House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RRP

Landlords And Deposits

We have to move out of rented accommodation on a six months tenancy agreement on mid January.

I asked the landlord if I could use the deposit for the last six weeks of our rent. In return I would rectify a host of repairs like broken door steps (age), renew sensor lights on rear of garage, drain tank and renew sink washers, etc etc. I worked out that the list of repairs would take me about 2 to 3 days. Incidentally I served a full apprenticeship with a builder and have fully renovated three houses.

The Landlord has refused my offer. What worries me here is that he and his wife have “left” their jobs and are now backpacking somewhere in South America? They both worked in mortgage sales business. She sold mortgages and he worked in the IT side. I have in the past asked them to do small jobs but they have somehow forgotten to do them or left them up to me to sort out.

They do not have any fixed abode and I cannot see why someone would turn down an offer approx. £400 – 500 pound worth of repairs including materials etc.. I believe they are renting out their own flat.

We have been renting for nearly eighteen months and have never missed a payment.

Now, your opinions (sensible) and or advice on this please.

Edited by RRP

We have to move out of rented accommodation on a six months tenancy agreement on mid January.

I asked the landlord if I could use the deposit for the last six weeks of our rent. In return I would rectify a host of repairs like broken door steps (age), renew sensor lights on rear of garage, drain tank and renew sink washers, etc etc. I worked out that the list of repairs would take me about 2 to 3 days. Incidentally I served a full apprenticeship with a builder and have fully renovated three houses.

The Landlord has refused my offer. What worries me here is that he and his wife have “left” their jobs and are now backpacking somewhere in South America? They both worked in mortgage sales business. She sold mortgages and he worked in the IT side. I have in the past asked them to do small jobs but they have somehow forgotten to do them or left them up to me to sort out.

They do not have any fixed abode and I cannot see why someone would turn down an offer approx. £400 – 500 pound worth of repairs including materials etc.. I believe they are renting out their own flat.

We have been renting for nearly eighteen months and have never missed a payment.

I assume the deposit that they hold is equal 6 weeks' rent. If so, I don't really see why you are offering to do any repairs. Why don't you just not pay any rent for the last 6 weeks and then just leave? Give them written notice of what you are doing, it's only fair. As long as you are leaving the flat in as good a state as you found it (perhaps with a reasonable amount of wear and tear) you have a clear conscience.

I did this last time, and rather than the landlord getting worked up about it, he was extremely chuffed that we had left the place in such a neat and tidy state. Basically it meant he could immediately show round prospective new tenants, so it was less hassle for him.

Sounds like they haven't exactly done you any favours for the time you have been there, so why give them an opportunity to rip you off?

frugalista

I assume the deposit that they hold is equal 6 weeks' rent. If so, I don't really see why you are offering to do any repairs

Yes, roughly the same amount, the diffrenceI will pay. I offered to do the repairs to keep them happy as I will only get worked up if they send snotty e mails demanding that they hold the deposit. We got a rather snotty e mail when I sent them them the bill from the washing machine repair chap. I had to point out to them that they previoulsy written to me and asked me bill them for any necessary repairs.

I did this last time, and rather than the landlord getting worked up about it, he was extremely chuffed that we had left the place in such a neat and tidy state. Basically it meant he could immediately show round prospective new tenants, so it was less hassle for him.

Sounds like they haven't exactly done you any favours for the time you have been there, so why give them an opportunity to rip you off?

Don't pay the rent for the last 6 weeks.

Make good only any damage which is breakages not normal wear and tear.

We intend to leave the place in tip top condition. The place was a bit of a mess when we first moved and it states so in the inventory.

But yes, what the hell, I'll do the necessary only.They had a good opportunity here and they have blown it.

Edited by RRP

The new Housing Act introduces a rental deposit scheme which will become compulsory. I have no qualms about advising tenants not to pay the last rental amount equivalent to the deposit and ensuring that photographs and some worthy independent witness (a Roman Catholic priest) account is taken as to the remarkable cleanliness of the premises prior to doing a moonlight flit. What I would caution against is taking the boiler with you though - unless you are in a council house, in which case its compulsory (and expected).

They intend to stiff you, don`t let them do it.

I'm curious - are you dealing with a letting agency or direct with the landlord?

You say you have to leave but the landlords are travelling. Why do they want you out?

When I leave my current place I am not paying the last 6 weeks rent - to make sure I don't get tucked up. Last time they had me over for £83 - I am still plotting my revenge both on the landlord and the agency.

I can't be bother to fight in the courts over it - but I can be bothered to fight because I am one of those funny people that will not lie down when I get a kicking.

I fthey have swanned off to south America, then your deposit will become extra spending money for

them.

Don't expect that if they omit to do the maintainance, that they will exercise diligence

in returning your money.

I would inform them in writing that you will allow the deposit to pay the last 6 weeks rent

(perhaps hinting at the above), clean well, but do no repairs.

They are unlikely to be in a position to chase you.

Also, it sounds liek there was no inventory or status check when you moved in,

so I expect there won't be one when you leave.

Without it, they cannot reasonably claim damage or theft etc.

ABB

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

My advice:

Stop fretting over small change & do what you contracted to do, pay the rent. They can do what they contracted to do, make repairs.

And if you try to stiff them for the last rent, your comment on renting and never having missed a payment won't hold water anymore will it?

Personally I never hold back the last month/6 weeks rent as you are basically breaching your contract and they can put you on tenant black lists that can be very hard to get off. Also you are immediately souring any good will you may have with the landlord which in itself makes things more difficult.

If you have trouble getting the deposit back, all it costs is £80 to take the matter to a county court and you get that cost back when you win. Usually just the threat of this has managed to get all my deposit back, expecially if there is no inventory/condition report!

Boys & Girls - I really don't know how many times this has been raised as an issue. What on earth is there to consider. IMO anyone who pays their last months rent when a deposit is being held is absolutely barking MAD. It is YOUR MONEY. Your landlord has been in control of it for the period of your tenancy. To then pay the last months rent and allow him/her to then decide how much to repay you, their interpretation of damages/wear & tear, in what period of time they repay you, is sheer folly.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not advocating "stiffing" your landlord. Discharge your obligations to your landlord in terms of rental - no quibbles. But for goodness sake do not allow them to retain control of YOUR MONEY.

Sheeeesh !!!!!

It sounds like they need your money more than they need the repairs - so they're going to stiff you. Yes, you can apply through Small Claims, but it doesn't mean you'll ever get the money. Sod 'em, don't pay the last six weeks.

As for getting blacklisted - I haven't come across this and I'd be interested to hear more about it. Most of my rental experiences have been OK, apart from the landlady who had a nervous breakdown and whose phone got cut off. I didn't pay the last months rent, setting it against the deposit, as security.

Why should landlords get to bully their tenants in this way? And no, TTRTR, I don't buy your line. I'm sure you're scrupulously honest but the need for deposit bond schemes is because there are so many dodgy landlords.

The market is swamped with lettings. Do you really think any btl-chimp who's on the brink of the abyss will pass over the chance of staving of financial armageddon for a few months because you may or may not have withheld your last months rent?

If you want to test the rental market give a letting agent a call and offer well below the asking rent. See what happens.

I would not pay them any more money, and burn their house and flat to the ground, if they have not got any insurance of course, sound quite sensible??

No, depends how nuch deposit you have got with them , but i would not pay anything more in case you don't get it back,

Then burn it to the ground.

The Set-Off or deducting from Rent is common practice but be sensible about it.

The OFT publication of unfair tenacy rules that was published Sept 2005 is very useful.

The OFT guidelines regarding excessive cleaning charges states

"excessive cleaning charges - as a matter of normal practice in short lets, reflecting the common law, tenants are expected to return the property in as good and clean a condition as it was when they received it, with fair wear and tear excepted. We therefore commonly object to terms that could be used to make the tenant pay for the property to be cleaned to a higher standard than it was in at the start of the tenancy, or that require cleaning regardless of whether or not this is necessary for the tenant to comply with their normal obligations with regard to the state of the property"

What this means is provided you leave it as you received it or better the LA or LL can NOT insist on "professional" cleaning to be carried out at your expense. Note also the fair wear and tear. This is stamping out the jobs for the boys and the backhanders that go on in this industry.

I have just written to an ex LA whose property I moved out of in Dec 2004 after being there only 5 months most of which I spent on holiday, giving them 7 days to cough up my reasonable offer of getting some of my deposit back that they took for proffessional cleaning services (when the property didnt need cleaning).

If he refuses like he did back in Feb 2005 when I left it to get VAT clarification from HM Customs & Excise over his vat charges then in 7 days time I'll submit a small claims court becuase I'm a fair guy and this was blatant ripping off of tenants, but the courts will decided. :)

What will be interesting is IF I win my court case will the local rag be interested in publishing the story?? I doubt it becuase this company spends money with them.... oooh how cynical can you get ;) LOL

Indeed, the OFT publication of unfair tenacy rules is very useful, I posted the link in the 'All About Renting' section of HPC.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/DAAEFE5...EE/0/oft356.pdf

The landlords were moaning about it on the Singed Minge Forum, so I suspected it was good for renters.

ttrtr your nothing more than a troll on here, every comment you make is to get a rise outta people for your own warped gratification.

if anyone dont believe me go check out this fellows previous posts, each one is contradictory not just to the theme of this forum but to everything ever posted, not once have i see this fellow agree with anyone about anything.

guy just wants attention like all trolls do

Edited by homeless

You say you have to leave but the landlords are travelling. Why do they want you out?

No, we have decided to leave and they are private (young) BTL's not professional landlords. And, I think they are in trouble. No jobs now and no fixed abode. The original inventory is not too complimentary about the mess of the place and states so.

They also somehow knocked off £200 from the original deposit in the last tenancy agreement. We noticed this and they rectified it. An example - I asked them to fix the rear sensor light as it was burning day and night. They suggested we keep the light burning and we pay for it.

if you are dealing through an agent then:-

i think withholding rent will do you more long term damage than it may do short term good. play the game fairly and even handedly and you will be okay.

my experience of renting has always been positive enough.

food for thought:-

1/ the deposit is usually held by the agent. it is impossible for the landlord to simply 'run off' with your money.

2/ the cost of delapidation has to be agreed by both you and the landlord. this is a straightforward negotiation via the agent. (the landlord is as keen to reach an agreement as you are because they want to carry out the repairs and get the property back on the market asap)

3/ remember that your landlord will want to secure and maintain a sound reputation both with the agent and the local industry at large - he / she needs them!

4/ similarly, if you've rented once, you'll likely want or need to rent again in the future. who will you deal with if you have made a **** of the working relationship with your agent ?

5/ provided you negotiate a fair rent initially (don't over-stretch yourself and end up misdirecting your regrets and anxieties at the landlord!) then both you and your landlord will obtain mutual respect, a good business relationship and, ultimately the all important win-win situation.

ttrtr your nothing more than a troll on here, every comment you make is to get a rise outta people for your own warped gratification.

if anyone dont believe me go check out this fellows previous posts, each one is contradictory not just to the theme of this forum but to everything ever posted, not once have i see this fellow agree with anyone about anything.

guy just wants attention like all trolls do

That's why I am a bull & you are bears you knob head.

BECAUSE I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!

Guest Guy_Montag

Depending who I have rented from I have both paid the last month & not paid the last month. It is entirely dependant on the landlord/agent. If I think they are fair I will pay, if I do not trust them I will not pay. I have never been blacklisted for not paying.

To me, it sounds like when you move out you will never hear from these people again. They are in a foreign country, they do not seem that interested in sorting problems in your place. They can just break off communication with you & you'll have no way of getting any money out of them again.

I would stop paying rent, enjoy the last 6 weeks, then move on & forget about them.

That's why I am a bull & you are bears you knob head.

BECAUSE I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!

C'MON folks, please quit the bickering.

My 2p worth this that given the landlords previous form, i'd not pay the last 6 weeks as its unlikely you would get it back & its too much hassle to persue through Small Claims etc.

Downside is that you may not get a reference, but then if landlord is untrackable you are not going to get one anyway. Explain to new landlord situation & they will probably understand, especially if you have previous good ref.'s & can prove you paid rent on time up to last 6 weeks.

If they won't give you a reference - just tell the next landlord that you've just moved into the neighbourhood after selling up elsewhere.

I've had more dodgy landlords than good - but they've always paid me my desposit back in full.

Mine you I've never used a letting agency (why would you use one? parasites) - but rest assured if I didn't get my desposit back I'd give my key to the next homeless person I saw with the instructions to move in with their mates. That or live the door wide open.

IMO you are much more likely to get your deposit back from a landlord than from an agent.

The agent has to impress their customer (the landlord) with how much they got for the stain on the carpet. But the landlord has to look you in the eye when telling you they want to keep your money.

If you've been a top tenant, why would they want to spoil things at the end?