House Price Crash Forum

Putting Your Own Stamp On It....

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest TheBlueCat

The first thing that I thought was that this is what Mr Trebus' house would look like if he was middle class!

I think you're right that the owners of this one have some kind of OCD. Joking aside, that is not the house of a well person.

HOLA445

Looks like a house that should have been a caravan, no offence, do as you likey :rolleyes:

Edit. ffs it's 350k in Liverpool!!

Edited by Ungeared

HOLA446

Long live British eccentricity and individualism.

I would guess that the seller is an elderly single woman.

I'd rather live next to someone like that than next to a chav with 3 pit bulls.

The house looks sound and has an attic conversion. The decor will put a lot of buyers off, thus helping the eventual buyer negotiate a bargain. The only risk is that the current owner is under the impression that they have 'added value' with their kitsch.

Skip hire: £39.99 for a weekend. No problem.

HOLA447

Back in the early 90's when I thought briefly that I might buy a house, I viewed a Wimpy construction on a Wimpy cul de sac.

The EA had said nothing about what lay the other side of the front door.

Anyone remember Mr Ben ?

Inside it had been taken back to a 16thC cottage. All internal doors had been lowered so you had to stoop though them, The ceilings had also been lowered and had massive false beams, the walls had all been very heavily textured. The lighting was dim, and in the lounge was a large inglenook fire place which required a false wall to give it depth, etc.

I toured in silent awe. The EA never said a word.

I drive by this house every day and wonder if going though the door is still a time warp.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

My old school is down that road. They made us (boys) wear shorts in the winter and yelled at us if we only pretended to sing in assembly.

I remember walking down that road if the park was flooded, it was narrow and weird. Thinking back now I knew it was inhabited by deviants.

HOLA4411

My old school is down that road. They made us (boys) wear shorts in the winter and yelled at us if we only pretended to sing in assembly.

I remember walking down that road if the park was flooded, it was narrow and weird. Thinking back now I knew it was inhabited by deviants.

I never went to Forefield myself but did go to Chesterfield up the road. I think this place is just down from the shops at the end.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

So you missed the bottom of the market then.

I suppose the question for you is will you miss the bottom of the next one?

In the 90s I was in and out of the country with work swapping the UK for the US on a 6 monthly basis. I occasionally, looked at properties when in the UK because owning was the 'right thing to do'.

In hindsight, I am very glad I didn't buy a property, I was too young to do so. Also, had I bought at the bottom I doubt I would have STR'd my 'home' in 2007, and so I wouldn't have benefited in any financial way from HPI. Instead, I would have been trapped by home ownership, much like many people are trapped by their accumulated possessions.

I think that not owning a home has been very liberating, although you can never tell how the alternative path would have looked.

Certainly, renting seems to have worked well for me financially.

On the flipside, HPI has ruined the country economically, paralysing the UK and affecting its people, and influencing the progress of my work here compared to abroad.

Now, twenty years later, I would buy something very small in the location I want to live out my days if the price becomes sensible, just to have free accommodation for retirement while maintaining enough capital for living. It will be a straightforward, unemotional, cost-benefit analysis. Anyway, retirement is a few years off, if I ever do retire.

The present plan is to get all my work onto the internet, I'm getting there, and then to quit the UK in two years time and travel for a bit, while keeping the work going.

Alternatively, if the UK continues down the road to misery I may travel for longer I am currently exploring this, which seems interesting. I have friends doing workaway and it is working for them. They have now been traveling in a landrover for a year and they have never been out of either work or 'free' accommodation.

I think the bottom will be about 2017-ish and, if I miss it, I'll rent happily forever.

Edited by LiveinHope

• 1 month later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The back yard looks like a garden centre unless, of course, they are selling the stuff as a business.

Grew up with bloody untidy hoarders, my parents, which is why I hate stuff even a couple of plant plots at the front on the block paving. And inside if the girlfriend tries to bring in ornaments I also despair.

Definitely the home of a boomer circa 70 years old, only they could want so much stuff.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4417

Give them some credit for taste, at least they have restricted their Downton Abbey aspirations to a couple of over sized urns on the front. No self respecting chav would have stopped there.... the obligatory Venus statue and the giant stone lions are essentials if you want the complete chav look.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425