House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked at a new Fiat Panda(new version) in February as a possible replacement this year . However i have not seen one on the Road;

is this normal or is the market flat,i live in central London so i see a lot of Cars!.

BS

Everywhere i look in London there's another new Fiat 500....

I'd say the car market was shakey, especially nearly new cars. I've been doing some research and the depreciation on French cars in the first year can be very high. My Renault Clio for example has lost 45% of it's value since first registration 12months ago, looks like I will be using the voluntary termination rule in 9months.

Edited by longtomsilver

Looked at a new Fiat Panda(new version) in February as a possible replacement this year . However i have not seen one on the Road;

is this normal or is the market flat,i live in central London so i see a lot of Cars!.

BS

My Panda is 6 years old now. New one seems a bit pricey, I think. Not that I'm buying yet - a few more years before I'll traipse around new car showrooms again.

I'm in the market for a new car. One thing I've noticed is that if you don't do many miles, gas guzzlers can often work out an absolute bargain.

Things like a Honda civic seem crazy overpriced, not just in the "nearly new" but also in the 3-4 year old range.

I'm tempted just to get a 3 or 4 year old lexus - £9k gets you 2.5l V6, automatic, Leather, full climate, etc. Insurance is a bit pricey, but I'm driving an old banger Hyundai at the moment and Fully comp insurance on a 3 yr old lexus would be less than 3PFT on my old scrap heap.

By contrast, something like a Honda civic, is a similar price, and has bugger all residual value - although the fuel costs and insurance would be a slightly less.

Renault are about to introduce a new brand to the UK with much lower target prices. Roumanian built I think. Base models very cheap and you can spec up, but even the top models looked very competitively priced. From memory I believe it is "Dacia", possibly due 2013?

That is a pretty good indicator of the state of the general market. Premium vehicles still in demand though?

I'm in the market for a new car. One thing I've noticed is that if you don't do many miles, gas guzzlers can often work out an absolute bargain.

Things like a Honda civic seem crazy overpriced, not just in the "nearly new" but also in the 3-4 year old range.

I'm tempted just to get a 3 or 4 year old lexus - £9k gets you 2.5l V6, automatic, Leather, full climate, etc. Insurance is a bit pricey, but I'm driving an old banger Hyundai at the moment and Fully comp insurance on a 3 yr old lexus would be less than 3PFT on my old scrap heap.

By contrast, something like a Honda civic, is a similar price, and has bugger all residual value - although the fuel costs and insurance would be a slightly less.

If you are going to get a big ticket runaround going for the most reliable might be the sensible option, it is in this niche that the staggering repair costs sometimes lie.

I started work for carcraft 6 weeks ago (quit yesterday to find a better job)

The car market is screwed, never had so few customers looking to buy a car, and currently 78% of people who attempt to get finance are declined by the finance companies.

That's the reason I left as it's impossible to make commission when theres 70% less customers coming in than this time last year and near enough 80% of them fail finance anyway.

The experienced guys have never seen anything like it they said.

You sure you don't want a new Audi A1 - I had a look £16K+ eek.

I've priced those up on the web as well; came up with over £20k.'cos (i) I like autos and (ii) it's hard not to add extras!

Pre-Panda, I used have big Mercs so I'm not averse to a bit of luxury; just don't need the size of the big 'uns these days.

OTOH, maybe I'll go back to my preferred car status: not owning one at all.

Renault are about to introduce a new brand to the UK with much lower target prices. Roumanian built I think. Base models very cheap and you can spec up, but even the top models looked very competitively priced. From memory I believe it is "Dacia", possibly due 2013?

That is a pretty good indicator of the state of the general market. Premium vehicles still in demand though?

Yes.. either as cheap as possible or high end luxury.

The car market is screwed, never had so few customers looking to buy a car, and currently 78% of people who attempt to get finance are declined by the finance companies.

That's the reason I left as it's impossible to make commission when theres 70% less customers coming in than this time last year and near enough 80% of them fail finance anyway.

Read an article this morning from the trade talking about the hardest second hand pricing since the recession began - probably only because the cost of new has shot up. Very similar to the housing market then - crippling transaction levels. Petrol went up a penny again at the local garage between this morning and returnign this afternoon.

That is quite some fall in customer numbers!

Bigger stuff (engine wise) are falling fast - not surprising given fuel costs.

Anything with decent go and higher fuel and insurance (Golf R32's, Focus STs) are not pretty depreciation wise. Same with the Imprezas etc

That said this does offer up great deals to be had on nearly new cars. Buying new is not a good option with such big falls over the first couple of years.

Finance is a get. Used my savings in the end to get my current car - could only get to 9.7% so using my savings at 7.5%.

Strange that the Uber expensive end of the market is doing so well!!! Damn 1%'ers!

I've priced those up on the web as well; came up with over £20k.'cos (i) I like autos and (ii) it's hard not to add extras!

Pre-Panda, I used have big Mercs so I'm not averse to a bit of luxury; just don't need the size of the big 'uns these days.

OTOH, maybe I'll go back to my preferred car status: not owning one at all.

Had to drive an A1 TDI for a few months and as much as it was nice inside (when decently spec'd) i couldn't help think why would you spend that on a new car at that size and so underwhelmingly enjoyable to drive...£20k+ total insanity....it drove me to 3litre twin turbo straight six relapse.

I was looking to buy a used Lexus in December, you get a hell of a lot for around 10k. I'll probably put this off now, as I know I can get another year out of my existing car, if I save 2k by doing this, That will come off next year's bargain. Roads are emptier than last year, so I'm speculating on a better mileage low price deal.