Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Worthy Darwin Award Candidate

Recommended Posts

I'm amazed that trains pass so close to each other. In this case it must have been less than 18inches.

Yes, it does not leave much room for any, I don't know what you would call it, movement in one train's carriages approaching another.

The last time I went on a train the doors had windows that you could pull down and people regularly stuck their heads out of them, despite the warnings on the doors, when the weather was hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, the windows should have been secured to only open a few inches. But sticking your head out of a track-facing train window is akin to poking around in a power socket with a paperclip. You can't legislate for that kind of stupidity.

The ones I do know still have them (e.g. the HSTs) need lowering further than that so you can get out. It really shouldn't matter and there really shouldn't be any calls for measures to stop them opening or to get rid of the remaning ones because one person has been stupid. But alas the UK doesn't work like that any more, we've got to have flashy high-tech padded can't-do-anything-wrong instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trains actually don't pass very close to each other, since obviously the consequences of 'out of gauge' events can be so serious. I've spent many a happy hour with my head stuck out of train windows and never come close to having it knocked off. I used to spend a good quarter of the journey down to see my Grandad in Somerset enjoying the 90mph dieselly blast behind a Class 50 as a kid; I got told off by the guard for hanging out the window as we were coming into Reading the first time I ever rode a HST (which I'd insisted on, it was nowhere near as convenient going from Taunton and getting in to Paddington, but my mum had agreed as she knew how much I loved trains; I still adore HSTs to this day).

The chap must have been hanging right out, possibly to get a better view of something that had just gone past. Out of morbid curiosity I'm just off to Realtime Trains to see if I can figure out what it was...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chap must have been hanging right out, possibly to get a better view of something that had just gone past. Out of morbid curiosity I'm just off to Realtime Trains to see if I can figure out what it was...

You could just take a trip on the Gatwick Express and have a look...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could just take a trip on the Gatwick Express and have a look...

The express is both expensive, and no good to me anyway, as when I'm coming back from Gatwick I want to change at East Croydon and get the 75 bus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, the windows should have been secured to only open a few inches. But sticking your head out of a track-facing train window is akin to poking around in a power socket with a paperclip. You can't legislate for that kind of stupidity.

i guess they never got round to it on the gatwick express.

I was on it a couple of months ago, and they still have the type of doors where you have to pull the window down and open the door using the outside handle when you get to the station.

it's an easy fix, a lot of the other high speed trains with that type of carriage have already been converted(it's a modified mk 3 HST coach for all the trainspotters amongst you)

If you think this accident is bad, it used to be a lot worse on the old trains with "suiciders"

the old locomotives used to have external couplings that stuck out, and impaled passing depressives who decided throwing themselves in front of a train was their method of checking out.

it was not uncommon for these engines to pull up in the nearest station with bits of people hanging off of the coupling, and some unfortunate station master/guard had the job of cleaning it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the guy hit something lineside, so it's not a question of trains passing very close. There are some areas with rather tight clearances, although I'm surprised that they're on any line with high speeds (although hitting your head at 25 mph isn't going to do you much better than at 125 mph). Death by misadventure, entirely his own fault, nothing needs doing, carry on as normal please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point of my anecdote: you can't stop kids being silly - rather, you have to ensure that train windows are too small for (little) heads to stick through. But a lot of railway carriages date back to a time when health&safety was... more relaxed!

Kids will be kids and are allowed to be stupid! Grown men less so... :)

The ones I do know still have them (e.g. the HSTs) need lowering further than that so you can get out. It really shouldn't matter and there really shouldn't be any calls for measures to stop them opening or to get rid of the remaning ones because one person has been stupid. But alas the UK doesn't work like that any more, we've got to have flashy high-tech padded can't-do-anything-wrong instead.

I agree. Common sense is reinforced by these kinds of tragic (but stupid and easily avoided) events. Parents should use them to highlight to their children the risks of hanging out of train windows. And then life goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Death by chocolate: Mother of two dies after falling into a vat of molten confectionery at a Russian sweet factory 

Svetlana Roslina, 24, dropped her mobile phone into the vat of sweet mix and reached in to retrieve it, but fell, and couldn't get out, according to reports.

How many bars did she get on her phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, interestrateripoff said:

Death by chocolate: Mother of two dies after falling into a vat of molten confectionery at a Russian sweet factory 

Svetlana Roslina, 24, dropped her mobile phone into the vat of sweet mix and reached in to retrieve it, but fell, and couldn't get out, according to reports.

That's not a Darwin award as she has already passed on her genes. It must actually be the definitive winner of the "Augustus Gloop" award.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another contender 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

Richard Bull died when his iPhone charger made contact with the water at his home in Ealing, west London.

A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future deaths.

Safety campaigners have warned about the dangers of charging mobiles near water following the inquest.

Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports

He suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand when the charger touched the water and died on 11 December, the newspaper said.

Assistant coroner Dr Sean Cummings, who conducted the inquest at West London Coroner's Court on Wednesday, is to write a prevention of future death report to send to Apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sad thing about that story are the bits about writing to Apple to take action to prevent further deaths. Don't change the world to fit the idiots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Another contender 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

Richard Bull died when his iPhone charger made contact with the water at his home in Ealing, west London.

A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future deaths.

Safety campaigners have warned about the dangers of charging mobiles near water following the inquest.

Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports

He suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand when the charger touched the water and died on 11 December, the newspaper said.

Assistant coroner Dr Sean Cummings, who conducted the inquest at West London Coroner's Court on Wednesday, is to write a prevention of future death report to send to Apple.

Should give him an iFuneral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The sad thing about that story are the bits about writing to Apple to take action to prevent further deaths. Don't change the world to fit the idiots.

It's not entirely clear what he did, according to the Daily Hate, " 'We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable and then the charger element in the bath,"

My iphone charger plugs into a normal 3 pin 220V socket. There is a then a lead on the secondary side at ~5V which goes to my phone. If what I would describe as my charger (the bit with 3 pins that plugs into a socket into which I then plug a usb-iphone lead into) was on my chest then the extension lead (and 220V-13A power supply) would also have to be in close proximity to my chest.

Later in the article it says " 'The extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water."

Although it's not clear what they mean, I think it implies it was the primary (220V-13A certain death side) of the transformer that killed him. Perhaps he had a charger with two leads, one from the mains socket to the charger itself, then a second lead from the charger to the phone, like a laptop charger, but I've not seen these for iPhones.

I don't know what apple are meant to do to stop this happening again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

It's not entirely clear what he did, according to the Daily Hate, " 'We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable and then the charger element in the bath,"

My iphone charger plugs into a normal 3 pin 220V socket. There is a then a lead on the secondary side at ~5V which goes to my phone. If what I would describe as my charger (the bit with 3 pins that plugs into a socket into which I then plug a usb-iphone lead into) was on my chest then the extension lead (and 220V-13A power supply) would also have to be in close proximity to my chest.

Later in the article it says " 'The extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water."

Although it's not clear what they mean, I think it implies it was the primary (220V-13A certain death side) of the transformer that killed him. Perhaps he had a charger with two leads, one from the mains socket to the charger itself, then a second lead from the charger to the phone, like a laptop charger, but I've not seen these for iPhones.

I don't know what apple are meant to do to stop this happening again.

 

Either he dropped the mains extension into the bath and there fore its Npower the coroner needs to talk to about preventing this in the future. Or plod needs to take a closer look at this girlfriend and who his life insurences pays out on his demise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I don't know what apple are meant to do to stop this happening again.

Put a warning on it that says "Don't charge your phone in the bath, you frickin' cretin"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Put a warning on it that says "Don't charge your phone in the bath, you frickin' cretin"?

 

I once took delivery of stand alone metal shelving with a sheet of A4 attached warning me not to use the shelves as a ladder

#WTF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   217 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.