sign up to something like Betterware or Avon. Post the brochures through neighbour doors noting the house number on each then dust them for prints after you collect them.

Don't forget to post one to the neighbour who claims he has got an identical letter - he may have written them both to throw you off his track.

Get the police involved ASAP. This is a threat. Psychos.

If you get another, don't handle it, put it in a plastic bag or A4 sleeve. There are probably prints on it.

It is probably a harmless nutter but alluding to the Soham murders is unacceptable.

Also, contact the police ASAP. They may even know who it might be already.

The street mis-spelling might also be a clue to the identity of the sender.

Straight to the police, I think. The person who wrote this is not normal.

The mispelling of the neighbouring road might be a deliberate but hamfisted attempt to get you to suppose that the source of the letters does not live on that street, on the assumption that if they did they'd have spelled it correctly in the letter. Obviously you don't know, but best keep an open mind.

If you're inclined to go down the 'smoke 'em out route', perhaps a cheap, small video camera to monitor your front door would be a good idea.

I concur. Straight to the Police. Writer sounds unhinged. Don't mess about. Get help and professional advice now.

Dust the letters for prints.

Sign up to something like Betterware or Avon. Post the brochures through neighbour doors noting the house number on each then dust them for prints after you collect them.

Don't forget to post one to the neighbour who claims he has got an identical letter - he may have written them both to throw you off his track.

On a serious note, If you receive any further letters and are inclined to report the matter to the Police put the letters in a clear plastic bag and don't handle it too much.

From previous experience I had an issue with a former friend who was harassing me on a daily basis which got to the stage where my my partner was really scared. We reported the matter to the Police and they were next to useless. Finally it cumulated with him attempting to vandalise my partners vehicle, luckily I heard him and promptly went outside and exercised some physical violence on him (I was at the end of my tether at this point).

Needless to stay I never had a problem after that, although I did have a visit from the Police the next day, when I pointed out to them that I had reported the matter a couple of weeks earlier and they had failed to address my concerns they left advising that I should not take the law into my own hands.

This was around 12 or so years ago, perhaps I would act differently today.

On a serious note, If you receive any further letters and are inclined to report the matter to the Police put the letters in a clear plastic bag and don't handle it too much.

From previous experience I had an issue with a former friend who was harassing me on a daily basis which got to the stage where my my partner was really scared. We reported the matter to the Police and they were next to useless. Finally it cumulated with him attempting to vandalise my partners vehicle, luckily I heard him and promptly went outside and exercised some physical violence on him (I was at the end of my tether at this point).

Needless to stay I never had a problem after that, although I did have a visit from the Police the next day, when I pointed out to them that I had reported the matter a couple of weeks earlier and they had failed to address my concerns they left advising that I should not take the law into my own hands.

This was around 12 or so years ago, perhaps I would act differently today.

Sounds like the plotline from Karate Kid II

Wax on wax off ;)

I took it to mean that people ignored screams because they had grown accustomed to noisy children. It's presumably meant as a bizarre guilt trip.

I agree that the police should be involved though.

I was caught between that meaning or

Calling the police/social services and reporting children screaming and potential abuse taking place by you. An "innocent misunderstanding".

You and anyone else who has received these letters should get together and complain to the Police

That's what I would do anyway

:)

I think it may be innocent (in a slightly unhinged way) as if the OP's children are anything like mine at bathtime it does sound as if they are being murdered, especially when I wash the little one's hair.

:lol::lol::lol: so true. I always imagine a swat team knocking on our door, responding to a call from someone saying a child is being tortured.. when my wife showers our daughter.

Hi Duke, assuming that you live in the same part of London that I do, i would raise it with your Local Councillor (who I know personallly) in a surgery as well as raising it with the police.

Archived