House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yokel

Grand Designs In Roi

Apologies if there is already a thread but the programme last night was almost a parody of itself.

Irish Clown promised 1.2 million Euro by the bank to do up an old folly castle. Unrealistic timescale, no architect, `engineer' being project manager and Irish Clown walking around all the time changing things. No drawings (so how was the loan agreed?) Planning permission ignored. Workers sacked on a whim by Irish Clown and `engineer' also walks in protest. Plans to turn a turret into a jacuzzi. You get the idea.

Part way through - in a completely unrelated universe, the Irish bank crashes and bailouts hit the headlines. The Irish Clown is portrayed as an innocent victim of the crash "The banks won't give me the money they've promised" etc.

Not a mention of how Irish Clown will pay back the loan (or even the interest on the money they've already `given' him to pursue his noble dream.)

Not a mention of the connection between overpriced and leveraged property speculation such as this and the wider Irish crisis.

Yet another Grand Designs where the ending has to be cobbled together before the building is habitable - "Blah blah determination, blah blah vision, blah blah courage"

Do I detect a change in this programme from architecture/design to soap opera - where we the viewers take more delight in watching an unfolding car crash than in admiring the state of the art granite worktop?

Y

Edited by yokel

Do I detect a change in this programme from architecture/design to soap opera - where we the viewers take more delight in watching an unfolding car crash than in admiring the state of the art granite worktop?

I hope not, I'm not a big fan of watching people making fools of themselves. What was the bank thinking (oh that's right, they weren't!).

On a related note, if the UK govt is pushing for lots of new houses to be built, who's going to buy them if no-one can get a mortgage for the selling price? Are we going to end up like Ireland, with thousands of empty new-builds?

I hope not, I'm not a big fan of watching people making fools of themselves. What was the bank thinking (oh that's right, they weren't!).

On a related note, if the UK govt is pushing for lots of new houses to be built, who's going to buy them if no-one can get a mortgage for the selling price? Are we going to end up like Ireland, with thousands of empty new-builds?

I thought the Irish ghost estates were similar to the Spanish ones, built for speculators, not because they were needed to house people.

I can see this playing out by the government using money transferred from the older generations through taxation/Qe to make up the difference between what peoople can get a mortgage for and what the builders want as profit.

Edited by campervanman

Apologies if there is already a thread but the programme last night was almost a parody of itself.

Irish Clown promised 1.2 million Euro by the bank to do up an old folly castle. Unrealistic timescale, no architect, `engineer' being project manager and Irish Clown walking around all the time changing things. No drawings (so how was the loan agreed?) Planning permission ignored. Workers sacked on a whim by Irish Clown and `engineer' also walks in protest. Plans to turn a turret into a jacuzzi. You get the idea.

Part way through - in a completely unrelated universe, the Irish bank crashes and bailouts hit the headlines. The Irish Clown is portrayed as an innocent victim of the crash "The banks won't give me the money they've promised" etc.

Not a mention of how Irish Clown will pay back the loan (or even the interest on the money they've already `given' him to pursue his noble dream.)

Not a mention of the connection between overpriced and leveraged property speculation such as this and the wider Irish crisis.

Yet another Grand Designs where the ending has to be cobbled together before the building is habitable - "Blah blah determination, blah blah vision, blah blah courage"

Y

A friend who watched this told me that he was indeed paying off his existing loan, hence why he couldn't understand the bank not wanting to lend more?

Edited by shipbuilder

I thought the Irish ghost estates were similar to the Spanish ones, built for speculators, not because they were needed to house people.

I can see this playing out by the government using money transferred from the older generations through taxation/Qe to make up the difference between what peoople can get a mortgage for and what the builders want as profit.

Intereesting to see the tack the vested interests are taking over here in Ireland now. Their mantra is that "good" areas are picking up. They have abandoned all pretence that house prices outside of affluent urban areas will ever pick up. This can be witnessed in certain media outlets of late.It is nonsense in my opinion, in that house prices will possibly never rise here anywhere again for a whole generation. What is grating though, is the whinging by burrowers that the banks let them have the money, with some even saying banks should be sued for lending too much. The banks can defend themselves, but it is annoying to hear people say that they had no choice but to buy.

Know someone who viewed a house in rural area 40 mins drive from Dublin. Nice bungalow. good bit of land, €80 K asking price. Reckon same would have fetched circa €300K + about 3 years ago.

Y

The program has to be filmed to a schedule.

How can they tell when they start filming, whether it will be finished by the time that they have to move to the cutting-room?

"make over" programs always suffer this risk

tim

The guy who screwed up in his quest to renovate the 'castle' was a bit of a clown alright, though he was clearly funny and charming and definitely got on well with Kevin McCloud. Sort of a 'Flurry Knox' character (from the old 'Irish R.M.' series).

What was particularly ironic was the way he was bemoaning what had become of the country and the banks - totally ignoring the fact that the banks (and by extension the country, since the inept and corrupt politicians in the Irish government outright bailed the banks) was in that mess precisely because they had extended large amounts of credit to chancers like him to punt into harebrained property investments....

How can they tell when they start filming, whether it will be finished by the time that they have to move to the cutting-room?

"make over" programs always suffer this risk

tim

True, but they could assess the risks - make sure the subjects have a cohesive plan (and drawings) , funding, professional advice in place, planning permission etc.

Unless part of the shtick is the will they/wont they finish the house before they either go bankrupt or (in some programmes) start having huge rows through the stress.

Y

The guy who screwed up in his quest to renovate the 'castle' was a bit of a clown alright, though he was clearly funny and charming and definitely got on well with Kevin McCloud. Sort of a 'Flurry Knox' character (from the old 'Irish R.M.' series).

What was particularly ironic was the way he was bemoaning what had become of the country and the banks - totally ignoring the fact that the banks (and by extension the country, since the inept and corrupt politicians in the Irish government outright bailed the banks) was in that mess precisely because they had extended large amounts of credit to chancers like him to punt into harebrained property investments....

That's what struck me (the cause of the crash or one of its effects).

I wasn't sure whether the charming blarney was genuine or a front - some of his actions seemed very ruthless and when he had turned up over the weekend with a gang of mates and demolished some internal walls without the project engineer knowing seemed bizarre and worrying.

Y

That's what struck me (the cause of the crash or one of its effects).

I wasn't sure whether the charming blarney was genuine or a front - some of his actions seemed very ruthless and when he had turned up over the weekend with a gang of mates and demolished some internal walls without the project engineer knowing seemed bizarre and worrying.

Y

Ireland is full of 'cute hoors' who are basically charming, very sociable conmen who'd steal the shirt off your back and tell you a joke as they were doing it.

It's actually seen as a positive trait for politicians by many people - which explains why they have consistently ended up with what must surely be a series of the most corrupt and inept governments in Western Europe. You know things are bad when a finance minister (who later became PM) claimed not to have a bank account and transact only in cash.

Mahon Tribunal

Wikipedia entry

I really enjoyed the show. It was funny when the trades (in particular the carpenters) were interviewed. Work was completed, then un-done, and then re-done at the drop of a hat. There were downstairs' bedrooms that Kevin described as caves with only slits in the wall, and the world's smallest ensuite.

I felt a little sorry for the engineer. He seemed very motivated.

The bank (from the show editing) didn't care / have a clue what was going on ( project burning through money hand over fist), and before it was too late and realised what was going on they panicked. Did it end up in that wind down special purpose vehicle I wonder?

They all had a laugh though!

The Celtic Tiger :blink: