House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
he who dares

Sick Of Waiting

First of all hello again to all the hpc regulars, i have been coming to the site on and off for the last few months but just could not be bothered posting anymore but have been kept up to date with all the relevant hpc info from all the old timers on the site, cheers for the postings people without a regular dose of hpc every now and again i feel i would have crumbled under the massive weight of the vi propaganda machine and bought a scrubby semi by now.

Anyway a quick update in my neck of the woods saddleworth/oldham (sh1thole) area.

NOTHING is selling! in particular saddleworth has come to a complete standstill. Was talking to an ea in the area on friday (who i get on quite well with funnily enough) and she tells me they are only just ticking over and is at her wits end with sellers refusing to give up their ill gotten gains and will not drop their prices and that buyers just are not bothering at the moment (waiting for price drops) funny thing is she is now anticipating price drops and no longer tries to ramp the market up anymore and this is from the agent who started the bubble in saddleworth in the first place!

I read apollo's posts with amusement, desperately trying to ramp up the market in the manchester region (don't believe the hype of the junior ea/teaboy) he is just trying to keep his job the manchester region is as flat as everywhere no one earns the wages to keep the bubble from popping up here.

Anyway to cut a long story short or shorter! I am getting fed up of the str adventure, i decided to give it a year and see what happens that was jan 05 and although i can see the cracks appearing it seems to me that the government/vi's have got so much dependant on high house prices that they are doing everything possible to stop the hpc. So i have decided on waiting until the land reg figs come out in november and if they don't show a negative figure then i will give up and BUY........in Australia!! Ha Ha.

There is no way i am buying into this pyramid selling con so i have decided to do what every other sane person is doing and i am getting out while the going is good. I have got the cheque written/the forms are signed and am ready to post them to my immigration agent.

The sad thing is i am going not because i really fancy australia or what it has to offer (although it does have a lot) I am really doing it simply to escape the insanity of what is going on in the uk now Taxation/pc gov/chavs etc.

If anyone has any good info on aus or advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers. :)

Edited by he who dares

Good post re the anecdotals, but I think it would be a mistake to

go to Oz just because you don;t like things here.

Oz is in as bad if not worse situation of HPI, and

what will you do if you find Oz is not your cup of tea?

(You _will_ miss the milk/white sliced bread , 'snow' at Christmas etc)

Where next?

ABB

Cheers abb.

I know aus has suffered with hpi just like the uk but it is coming off the boil now and with the proceeds from my house sale i could buy a 4/5 bed house with pool and have virtually no mortgage! plus it will take around 12 months for my application to go through so i hope there will be further falls in the meantime!

But i am not considering going just for a bigger house, it just seems that everything is wrong in the uk right now, hpi (of course) education system in a shambles, tax rises soon are going to hit hard, chavs,violence exploding on the streets, pc government, everyone seems to have a face like a smacked @rse in the uk it all seems to be all work and no play and bill after bill after bill.

At least in aus if it is still as expensive in the uk at least you have the weather instead of sitting in the house all day on a sunday trawling the web for want of owt better to do as it is p1ssing down outside!

Coincidentally i was at an expats meeting recently and was amazed at how far down the line people have got with regards to going to aus but still had not sold their house but are planning for the future without actually having the funds.

PS i really don't want to slag off the uk so much but there really is so much to moan about. :angry:

mercsl

Have been looking at adelaide, off to live in the burbs.

Don't fancy city living don't like any cities in the uk i have always liked being out in the sticks (to a certain degree!) i am not going to live in the bush.

I have been checking out the hp's on ljhooker.com and realestate.aus and am looking in the region of300k aus dollars and there seems to be loads but i won't know until i get there these houses could be in the middle of a chav estate!

But when you look at what your money buys you there and what you get here there really is no comparison.

The sad thing is i am going not because i really fancy australia or what it has to offer (although it does have a lot) I am really doing it simply to escape the insanity of what is going on in the uk now Taxation/pc gov/chavs etc.

Its just as bad and greedy there mate. What are you talking about? (when I was there 2 1/2 years ago, you could fill your shopping trolley to overflowing for 70 quid - when I was their 6 months ago it was about 1/3rd of a shopping trolley. This idea that australia is cheap is out of date. Ever since the Consumption Tax it is just as expensive as england)

Go for fun, but don't expect the locals to be any less greedy or grasping and the govenment is pure tax crazy conservative sh*ite and lying anti-democratic sh*te as well (think tony blair without the height or the good manners).

EDIT: But yeah, house prices may be somewhat cheaper.

Edited by Elizabeth

Hi He Who Dares,

I'm Australian but my man is English, which has meant that with we have ended up living in both countries for the past 8 years. Now happily settled in London.

I have to tell you that as well as there being a lot of great things about Australia, some of the things Elizabeth says are quite true. The government is incredibly conservative, taxes are higher than here in the UK, there's a real lack of choice in media views, and although it's a multicultural society, there is still a core of people who resent 'new australians' and happily ignore that the problems of the indigenous populations were caused by a range of literally incredible government policies (like forced removal of children) that existed until relatively recently in that sunny country.

Yes the weather is great, the people are friendly, and property prices are lower, but if you haven't done it already, I would really recommend an extended stay to see if it's right for you.

I'm sure you've had that advice already and hope you're not offended by the suggestion, just thought I would add my two cents worth (as we say).

Ta,

AP

yeah you will have better weather and probably a bigger home.

Australia is not paradise, if you think escaping the UK for violence, Australia is just one notch behind the UK in the violent crime statistics. Also you will find you have to work a lot harder in OZ. After south korea, Australians work the longest hours per week of the western world. 20% of the Australians do not take any holiday a year.

But for going on Holiday it is perfect.

How do I know all this. I married one.

sweet posts. i can confirm manchester is pretty still, though there are still MASSIVE amounts of building work still going on in the centre. mainly uber-flats.

outside the city and the outer burbs its pretty shabby.

region wide its even worse. i dont see them rising at all. as you say. wages outside the city centre are around 14k-18k at best for average joes. no one can afford them.

yes, they saw the ill gotten gains on tv programs and now they want their piece of the action...

ts a long wait, but its going every day. no speculation. the crash is certainly on.

With regard tp property prices in Oz, east coast prices, particularly Sydney have taken some serious body hits with estimates of up tp -20% wheras Perth is still booming due to the bouyant mineral markets. There is no doubt that in Oz you get more bangs for your buck compared to the UK regarding property values 330K will buy you a lot of house. Cost of living according to basket of groceries is -30% below the UK but salaries are also lower, petrol -60% but distances greater, direct taxes now about the same but vat only 10% and no council tax. Quality of life measured in climate, family values, low crime, the environment, non pc politics and all that neauseating baggage that goes with political correctness in Britain, and the friendliness of the people is excellent.

In my opinion, one of the best global choices of where to live, but bear in mind emmigration can take 18 months to process.

Edited by make my day

.... So i have decided on waiting until the land reg figs come out in november and if they don't show a negative figure then i will give up and BUY........in Australia!! Ha Ha.

There is no way i am buying into this pyramid selling con so i have decided to do what every other sane person is doing and i am getting out while the going is good. I have got the cheque written/the forms are signed and am ready to post them to my immigration agent.

If I were you, I'd rent in Oz for a year, see if it's your bag and then go from there. Looks like you'll get a better deal on a property by waiting, too!

Good luck, anyway... ;)

At least in aus if it is still as expensive in the uk at least you have the weather instead of sitting in the house all day on a sunday trawling the web for want of owt better to do as it is p1ssing down outside!

I can't actually remember the last time I was stuck in because of the rain - and it's November tomorrow.

Was out in shorts and T-shirt over the weekend as we had 21 degrees down here in the SE.

I've been to OZ twice and the 2nd time was a very wet period in Sydney, flooding etc. It is on the edge of tropics so experiences heavy rain at times.

Also, I don't have the figures at hand but crime rate is higher in OZ I believe. My cousing got mugged at gun point there.

Then there's the fact that you are miles and miles away from anywhere else, from the Uk it's a £50 flight and less than an hour to loads and loads of culturally rich countries.

Hello HWD

I left the UK in August 2004 for many of the reasons that you mention. The country has had it, there's no two ways about that! If it does recover from the moronic state that it's in, it's going to take several years to do so. Do you really want to spend any more of your one and only life just existing in a country ran by a bunch of *u**s who have no respect for it's citizens?

I still find it very sad that people have been brainwashed into accepting and allowing nobhead 'culture' to seemingly dominate the country! When I was younger it was cool to be different and creative....to be yourself, whatever that was! The sort of ***** that now permeates would have been considered so embarrasing, naff and derivative it wouldn't even be worthy of comment!

I consider myself to be a very open minded person who has lived a very varied life. I spent much of my early adolesence in the late seventies/early eighties playing in bands, dossing in squats and generally living a life very different from my school peers. I've never been a conventional person, but I did used to feel proud to be British! The point I'm trying to make is that I now think the UK has got SO bad that people from distinctly diverse backgrounds, who in a different climate, would probably have nothing in common are now all quoting from the same book. The country stinks! It's become a prison with no quality of life for the majority. In more enlightened times people would have done something about it by now, or maybe they would'nt have let it happen in the first place? You can see whats happening, don't provaricate ....do something about your situation! It helps agreat deal to have a migration agent with a partner or an office in Oz as well as the UK, I can reccoment someone if you need one.

I live in rural South Western Australia, about a two hour drive from Perth ,in a five bedroomed house on an acre of bushland with loads of wildlife to keep me and my family company! I pay around 120 quid a week rent, god knows how much this would cost me in the UK - maybe 1500 quid a month?

Yes, house prices are still rising in WA.... 40% in my area alone in the past year! But compared to the lunacy of the UK you still get a lot more for your money. If the house I rent was up for sale it would be the equivilent of around 200K. At the moment it's overpriced by around 70%, but I'm convinced prices will begin to drop over here soon. Although we've had a massive hike recently, houses are now starting to stagnate as there are now longer any FTB's and people can't afford to trade up.

I've been here 14 months and I still haven't managed to find a job, despite trying very hard!

I came over here with around 100K from the sale of my three bedroomed terrace, that is now rapidly dwindling away, but I've got to say I haven't been as happy since I was a kid.

Crime is a rarity where I live. If somebody breaks a window round here it's likely to be reported on the front page of the local paper! It's very common to see cars unlocked with the keys in the ignition at the local supermarket and I haven't heard of one car being nicked since I've been here. My 7 year old son cycles a four mile round trip to school every day with his mates - can you imagine a kid that age doing that anywhere in the UK?

I've travelled around most of Australia and I still think the West is the best. It is a little backward in some ways, but holds a certain innocence and charm. People are extremely helpful and friendly......and HAPPY!.... Most importantly they seem to TRUST one another! It does remind me of what England was like when I was growing up in the sixties. No doubt it'll change as it becomes more urbanised, but I can honestly say that at the moment it is a great place to live and the quality of life is incredible compared to the UK. I rode my trial bike down 5 miles of local beach yesterday and I didn't see another person and there's as much traffic driving around Perth on a Saturday afternoon as there would have been in any provincial UK town in the early seventies!

Like I said earlier, YOU ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE! If you can afford to take the risk financially then go for it, the change will do you the world of good!

Sausages are crap in Oz. You will miss the British banger. Also, if you think UK women are no longer girly enough then Heaven help you in Oz. Having said that, you probably will have a better quality of life so, if you fancy it, go for it.

Personally, I would plan a 3 month hol first and see if you like it - aim to live like a local for 3 months.

Sausages are crap in Oz. You will miss the British banger. Also, if you think UK women are no longer girly enough then Heaven help you in Oz.

A group of Ozzie girls talking is like an assault on the ears similar to a bunch of crows squawking

Thanks everyone for your responses/views.

I know that aus has it's problems too and the grass always appears greener but i simply feel as trevor werewolf posted that i am merely existing in the uk and not actually living. The future appears to consist of rainy, grey 10/12 hour days and the evenings consisting of a diet of crap reality tv followed by a 30 minute dose of depression called eastenders (if it wasn't for the daft gangster storylines i think it gives an accurate portrayal of modern uk "life" everyone seems to be p1ssed off) and no amount of sh1t that the tv tries to coerce you to buy makes you any happier.

I just fancy a nice bit of weather, the odd barbie and a beer on the veranda of an evening.

But yes i could do with a long holiday in aus first it's just a bit tricky with 2 kids at school (i keep saying to the wife i will go for 3 months on my own to test the water but she seems strangely reluctant!!)

Munimula.

I live in Oldham, it ALWAYS RAINS HERE!

There is a lot of mis-information here and conflicting stats being posted. Does anyone have the official crime figures compared to the UK? I also am considering moving to Aus or NZ, for the same reasons as others. I am trying to research it. Direct taxation I have discovered it is slightly higher to the UK:

AUS Income tax including Medicare levy of 1.5% works out to be 26.1% of salary (based on $58000 income)

UK tax including NHS contibutions: works out to be 25.4% of salary based on £24,500/ $58,000

BUT you only have 10% VAT, no TV licence, much cheaper petrol. Stamp duty is 2% or free for first time buyers. Council tax/property tax I have not properly worked out yet but I would imagine they are not as high as UK, as the following shows:

Glenorchy City Council has levied the following rates and charges for the 2004/05 year:

General 7.5048 cents

Water 5.6733 cents (min $238.70)

Sewer 4.5296 cents (min $229.35)

Revaluation Levy .0526 cents

Fire Levy (urban) 1.3941 cents (min $29.00)

Fire Levy (rural) .3734 cents (min $29.00)

Service Charges - Fixed

$36.00 for 140 litre fortnightly collection

$36.00 for weekly collected shared bins at multiple tenancies

$72.00 for 140 litre weekly collection

$61.70 for 240 litre fortnightly collection

$123.40 for 240 litre weekly collection

$34.20 for recycling collection

It sounds much fairer than our system, you pay for the size of the rubbish collection you need. Interesting the water services are billed by the council too.

It seems to be a case of you either think its crap here but not that bad and make excuses for not getting out or you think who cares I just want out.

I won't miss the British banger. I agree that maybe the aussie accents might be annoying but isn't any foreign accent after a while? Price of goods and cost of living will be lower but the bottom line is, What will your salary be over there for the same job? I look on jobsites but nobody seems to post salary info. Just says salary: 'neg' or 'excellent'. No point in saving on the cost of living but find you earn rubbish money there and are worse off than here. Thats my main concern.

Is this really true about Aus having the longest working hours per week of the western world and not much holiday? That would suck.

But there hardly isn't a day that goes by when I don't think that I hate what this country has become and think about getting out. Can anyone add to this list of stats or help me with the research? What about things like MOT tests, home/car insurance, school/uni fees, electricity/gas prices etc??

Edited by Spoony

Don't know much about salaries there since haven't been there for 9 years but if it any help I know someone who is at the top of the range at 55K AUD who would be getting 31K GBP in London for top of the range exactly the same job. Its a public sector job, but 31K GBP is about 73K AUD. Might be less in the counties. It depends whether the sums add up elsewhere. Have you remembered to include NI in your tax calculations?

Hi there,

True that salaries generally lower - I would be struggling to get 2/3 of what I earn here (but I'm working in London so probably not a fair comparison).

Be careful with your information on stamp duty for property purchases - I believe the rate for this is set by the State rather than Federal government and so can vary widely - for example in Victoria it's $2560 plus 6 per cent of any value over $115,000. This calculator can help you work out the duty payable for a property of the same value in all the States and Territories:

http://www.iproperty.com.au/Content/Calc_StampDuty.aspx

Watch the Medicare Levy Surcharge - I believe everyone has to pay the flat 1.5%, but if you earn more than $50,000 then you have to get private health insurance or pay an additional 1% - see here:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/pub...ers-medlevy.htm

Also, the Government occasionally whacks on an extra levy/tax to pay for extra/unbudged expenses - for example, in 2000-01 they added an extra 0.5% levy for those earning $50K, 1% for those earning $100K to pay for operations in East Timor following independence.

The Australian version of council tax is 'rates' - the best thing about them is that they're only payable by the property owner - so if you rent you don't pay them at all. I try not to get too nostalgic about this when I hand over my yearly £1500 wedge to my local authority as a tenant.

AP

Hi there,

True that salaries generally lower - I would be struggling to get 2/3 of what I earn here (but I'm working in London so probably not a fair comparison).

Be careful with your information on stamp duty for property purchases - I believe the rate for this is set by the State rather than Federal government and so can vary widely - for example in Victoria it's $2560 plus 6 per cent of any value over $115,000. This calculator can help you work out the duty payable for a property of the same value in all the States and Territories:

http://www.iproperty.com.au/Content/Calc_StampDuty.aspx

Watch the Medicare Levy Surcharge - I believe everyone has to pay the flat 1.5%, but if you earn more than $50,000 then you have to get private health insurance or pay an additional 1% - see here:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/pub...ers-medlevy.htm

Also, the Government occasionally whacks on an extra levy/tax to pay for extra/unbudged expenses - for example, in 2000-01 they added an extra 0.5% levy for those earning $50K, 1% for those earning $100K to pay for operations in East Timor following independence.

The Australian version of council tax is 'rates' - the best thing about them is that they're only payable by the property owner - so if you rent you don't pay them at all. I try not to get too nostalgic about this when I hand over my yearly £1500 wedge to my local authority as a tenant.

AP

You should also note the tax bands were adjusted up in July reducing tax accross the board.

They will be adjusted up again next July.

I won't miss the British banger. I agree that maybe the aussie accents might be annoying but isn't any foreign accent after a while? Price of goods and cost of living will be lower but the bottom line is, What will your salary be over there for the same job? I look on jobsites but nobody seems to post salary info. Just says salary: 'neg' or 'excellent'. No point in saving on the cost of living but find you earn rubbish money there and are worse off than here. Thats my main concern.

What is your job?

Is this really true about Aus having the longest working hours per week of the western world and not much holiday? That would suck.

Hours depend on the job. There is a lot of self employment here which may affect the stats.

I work 40-45hrs, get paid by the hour.

Staff jobs would generally offer 4 weeks holiday with long service leave still common.

But there hardly isn't a day that goes by when I don't think that I hate what this country has become and think about getting out. Can anyone add to this list of stats or help me with the research? What about things like MOT tests, home/car insurance, school/uni fees, electricity/gas prices etc??

Most bills are cheaper here, including car insurance, school fees, we have no MOT in WA.

I wouldn't make a decision to migrate based on statistics or living costs, although salary is obviously important. Your heart needs to be in it.

Thanks very much for that useful info. I suppose that if you can find a job that pays more over there than here you are laughing. Worrying that the salaries do seem low. I am an electronics engineer employed in test/repair but cannot find many jobs online there!

One of things that I don't like about the UK is that the NHS with long waiting times and poor standards of treatment (in some cases) But even if you take out private cover, you still have to pay NI contributions which I think is unfair. But this is the case also in Australia with Medicare - theres no opt out which is kind of rubbish. I believe that waiting times can also be long with Medicare, is this true?

So ok, if I took out private insurance in Australia it would have to be more than $41 per month to start costing me more than the 1% surcharge would have done. Plus theres the 30% rebate on private healthcare. I presume this is in conjunction with everything else. This would help. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/pub...ked+Questions-3

I wouldn't make a decision to migrate based on statistics or living costs, although salary is obviously important. Your heart needs to be in it.

So you are saying I should migrate for a better life or quality of life rather than living costs. Surely living costs dictate the standard of living? Or is it more about a better lifestyle, nicer people, nicer weather, and none of the UK annoyances? (Blair, Chavs, Hoodies, Binge Drinking blah blah...)

Edited by Spoony

Thanks very much for that useful info. I suppose that if you can find a job that pays more over there than here you are laughing. Worrying that the salaries do seem low. I am an electronics engineer but cannot find many jobs online there!

One of things that I don't like about the UK is that the NHS with long waiting times and poor standards of treatment (in some cases) But even if you take out private cover, you still have to pay NI contributions which I think is unfair. But this is the case also in Australia with Medicare - theres no opt out which is kind of rubbish. I believe that waiting times can also be long with Medicare, is this true?

So ok, if I took out private insurance in Australia it would have to be more than $41 per month to start costing me more than the 1% surcharge would have done. Plus theres the 30% rebate on private healthcare. I presume this is in conjunction with everything else. This would help. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/pub...ked+Questions-3

I certainly earn more here than I could in the UK. Contract rates for engineers here are similar to London, but cost of living a lot lower. My home is the North East, where engineering jobs are thin on the ground and low paid.

There is a big demand for engineers at the moment in Mining or Oil/Gas work. If you are willing to be flexible you could do well here the moment.

Can't help with private health cover. I don't have it. Have managed with medicare for 20+ years, including having 2 kids.

mercsl

Have been looking at adelaide, off to live in the burbs.

Don't fancy city living don't like any cities in the uk i have always liked being out in the sticks (to a certain degree!) i am not going to live in the bush.

I have been checking out the hp's on ljhooker.com and realestate.aus and am looking in the region of300k aus dollars and there seems to be loads but i won't know until i get there these houses could be in the middle of a chav estate!

But when you look at what your money buys you there and what you get here there really is no comparison.

I've been looking at Adelaide -5-6 beds with a pool near the sea is about right interms of your stated price range. Lovely city to live, got loads of family there. No real chav estates like over here. Still is the cheapest place in OZ to buy, but a massive renovation program is due to start soon as well as the fact the Sydney residents are selling up with large profits and heading for the "cheap" property and quality of life in Adelaide.

Go for it mate.