House Price Crash Forum

Putting Your Own Stamp On It....

Grew up with bloody untidy hoarders, my parents, which is why I hate stuff even a couple of plant plots at the front on the block paving. And inside if the girlfriend tries to bring in ornaments I also despair.

My mum is a hoarder. You have to take care when opening overhead cupboards in case something attacks you.

Probably for the same reason as you I don't "do" ornaments.

One of my mates came round once when I lived there, looked around, and said "I don't know how you live like this" :)

My mum is a hoarder. You have to take care when opening overhead cupboards in case something attacks you.

One of my mates came round once when I lived there, looked around, and said "I don't know how you live like this" :)

My mum bequeathed some of her ornaments to me. Haven't the heart to dispose so still in boxes. I even have some of my grandma's "brass" which was shared out after her death.

Edited by Socially Housed

It's definitely a generational thing, and cluttering and over consumption of stuff seems to be a problem afflicting seventy somethings most particularly (my parents generation). Presumably they value this stuff because it used to cost real money not churned out in China for the pound shop or available at the local charity shop.

But in the OP example we have a 350K house which will probably achieve 50K shy of its potential and probably for good reason. No doubt once the clutter is removed the damage done to suffocating a house will be clear with mildew on walls etc. and a complete redecoration may become apparent. Surely a house is to live in not to use as a storage vessel. Crikey 350k is an expensive storage vessel, when we are talking the storage of tat with an auction value of less than a £100.

Edit. I realise this is a bit provocative and I realise some people like to live busy. As I say if you have been brought up with hoarders and seen friends and relatives that have gotten into a mess filling their homes to the rafters (far worse than the OP example) so you can be a bit biased.

Edited by crashmonitor

This has got to be a wind up, I mean look at the price for an ex council semi in Liverpool. I consider it positive proof that Liverpool still has a crack problem.

It's not actually an ex council semi, it's an inter-war semi. Have a look at Streetview.

The last price for the road was £139,000 in February 2011. The highest price ever was £249,950 in November 2008. But you have to take into account the loft conversion and the fact that it's done out so nicely. :D

Long live British eccentricity and individualism.

I would guess that the seller is an elderly single woman.

I'd rather live next to someone like that than next to a chav with 3 pit bulls.

The house looks sound and has an attic conversion. The decor will put a lot of buyers off, thus helping the eventual buyer negotiate a bargain. The only risk is that the current owner is under the impression that they have 'added value' with their kitsch.

Skip hire: £39.99 for a weekend. No problem.

Exactly. Anyone looking to buy should love houses like this. So many idiots are put off by superficialities.

You could call it the twigs factor in reverse.

The only risk is that the current owner is under the impression that they have 'added value' with their kitsch.

I know my mother has that delusion. And it's very deeply rooted ("I know what it's worth because I know what we've spent on it...")

The reality is that whoever buys her's will have to have several rooms totally gutted and replastered. And there's easily a skipful of rubble that will need stripping out from the back yard.

Her latest scheme is to stick an adjoining arch between the lounge and the dining room. In one corner, because the stairs are in the way for anything that would make it feel open plan. All it means is a reduction in usable space.

My guess is that the vendor of a house like this would think you bonkers for expecting a discount, and lacking in taste for wanting to take out the stuff they "so tastefully" put in for you.

• 1 year later...

Interesting logic from a 'financial journalist':

This house in Crosby, near Liverpool, boats [sic] six bedrooms and is in an attractive and popular part of Merseyside. However, after 13 months on the market, the price has been cut dramatically from £350,000 to £300,000.

And sadly it's all-too obvious why.

There's nothing wrong with the price. Properties sold in the area in the last two months include a 7-bedroom home which fetched £499,999 and a four-bedroom property which fetched £400,000. This is one of the cheapest properties in the area with this much space, so there should have been some interest at the higher price.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/11/19/the-house-that-just-wont-sell-why/

Interesting logic from a 'financial journalist':

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/11/19/the-house-that-just-wont-sell-why/

The problem with the prices quoted in the article is that 'the area' that they describe could cover anywhere in L22 or L23, which could mean £150,000 for a place in Waterloo up to a few million for a place in Blundellsands, so it isn't a good comparison as we know.

The road itself, Forefield Lane, also covers a good range of styles and sizes:

http://houseprices.landregistry.gov.uk/sold-prices/Forefield%2BLane%2BL23?SortBy=4

Bearing in mind that the top price ever paid in the road was £310,000 for a detached, I think there are some large ones at one end, I'd say it definitely IS the price.

• 1 year later...