House Price Crash Forum

Pics From Dubai

dryrot

HOLA441

hi

bk from hols in Dubai. We had access to a beach c;ub on the Palm. Work stopped in Dubai two years ago and heaven knows what will happen in 5 more. Dont think you can flip the flats any more. The Palm will be worth watching...

p.s. the main Dubai metro is good, hope they can afford to keep it running: The Palm metro does not connect to the main one BTW

EDIT: pic 1 is Dubai Pearl "development" at entrance to the palm; pic 2 the famous unfinished curved skyscraper; pic 3 oceana beach club (great if you havnt bought there :); pic 4 the palm again; pic 5 the palm, entry to club in pic 3...

t7.jpg

t5.jpg

t4.jpg

t6.jpg

t3.jpg

post-8507-0-13884100-1348037839_thumb.jpg

post-8507-0-66077900-1348037859_thumb.jpg

post-8507-0-07452300-1348037879_thumb.jpg

post-8507-0-29024100-1348037893_thumb.jpg

post-8507-0-73316500-1348037919_thumb.jpg

Edited by dryrot

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Was it busy out there?

Malls seemed busy; plenty of traffic; business still being AFAICS. But its wildly overbuilt. Dubailand is a desert with a golf course and cricket ground in the middle. Just seeing the stagnant cranes in Dubai centre was amazing. They must have just stopped when the money ran out.

Not a bad place for a week's R&R. Get a good AI package as drinks are pricey. It does seem like the epicentre of the oughties property madness tho.

Edited by dryrot

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I think it's a package tour set up by fubra... "HPC schadenfreudilays"

:) £1250 kpp 8night AI with flights at the Ibn Battuta Gate. (Movenpick hotel; 4 excellent restaurants and AI covers all dishes) + use of Oceana beach club AI during the day. Good value I thought; stuff to see and v hot.

(We usually to Barbados but in September - darhling really :) )

HOLA4410

I went out there about 6 years ago and absolutely hated it. Full of short term idiots try to make a fast buck.

Went back again this year and really liked it. The depression has taken it's toll, but I think for the better. Seemed like a place people lived, rather than just used.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

:) £1250 kpp 8night AI with flights at the Ibn Battuta Gate. (Movenpick hotel; 4 excellent restaurants and AI covers all dishes) + use of Oceana beach club AI during the day. Good value I thought; stuff to see and v hot.

Having lived in the Gulf for many years I'd have thought it was still a mite stinking orrible hot in September.

Re developments, I'd love to know what happened to the Armani and Versace residences (available to buy by invitation only) where at one or the other they were actually going to refrigerate the beach, i.e. sort of under-floor cooling, so that their oh so discerning buyers could walk on the sand in summer without burning their feet.

Read about these at height of Dubai-boom. Haven't seen a whisper about them since.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Thanks for the pics.

The pics save me from ever having to, or wanting to, set foot in Dubai.

My sister keeps trying to tell me I should move out there. She's been there for 15 years and can't see how ******ed it is when the wells run dry. I keep telling her not a ice cube in hells chance.

HOLA4416

My sister keeps trying to tell me I should move out there. She's been there for 15 years and can't see how ******ed it is when the wells run dry. I keep telling her not a ice cube in hells chance.

Abu Dhabi, which is by far the richest Emirate, has enough reserves at current production has another 97 years left. Not something I would be overly worried about. Plus if the wells do run dry I cant imagine anywhere will be particularly pleasant to live.

Dubai on the other hand makes most of its money from tourism and financial services, oil revenue only plays a minor part now.

Don't know why people get so defensive and riled up about the place. It is great out here, no taxes, lots to do, year long sunshine and fantastic bars and nightclubs. Cheap petrol (last time I filled the tank it cost AED 70, so about £11), cheap and abundant food and a brand of conservative Islam that has a very much live and let live attitude. And they have the death penalty. Whats not to like?

HOLA4417

Abu Dhabi, which is by far the richest Emirate, has enough reserves at current production has another 97 years left. Not something I would be overly worried about. Plus if the wells do run dry I cant imagine anywhere will be particularly pleasant to live.

Dubai on the other hand makes most of its money from tourism and financial services, oil revenue only plays a minor part now.

Don't know why people get so defensive and riled up about the place. It is great out here, no taxes, lots to do, year long sunshine and fantastic bars and nightclubs. Cheap petrol (last time I filled the tank it cost AED 70, so about £11), cheap and abundant food and a brand of conservative Islam that has a very much live and let live attitude. And they have the death penalty. Whats not to like?

Dubai is extremely dependent on monies the arab nations obtain through selling their oil. A lot of that money ends up being spent in one way or other in dubai. Ergo as the other arabic nations for whom dubai is a playground run out of oil they will cut back on non-essential expenditures first. One of those will be dubai. That means Dubai is going to get wrecked in the ensuing decades. Rather than one of the last to be hit by the middle east running out of oil it will be one of the first. The only hope for its survival is that the arabs can find something else longer term to trade to the west.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Everyone keeps saying that Dubai is fecked when the oil runs out... but what happens to the UK then? :o

Thing is we have a fairly decent climate and *some* natural resources. For example plenty of water, highly productive arable land, and some ores/minerals. If push comes to shove we can do a 'dig for victory'. It would not be pleasant or fun but I think we could manage it.

The UAE has a couple oasis, natural gas, oil, and sand. There's a reason it's population was less than 100K 50 years ago. Without oil/gas with its climate all its people can do is starve.

Edited by alexw

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I am so glad you posted the above as I am going here for a fortnight in less than a month. I was about to cry reading everyone elses comments! Im still on the lookout for a hotel for 6 of the nights... any idea if the grosvenor house is worth the money?

HOLA4422

I am so glad you posted the above as I am going here for a fortnight in less than a month. I was about to cry reading everyone elses comments! Im still on the lookout for a hotel for 6 of the nights... any idea if the grosvenor house is worth the money?

I have not stayed at the Grosvenor house, I did recently stay at the Hilton Jumeriah Residences in August which was fantastic, right on The Walk (a 2km strip of shops, cafes and restaurants) with a private beach and huge rooms. We had a 4 bedroom apartment on the 26th floor there with views across to the Palm. If you are staying on the walk I can recommend a cafe called Burger Fuel, fantastic burgers and great on a Thu/Fri night sitting outside watching the procession of Lambos, Ferraris and Rolls Royces full of locals cruising down the street. Tacky but great fun.

HOLA4423

not stayed at The Grosvenor, have heard its good but it doesn't have direct beach access. The Dar Al Masyaf is one of the best hotels & there is an excellent choice of restaurants, Al Qsar is also good as is the One & Only on the palm although it is a little isolated

T

HOLA4424

I have not stayed at the Grosvenor house, I did recently stay at the Hilton Jumeriah Residences in August which was fantastic, right on The Walk (a 2km strip of shops, cafes and restaurants) with a private beach and huge rooms. We had a 4 bedroom apartment on the 26th floor there with views across to the Palm. If you are staying on the walk I can recommend a cafe called Burger Fuel, fantastic burgers and great on a Thu/Fri night sitting outside watching the procession of Lambos, Ferraris and Rolls Royces full of locals cruising down the street. Tacky but great fun.

not stayed at The Grosvenor, have heard its good but it doesn't have direct beach access. The Dar Al Masyaf is one of the best hotels & there is an excellent choice of restaurants, Al Qsar is also good as is the One & Only on the palm although it is a little isolated

T

Yes have looked at all those hotels as hey all rank quite highly on trip advisor. The Grosvenor is ranked second and is far cheaper than any of the aforementioned. It is our delayed honeymoon so I want some 'luxury' but do not want to eat to much into savings as I aim to buy a house outright before i'm thirty (but maybe forty the way things AREN'T going)!

HOLA4425

I would recommend the Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel (run by Movenpick, on the road to Abu Dhabi but next to the Ib battuta mall and metro) Get the AI package. Tripadvisor #33 of dubai hotels, and its nothing like as expensive as the Burj etc.