House Price Crash Forum
CrashedOutAndBurned

Buy Granny A Flat And Nick Her House!

Another article that fails to mention if prices hadn't gone bananas since 1999, this young professional couple would have had no problems.

I doubt they're a professional couple, with a joint income of £40,000 per year in London. Starting salaries for most professional jobs (doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, actuaries, etc.) are well above £20,000. They may be planning to be professional, but not yet qualified.

Well, graduates then. They look more mid twenties than early and 15-18k IS a typical graduate starting salary in 'Company X' in London - read the press. Even if you do see that 18k job you're 110% capable of doing, with a glut of applicants you might be one of 200-400 applicants. Our company had over 400 applications for 10 dull-sounding graduate entry level jobs for 17.5k.

It's only the Creme De La Creme/very lucky that land something over 20k straight away in the real world.

I know this board seems to think 30k is a bog standard salary and 100k is nothing special, but it just ain't the case.

Either way, seems that the grandparents had a better quality of life all things considered with nothing more than a traditional trade to get by on, 'Get me some of that fresh milk, Granny - you can have the electrowidget I'm bored of'

better still, hang out at bingo and chat up a musty granny, then move in a new pad with her as your new 'older' more sophisticated girlfriend.....

careful of that hip on wedding night though.....best to wear a truss.

It's only the Creme De La Creme/very lucky that land something over 20k straight away in the real world.

Professionals don't land something over 20K straight away, if by "straight away" you mean "after graduation". It takes years of post-graduate training to become a professional.

average salary to average wage is not realy the ebst thing to use to get a clue of affordability.

starting salary to starter home is more appropiate, this will give you the affordability for the under 30s.Its also a good argument against the bulls that come out with the young are just lazy or dont try hard enough.

After all most of us have to start down the lower rungs of wages and housing.

once you use starter homes to starting salaries it just shows how even more un-affordable it is at the lower end.The bill argument that some people just expect everything easy just dont wash for the young of today, infact i would go as far to say the young now work a lot harder under more pressure to achieve more than the older generations there are not many jobs for life anymore.

im sure someone can come up with a wages to house price ratio for starter homes and starter wages ie first 5 years of working say.i bet the figures are truly shocking