Apple Maps Lampooned All Over The Net

CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA441
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Incidentally, this was actually the first production Android phone, the t-mobile G1(note the keyboard):

33283585-2-440-0.gif

There are still plenty of models with a slide out keyboard available today - they tend to be more popular in the US than the UK though.

Which was already trying to be iPhone-esque. I remember lots of people with them. All they could say was how it was like an IPhone.

HOLA444

Incidentally, this was actually the first production Android phone, the t-mobile G1(note the keyboard):

33283585-2-440-0.gif

There are still plenty of models with a slide out keyboard available today - they tend to be more popular in the US than the UK though.

Ah, how i fondly remember that phone, (made by HTC). i was on Windows mobile 6.1, and just about ot go 6.5, and i remember proclaiming that Googles new mobile OS android, was going to be crap and go no where.

HOLA445

I think it's safe to say the iPhone 4 was "peak Apple".

They've ripped out Google Maps (a key part of the original iPhone and one mentioned in the original keynote by Jobs) for purely political reasons and are now delivering a sub-standard product.

The iPhone 5 has little else in the way of innovation. Competitors devices have been as thin, with bigger screens for 12 months+ and LTE is not functional in the UK yet. Another commentator suggested iOS6 should have been named iOS5.5 due to it's incremental nature and I have to agree.

The marketing schedule and politics have finally eclipsed the product.

I think you are right sir.

The new HTC Windows Phones are going to be for sale for £225.00 unlocked in the UK. Buy one of those and go with giff gaff or pay a fortune for a crApple?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/htc-8s-windows-8-phone-preorder-15th-november-224-98-unlocked-mobiles-com-1316528

HOLA446
HOLA447

Which was already trying to be iPhone-esque. I remember lots of people with them. All they could say was how it was like an IPhone.

Probably because it was their first smartphone. If you'd have been using smartphones for 6 years before the iPhone was released, they would have known different ;)

The entire homescreen / widget concept was very reminiscent of Symbian Series 60 phones. But on Android it worked.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Isn't this just reversion to form?

Good hardware, crap software..

That's a good point. Although their hardware was pretty crap as well for quite a while!

Statue of Liberty missing in action...

It's the iOS6pocalypse!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/20/3363914/wrong-turn-apple-ios-6-maps-phone-5-buggy-complaints

I've heard that the iCloud has been iKaput a few times in the last few weeks as well. You can say what you like about Google, but they know a thing or two about maps and infrastructure.

HOLA4410

Developing a global map system with independent database and photography is not easy.

Making the decision not to launch until it's ready is easy however.

A spectacular hubristic farce timed perfectly to drown out the fanfare of the iPhone5 launch. This will be studied for decades by marketing students, on a par with the Ford Edsel and Coca-Cola's Dasani.

I guess these melted bridges are due to them using the data for river water levels, etc.

Maybe Apple should launch thei own mapping satellites. Or aerial drones.

HOLA4411

They already had the model - WebKit. Apple took KHTML and turned it into a top open source web browser engine. Sure, now Chrome and a hundred other browsers can have the same engine that Apple initially put big moola into but then Apple can benefit from others' innovations too without being beholden to a rival.

http://www.openstreetmap.org dumps all over Apple Maps for accuracy and points of interest. If they'd jumped on this project they could have moved away from Google and got kudos for boosting a good open source effort a la WebKit.

As I said - this isn't bad. It's off-the-charts bad.

+1

Stunned by how bad iO6 maps is. Truly shocking. Goes against the Apple ethos of producing something that works, before anything else.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423