House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FreeFall

West London Anecdotal...

Wanted to share this with folks. I managed to wrap up my work early today (I know, working on the weekend...don't ask) so I thought I'd take a walk to get some fresh air & unwind. Now, I don't live in the best (read most expensive) area of west London, but it's a very high employment rate and quite highly paid area.

I probably walked about 4 miles in total and I was amazed at the sheer glut of properties in the area. I didn't count, but I would guess that just on the route that I walked I passed at least 25 properties for sale, and many other properties to let. I've never seen anything like this in the 7 years I've lived in the area. I suspect that people have realised that we're at the top of the market.

This isn't the most shocking thing though. I strolled through the town centre and my favourite shop, the temple to all things Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic has gone bump - I was absolutely gob smacked. It was an excellent shop, and Ive never seen it empty. For it to go bump and dissappear has really shocked me.

Maybe the belt tightening is greater than I suspected - even in this relatively prosperous area.

I suspect a lot of these are investment properties - the area is Hillingdon / Uxbridge / Ickenham. I would guess about 30% looked like main residences (i.e. obviously not flats)

Guest growl

This isn't the most shocking thing though. I strolled through the town centre and my favourite shop, the temple to all things Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic has gone bump - I was absolutely gob smacked. It was an excellent shop, and Ive never seen it empty. For it to go bump and dissappear has really shocked me.

Maybe the belt tightening is greater than I suspected - even in this relatively prosperous area.

Yep, went to my local high street in a nearby very small town, on Friday afternoon. Its a high street of independent retailers. There are three cafe's, all empty usually quite busy. A craft shop with a sign saying 'sorry we're closed due to staff sickness', I know for a fact that the assistant was only taken on a couple of months back. So why close. A carpet shop saying closed for ...wait for it...Halloween. Eh? :blink: friken Halloween? The woman behind the reception in the opticians was yawning and reading a newspaper. Another shop has been closed and boarded up since the begining of summer. Usually it would have been filled by now.

People keep making excuses. But nobody is spending money. Some of these shops are only open four days a week now. They are not shops that sell essential stuff. Five years ago there was only one cafe', only one hairdressers/barbers, now there's two. I reckon in a couple of years this high street will look similar to what it did five years ago.

Took my daughter to town on Sat., looking for boots. This is Southampton, a seriously busy town, especially since West Quay shopping centre opened a few years back. Now, Debenhams is at the bottom of the town, and this is where we ended up. Debenhams has always been a very busy place,hot stuffy and too many people. Barely a soul. Virtually had the whole of the kids dept. to ourselves, didn't have to wait for a seat to try on boots, all wih 20% marked off. This was the same for every floor, every dept. dead,dead,dead...as dead as it comes. In all my years I have never seen it like that...especially with less than 2 months before Christmas :(

Went out for an Indian meal in Radlett, Herts on Friday evening. Empty when we went in at 6.45. Empty when we left at 8. No other diners and just one takeaway! I have been there many times before and normally it is very busy most evenings.

Either this was a blip or eating in is becoming fashionable.

By the way the meal and service was crap.

I visited Swindon town centre on Saturday for the first time in a couple of years, it seemed as busy as always, but on closer inspection it seemed the people had got fatter and were taking up more space to compensate for the drop in numbers.

I was in the Triffid Centre in Manchester for the first time today. Jeeps, the women are big there.

Is it my imagination or are we turing into Americans?

Anyway, saw loads of "sold" signs on properties around Manchester. Perhaps there is a renaissance in property purchase occurring?

Most of you people seem to base your assessments of what is happening as a whole by focusing on odd towns south of Birmingham.

Retail has and will slow because people are'nt borrowing as much against their houses.

The fact that you people have to highlight this to underline your arguments of a HPC makes me wonder whether anyone on here is truly in a position to comment.......................................?

We had to use John Lewis vouchers a few weeks back. We drove to Edinburgh like lambs to the slaughter on a Saturday afternoon. We sat in the queue (as we have done miserably before) and got into the multi storey within 5 mins. Amazing.

Was at the Gyle on Friday afternoon ( gyle is a big shopping centre on the outskirts of Edinburgh) M and S was dead and the rest was pretty quiet (suits me as I hate busy busy shops sometimes)

Are people really this skint?

Things are definately quieter on the high streets near me. Dixons in East Ham as ever is empty. Even Argos actually had standing room this Saturday. And Barking market definately isn't as rammed as it used to be too. Of course it could just be Ramadam.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in private sales of cars aka the desperate "good runner, x months MOT" scribbled note stuck in the side window. Seems like every residential street near here has at least one car for sale.

Most of you people seem to base your assessments of what is happening as a whole by focusing on odd towns south of Birmingham.

Retail has and will slow because people are'nt borrowing as much against their houses.

The fact that you people have to highlight this to underline your arguments of a HPC makes me wonder whether anyone on here is truly in a position to comment.......................................?

Am I included in "you people" as well? I went to Manchester which I believe is north of Birmingham.

Anyway, I don't understand what point you are making. Are you referring to the location of the towns or the rate of MEW?

Has anyone else noticed an increase in private sales of cars aka the desperate "good runner, x months MOT" scribbled note stuck in the side window. Seems like every residential street near here has at least one car for sale.

Yep, I'm seeing plenty of cars with "for sale" stuck in the window.

Also watching second hand car prices, which seem to be falling a little faster than usual.

Also notice longer queues in heel bars, people getting shoes fixed for £10 rather than replacing them for £50.

All the first signs of recession starting to pop up...

I wish that was the case up here. (Edge of Leeds)

I thought I would try IKEA for the first time in a year. Bugger! We queued for 20 minutes to get in, it was packed out, tills were very busy, it took another 20 minutes to get out of the car park. Most of the big retail park (Birstall) was busy (although of course I cannot say if people were buying or 'window' shopping indoors because the weather was crap.

Plenty of houses up for silly money here in Morley, Gildersome and Drighlington but little selling.

:unsure:

The local super-cheap discount shop closed some time over the last couple of weeks. : :blink:

This store replaced a Renault dealership in a spanking new purpose built showroom that had only bee open a few years, maybe the lease was up.

Wanted to share this with folks. I managed to wrap up my work early today (I know, working on the weekend...don't ask) so I thought I'd take a walk to get some fresh air & unwind. Now, I don't live in the best (read most expensive) area of west London, but it's a very high employment rate and quite highly paid area.

I probably walked about 4 miles in total and I was amazed at the sheer glut of properties in the area. I didn't count, but I would guess that just on the route that I walked I passed at least 25 properties for sale, and many other properties to let. I've never seen anything like this in the 7 years I've lived in the area. I suspect that people have realised that we're at the top of the market.

Not the hi-fi shop in Hayes End on the Uxbridge Road by any chance?

Went out for an Indian meal in Radlett, Herts on Friday evening. Empty when we went in at 6.45. Empty when we left at 8. No other diners and just one takeaway! I have been there many times before and normally it is very busy most evenings.

Either this was a blip or eating in is becoming fashionable.

By the way the meal and service was crap.

They charge too much these days. I took my wife and 10 year old for an Indian early on Saturday evening a few weeks ago. £57! and we're vegetarian and don't drink (well okay I had one pint of lager).

Twice that and you get a week's food shopping at Tesco. I'm lucky - I can afford it - but I still think it's a daft amount of money for three plates of rice and vegetables.

Guest growl

Took my daughter to town on Sat., looking for boots. This is Southampton, a seriously busy town, especially since West Quay shopping centre opened a few years back. ..This was the same for every floor, every dept. dead,dead,dead...as dead as it comes. In all my years I have never seen it like that...especially with less than 2 months before Christmas :(

OMG

:blink: I love the Quay's. I go there about once a year just to stock up. You are right it is usually packed, any day of the week up until 8pm of an evening. God I love that place, especially where you can go up the escalators to the coffee shops and lounge around on leather sofas with your H&M and Schu stuff. :) Heaven.

Mind you haven't been for two years, just too busy. :rolleyes:

Am I included in "you people" as well? I went to Manchester which I believe is north of Birmingham.

Anyway, I don't understand what point you are making. Are you referring to the location of the towns or the rate of MEW?

Just look at the tag 'Big ££ from property 4 ever' :P

being a local skally i went down to the salford arndale for a muse about wilkinsons to kill some time.

i noticed it was quiet. before there were window shoppers. now its was fairly bare on feet.

dont freak yet. this is the pre christmas season. not a good spending month anyway,.

this christmas will be the real barometer for the high street. the run begins next week.

if people wont buy at christmas - they wont be buying anything the year after.

Not the hi-fi shop in Hayes End on the Uxbridge Road by any chance?

Nope - has that one closed as well??? Yeesh, where am I going to get my gadget fix now???

In Uxbridge you have a lot of very goodp ayers - Cisco, IBM, SAP to name a few off the top of my head.

And you've got Stockley Park not far away with BT, Apple, Documentum, Glaxo, etc etc etc - there's lots of well paying jobs around.

Edited by FreeFall

Took my daughter to town on Sat., looking for boots. This is Southampton, a seriously busy town, especially since West Quay shopping centre opened a few years back. Now, Debenhams is at the bottom of the town, and this is where we ended up. Debenhams has always been a very busy place,hot stuffy and too many people. Barely a soul. Virtually had the whole of the kids dept. to ourselves, didn't have to wait for a seat to try on boots, all wih 20% marked off. This was the same for every floor, every dept. dead,dead,dead...as dead as it comes. In all my years I have never seen it like that...especially with less than 2 months before Christmas :(

Is it half term or something?