House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FreeFall

West London Anecdotal...

Nope - has that one closed as well??? Yeesh, where am I going to get my gadget fix now???

And you've got Stockley Park not far away with BT, Apple, Documentum, Glaxo, etc etc etc - there's lots of well paying jobs around.

Yes but a lot of those jobs are not as well paid as you might think. Go on to the IT recruitments sites and have a look.

A 3 bed semi in Hayes costs £250k - and Hayes is now a seriously unpleasant sh*tehole. If you worked in some sort of senior position at any one of those companies - what would you expect or hope to earn. 50k?

You would think being on a salary in the top 5% of the country might put you in reach of the top 5% of houses.

Here is a 4 bed detached house in Hillingdon you might expect an 'executive' to live in.

4 bed detached executive house

It's best part of 600k. If property prices don't go up or down, and you are 25 and just got a job at any one of those companies - and you are a high flyer and expecting to go up the ladder and want a house like that by the time you are 40 - how much are you going to have to earn then to afford that house. £150k?

Can't see it myself. Once the built up equity of people starts to go out of the system - as we have a period of stagnation/falling prices - as older people get older and its people who are 25 now that will want to buy those houses in 15 years time then, even if salaries stay where they are at the moment, a house like that will have to at least halve to be affordable.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in private sales of cars aka the desperate "good runner, x months MOT" scribbled note stuck in the side window. Seems like every residential street near here has at least one car for sale.

seems to be loads of cars for sale round here, my neighbour had a car for sale a few weeks ago, they have still got it so obviously couldnt sell it. second hand cars seem to be really cheap at the moment, im looking to buy something after christmas when people are really skint B)

Is it half term or something?

You're grasping at straws now. Fact is that, suddenly, a lot of people seem to be in financial trouble or have decided to cut down on spending.

I have said elsewhere - I live near the 2nd or 3rd largest (who cares, its the size of a football pitch) M&S superstore in Europe. Even though they have not been flavour of the consumer's month in recent years, you always found at the weekend you had to park outside the car park with 2 wheels on the pavement. Not any more - it's almost a pleasant place to visit now.

And we're only 7 weeks from Christmas. Normally it would be fisticuffs time trying to find a parking space and an atmosphere of pure aggression trundling around the crowded aisles.

One factor making it quiet, may be that it is the very end of the month, when most of the wage packet is spent, before recieving the next month's. Those maxed out on credit will be affected by this one.

You're grasping at straws too. How many people these days think, 'can't spend anything now - have to wait until the salary is in the bank!'

Face it, the party is over. The economy is holed below the waterline and down we all go. I find it interesting observing the collective stupidity of the masses.

Credit becomes cheap so, instead of paying down debt, people borrow more! I have to say it makes me laugh!

In Uxbridge you have a lot of very goodp ayers - Cisco, IBM, SAP to name a few off the top of my head.

... who have all "out sourced" jobs to foreign shores. Broken down and bankrupt Britain.

I'm trying to save a deposit and need about £20K thus every spare penny I have goes into the bank rather than being spent on the high street. Think of how many others are doing the same thing. £20K is not easy to save either so it has taken me and any others like me off of the high street for 2, 3, 4 years???

This is down to one fact only. The ridiculous prices of houses today.

On a side note. Spoke to my sister in law over the weekend who is 5 years older than me. She has a mortgage of £50K. Me as an FTB looking at £150K - £175K. Now that's inflation for you!!!

You're grasping at straws now. Fact is that, suddenly, a lot of people seem to be in financial trouble or have decided to cut down on spending.

I have said elsewhere - I live near the 2nd or 3rd largest (who cares, its the size of a football pitch) M&S superstore in Europe. Even though they have not been flavour of the consumer's month in recent years, you always found at the weekend you had to park outside the car park with 2 wheels on the pavement. Not any more - it's almost a pleasant place to visit now.

And we're only 7 weeks from Christmas. Normally it would be fisticuffs time trying to find a parking space and an atmosphere of pure aggression trundling around the crowded aisles.

You're grasping at straws too. How many people these days think, 'can't spend anything now - have to wait until the salary is in the bank!'

Face it, the party is over. The economy is holed below the waterline and down we all go. I find it interesting observing the collective stupidity of the masses.

Credit becomes cheap so, instead of paying down debt, people borrow more! I have to say it makes me laugh!

Delighted if I am wrong-North London and shops are always noticeably quieter during school holidays but I am the last person to deny the possibility of a slowdown.

Edited by Scooter

Well, last week I put my passport thru the wash ( I know, I'm an idiot ). When up to Petty France to get another. On the way, I overheard a conversation on the train. Guy was talking to a mate, he had opened a unit in Wimbledon about 6 months ago, selling designer clothes - underwear and jeans. Started well but had just closed up due to lack of trade. Nobody buying, simple. He was working in Regent Street as a temp in some shop - Dickins & Jones I think. Sales were down there and although he was there til the January sales, on the level of business he didnt think he would be there for xmas. This is a guy who knew retail and said it had never been this bad. Food for thought.

Delighted if I am wrong-North London and shops are always noticeably quieter during school holidays but I am the last person to deny the possibility of a slowdown.

well, I was in Camden Lock yesterday and have to admit to the worst attack of agoraphobia that I have known for a long long time.

I accept that the above location is probably anamolous due to the large volume of tourists/workshy student types/preening wannabes that infest the place. Hardly representative of Middle Britain, but deeply unpleasant for me, nonetheless.

One thing I did notice was a clear oversupply of drug dealers, they were desperate for business it seems. ;)