House Price Crash Forum

Tory Leadership Candidate Not Doing A Blair

HOLA441

No idea of the guys background, he bought in 1995 for 500K when he was 28. Now doesn`t have a mortgage on it. Was he in investment banking prior to his political ambitions developing? Done very well. Can anyone find the property? Apologies in advance for being lazy, the kids have worn me out today and the roast is now ready.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...-name_page.html

HOLA442
HOLA443

I think I would prefer an economically astute PM to one who threw money away all the time

p.s. it's none of my business really but roasting one of the kids because they wore you out seems a bit harsh!

Ooooops, never saw that one do I edit my post? :o Yep with you on the financially astute PM, just wondered how the guy has made money over the years in order to have bought a 500K property in 1995 and managed to be mortgage free to boot. Also owns a very big house, a very big house in the countrweee..BTW the chicken roast was excellent!

HOLA444

I think I would prefer an economically astute PM to one who threw money away all the time

I wonder if his backer in the Tory leadership contest George Osbourne advised him, or if it was off his own bat. In fact finding out what Osbourne's financial acumen in his own private life would be even more interesting. Since he may well be our next chancelor and the person along with David Cameron who will be pulling us out of the hole, Bliar and Brown have got us into.

HOLA445

I don't care how astute he is with his own money. If he's really astute he will give tax breaks to the rich, since hes rich. Isn't that what all of them do? Does he have my interests at heart? I doubt it. I'm Jane Average. and I never lived through even one goverment that did.

HOLA446

"Cameron's a fully paid up member of planet Neo-Con. His campaign is supported by the trio of George Osborne, Michael Gove (formerly a journalist at The Times) and Ed Vaizey-(the latter pair are involved with the soon-to-be launched British section of the hard-core Atlanticist 'Henry Jackson Society')."

"Book now for The Henry Jackson Society’s London Launch

Houses of Parliament, 22nd November 2005

Email for tickets

The Henry Jackson Society is a non-profit organisation that seeks to promote the following principles: that liberal democracy should be spread across the world; that as the world’s most powerful democracies, the United States and the European Union – under British leadership – must shape the world more actively by intervention and example; that such leadership requires political will, a commitment to universal human rights and the maintenance of a strong military with global expeditionary reach; and that too few of our leaders in Britain and the rest of Europe today are ready to play a role in the world that matches our strength and responsibilities."

I'd prefer David Davis to some Neo-Con nutter! BTW, I noticed an interview with Mr 'end of history' Fukuyama on the Henry Jackson Society Web site. Oh dear me, how sad.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA447

Strikes me more as luck.

If he were really good with money he would not be using the proceeds to buy a more expensive place around the corner. Either STR or wait till prices go down and buy with a smaller price differential.

Oh well.

Imagine what impact a STR leader of the Opposition would have had...

HOLA448
HOLA449

Strikes me more as luck.

If he were really good with money he would not be using the proceeds to buy a more expensive place around the corner. Either STR or wait till prices go down and buy with a smaller price differential.

Oh well.

Bit more than luck needed to buy a 500K property in 1995 though don`t ya think? I don`t do conspiracy theories I`m just getting the feeling that this guy is incredibly well connected, politically. At the age of 38 that takes some doing. It is as though the Tories, aided by some greater political players, decided that they had to create the perfect opponent for Blair in lab conditions. In buying a more expensive place he`ll have a weather eye on when the next couple of economic cycles are due to kick in. If he`s that well connected he`ll have more than enough financial ammunition to weather any storms. Similar to Blair, who will not be losing sleep over losing 650K paper profit on his home short term. Hardly gonna get repossessed is it?

HOLA4410

...just wondered how the guy has made money over the years in order to have bought a 500K property in 1995 and managed to be mortgage free to boot.

'David Cameron':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cameron

Early life and career

Raised near Wantage in Oxfordshire, the son of stockbroker Ian Donald Cameron, he was educated at Eton and Brasenose College, Oxford. He graduated in 1988 with a first class honours degree in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics. He is married to Samantha Sheffield and has two children.

Cameron worked for the Conservative Research Department between 1988 and 1992, spending two days a week in Downing Street on the Prime Minister's Question Time briefing team. After the election he became a Special Advisor to the Conservative government, first at the Treasury (working for Norman Lamont at the time of Black Wednesday) and then the Home Office, where he worked for Michael Howard. Between 1994 and 2001 he was the Director of Corporate Affairs at Carlton Communications and until August 2005 he was a non-executive director of Urbium PLC, operator of the Tiger Tiger bar chain.

Not as much as one who emigrates to Canada.

I don't do conspiracy theories I'm just getting the feeling that this guy is incredibly well connected, politically.

'David Cameron':

Family background

David Cameron is the cousin of the Conservative political journalist and editor Ferdinand Mount and the grandson of Sir William Mount, 2nd Baronet. Through the Mounts, he is related to many British aristocratic families, being descended from the 7th Earl of Denbigh, the 1st Earl of Ducie, the 1st Earl of Carnarvon, the 2nd Earl of Egremont, the 6th Duke of Somerset and the 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury,...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I used to work round the corner from David Cameron at Carlton Communications...

He was there for a bit.

Don't know much else about his working life, other than that. But at least he's worked in business and understands supply and demand, rather than Bliar and Brown who've only ever known the gravy train of Westminster and spend spend spend.... supply supply supply.... spend spend spend

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest tenant super

"Cameron's a fully paid up member of planet Neo-Con. His campaign is supported by the trio of George Osborne, Michael Gove (formerly a journalist at The Times) and Ed Vaizey-(the latter pair are involved with the soon-to-be launched British section of the hard-core Atlanticist 'Henry Jackson Society')."

"Book now for The Henry Jackson Society’s London Launch

Houses of Parliament, 22nd November 2005

Email for tickets

The Henry Jackson Society is a non-profit organisation that seeks to promote the following principles: that liberal democracy should be spread across the world; that as the world’s most powerful democracies, the United States and the European Union – under British leadership – must shape the world more actively by intervention and example; that such leadership requires political will, a commitment to universal human rights and the maintenance of a strong military with global expeditionary reach; and that too few of our leaders in Britain and the rest of Europe today are ready to play a role in the world that matches our strength and responsibilities."

I'd prefer David Davis to some Neo-Con nutter! BTW, I noticed an interview with Mr 'end of history' Fukuyama on the Henry Jackson Society Web site. Oh dear me, how sad.

Surely they might just as well call this the Tony Blair Society!! ;)

HOLA4415

No idea of the guys background, he bought in 1995 for 500K when he was 28. Now doesn`t have a mortgage on it. Was he in investment banking prior to his political ambitions developing? Done very well. Can anyone find the property? Apologies in advance for being lazy, the kids have worn me out today and the roast is now ready.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...-name_page.html

I believe Cameron's wealth is entirely family money. He seems to be trying to play this down at the moment.

HOLA4416

...just wondered how the guy has made money over the years in order to have bought a 500K property in 1995 and managed to be mortgage free to boot.

'David Cameron':

Not as much as one who emigrates to Canada.

I don't do conspiracy theories I'm just getting the feeling that this guy is incredibly well connected, politically.

'David Cameron':

Thanks Jeff, sadly that tells us all we need to know :angry:

HOLA4417
Guest The Dude

p.s. it's none of my business really but roasting one of the kids because they wore you out seems a bit harsh!

Nah...just an honest one will do....

Don't know anything more really, but Cameron's links with Michael Gove and friends are a concern.

Wonder if Murdoch is pushing Cameron?

You can bet Murdoch is pushing this toff....

HOLA4418