House Price Crash Forum

Apple Shares Hit All-Time High

HOLA441
HOLA442

I'm not surprised. 10 years ago it'd be a 'nice surprise' as an Apple user to see someone using an Apple laptop on a train or in a cafe. Now, by this test, it looks like 80% of laptops out there are Apple although that's maybe because they are more portable than many PC models.

One obvious omission in their lineup is Apple TV. It's been a relatively obscure product for them and although runs iOS like the iPad and iPhone has no App Store, presumably because Apple have been trying to thrash out deals with content and TV providers.

Interestingly, the Apple TV 3 is the first iOS product that's proven so far impossible to jailbreak (jailbreak and you can get all the content you want illicitly or legitimately) as if they have to show their platform is secure to potential partners. Still, if those talks break down all Apple need to do is shove an App Store on it and watch some more billions roll in.

The downside for them I see is the weakness of their iCloud offering. It's mostly a consumer gimmick. Most serious Apple users therefore use third party tools like Google Apps to really 'do cloud computing'. Google with Chrome OS and Android can of course work things so these services work better on their platform. Back when Mac OS X was gaining traction there was talk of Apple picking up established UNIX vendors to make their OS a major UNIX player in the enterprise but then of course focused near entirely on consumers. I think if they want to be a post-PC player they need to get back into enterprise market with some hefty acquisitions.

HOLA443
HOLA444

. I think if they want to be a post-PC player they need to get back into enterprise market with some hefty acquisitions.

Apple have been betting on the consumerisation of enterprise IT. The problem with that strategy is then consumer electronics is a very fickle business and they could be in trouble quickly when they go out of fashion.

HOLA445

I'm not surprised. 10 years ago it'd be a 'nice surprise' as an Apple user to see someone using an Apple laptop on a train or in a cafe. Now, by this test, it looks like 80% of laptops out there are Apple although that's maybe because they are more portable than many PC models.

One obvious omission in their lineup is Apple TV. It's been a relatively obscure product for them and although runs iOS like the iPad and iPhone has no App Store, presumably because Apple have been trying to thrash out deals with content and TV providers.

Interestingly, the Apple TV 3 is the first iOS product that's proven so far impossible to jailbreak (jailbreak and you can get all the content you want illicitly or legitimately) as if they have to show their platform is secure to potential partners. Still, if those talks break down all Apple need to do is shove an App Store on it and watch some more billions roll in.

The downside for them I see is the weakness of their iCloud offering. It's mostly a consumer gimmick. Most serious Apple users therefore use third party tools like Google Apps to really 'do cloud computing'. Google with Chrome OS and Android can of course work things so these services work better on their platform. Back when Mac OS X was gaining traction there was talk of Apple picking up established UNIX vendors to make their OS a major UNIX player in the enterprise but then of course focused near entirely on consumers. I think if they want to be a post-PC player they need to get back into enterprise market with some hefty acquisitions.

Really?

HOLA446

Really?

Doubt it...they are very normal to see now but no way 80%.

I hate the fan boys but a lot of Apple stuff is genuinely very good especially iPhone and Mac OS X (amazing cross between easy intuitive GUI and power user Unix stuff).

Edited by cica

HOLA447
HOLA448

Doubt it...they are very normal to see now but no way 80%.

I hate the fan boys but a lot of Apple stuff is genuinely very good especially iPhone and Mac OS X (amazing cross between easy intuitive GUI and power user Unix stuff).

I agree with this. You see a lot more than the 2-3% share of the PC market - perhaps 10%. Some of Apple's stuff is great, some doesn't quite hit the mark.

I reckon the 2011 Macbook Air may be the best computer I've ever had - especially when it has survived a year's worth of travelling and daily usage (when others have failed). It hits the sweet spot on battery life, weight, screen size, ability to run multiple OSs, capability, quality of keyboard and silent operation for me.

I was a fan of the first iPhone but I now think recent ones look expensive compared with some of the £100 Android offerings (and those are what I tend to buy now as they run the same apps I used to have on my iPhone). The latest is still a lovely piece of industrial design though.

iTunes has always been a bit rubbish, particularly on the PC - and I don't see much sign of that changing.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I was a fan of the first iPhone but I now think recent ones look expensive compared with some of the £100 Android offerings (and those are what I tend to buy now as they run the same apps I used to have on my iPhone). The latest is still a lovely piece of industrial design though.

There are certainly some capable Android phones available in the £80-£150 bracket. I'd rather go with one of these and not worry too much about than pay £300+ for a top-of the-range Android phone or one of the iPhone range.

HOLA4411

Can't see the iPhone 5 selling as well as the 4. Seems to have been a bit of a damp squib launch - they are missing the "reality distortion field" that Jobs had, his showmanship and and genuine enthusiasm.

They seem to be playing catchup and need the next big leap forward.

It's not going to come from adding half an inch on the height of the device and selling it on a feature (4G) not yet available in the UK.

Incremental improvement meets tightening belts. How will it end? :unsure:

HOLA4412

Can't see the iPhone 5 selling as well as the 4. Seems to have been a bit of a damp squib launch - they are missing the "reality distortion field" that Jobs had, his showmanship and and genuine enthusiasm.

They seem to be playing catchup and need the next big leap forward.

It's not going to come from adding half an inch on the height of the device and selling it on a feature (4G) not yet available in the UK.

Incremental improvement meets tightening belts. How will it end? :unsure:

By the time 4G is widely available in the UK this latest iphone will have been out a considerable time. In fact, the next iphone but one will most likely already be out.

HOLA4413

Innovation is becoming faster than people are prepared to convert or adapt to it....the sight amendments don't always make it worthwhile or cost effective to change when cost is becoming a greater factor or bearing in that change....especially when they change the connections that forces the issue. ;)

HOLA4414

By the time 4G is widely available in the UK this latest i phone will have been out a considerable time. In fact, the next iphone but one will most likely already be out.

As contracts are typically 24 months they need incorporate as many new hardware features than might come on stream in the next 2 years.

It is all about getting those who bought the iphone4 2 years ago to upgrade. If they hadn't included 4G many would probably hang on for another 6 months (and get an S4 etc) or go for an S3 now.

Samsung (and others) are definitely closing the gap on apple.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

As contracts are typically 24 months they need incorporate as many new hardware features than might come on stream in the next 2 years.

Your forgetting Apple's MO. They never have the latest technology, supposedly because they spend so long getting it "perfect". In reality it's so people will be pushed to paying for an upgrade next year (not in 2 years like the networks want)

Remember the original iphone wasn't 3G, well into the creation of 3G networks. 12 months later they "invent" this amazing new 3g technology.

This time they've left off NFC which the iphone 5S i'm sure will have.

HOLA4417

I'm sure visa mastercard amex etc are glad about that for the time being as I can see apple launching their own payment system when launching nfc and wanting to take cut from every transaction too...

wonder if they have trademarked ipay yet?

HOLA4418

16GB - £529.00

32GB - £599.00

64GB - £699.00

I'm not surprised their shares are hitting new highs!

I'd be scared to use that in the street if I'd paid that much for one.

Those are without contracts. Most high-end phones are in that ballpark without contract.

I think the biggest news isn't that the iPhone 4 is now going to be free on quite lowly contracts. Some of the low-end Android phones are really cheap and nasty. So Apple is no longer a premium-only player.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4419

Those are without contracts. Most high-end phones are in that ballpark without contract.

I think the biggest news isn't that the iPhone 4 is now going to be free on quite lowly contracts. Some of the low-end Android phones are really cheap and nasty. So Apple is no longer a premium-only player.

This will provided the stimulus for the "cheap and nasty" android phones to probably be phased out.

Now Apple has made the move every one else can plan how they respond.

I would expect many of the current lower end to disappear from sale after Christmas.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Your forgetting Apple's MO. They never have the latest technology, supposedly because they spend so long getting it "perfect". In reality it's so people will be pushed to paying for an upgrade next year (not in 2 years like the networks want)

Remember the original iphone wasn't 3G, well into the creation of 3G networks. 12 months later they "invent" this amazing new 3g technology.

Wait - you abbreviated modus operandi to MO?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425