House Price Crash Forum

September 2012 Stock Picking Competition; 3Rd-28Th.

200p

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Day 9

HPC+Sept2012+Comp+Week2Day9.PNG

Just a heads up, I'll be out on Friday evening, so the update will be much later - probably after 11pm or the next morning.

I spoke to some German tourists today. Out of interest, I asked do you back Angela Merkel, and they go "ja,ja". Then I asked if they want the Euro, or go back to the DM, and they said "no way we are going back to the Deutches Mark". The German man then asked do you want to join the Euro? I said, no way, we are keeping the Pound.

---

There's a bit of excitement with Sirus minerals [LSE:SXX] that I have been watching (don't hold). There was a little article in this weeks Daily Mail in the canteen. I wonder if the Daily Mail "effect" has a positive effect on stocks more so than the Independent recommendations. The aggro-minerals miner is at 19.25p

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

HPC+Sept2012+Comp+Week2Day10.PNG

We reach the half way point, the miners have really powered ahead. Well done to pl1 who managed to time the reversal/pivot point perfectly. Giraffe had a slow start but is comfortably 2nd now. I look at these two charts and the clue was that crescendo of volume (particularly IRON, less so AQP) that had been building, that marked the bottom, although it is not a reliable method to call it.

We had no smack down in stocks on Friday in the end.

I was still in "defensive" or "risk off" in August. Being 3% up on a midcap stock, in two weeks, I can't grumble. September could really prove to be the time to be long, they call it "dart board stock picking." Feel the power of QE3 or Don't fight the Fed as they say.

The S&P500 my global equity indicator and the DOW have made a clear new 2 year high this week. This is quite bullish, or it is low risk to be bullish because you can have a stop just beneath here as the previous resistance level becomes a support level. The trick is to look left on the S&p500 chart - Nearly everyone in the market will be just in profit now and will be likely to hold on for more.

Edited by MrTReturns

HOLA447

Aim for 30% Compound Annual Growth Rate

Power of Compound Interest!

Did you know $500 contributed yearly compounded at 25% for 27 yrs = over $1 million !

29% for 37 yrs. – George Soros

21% for 40 yrs. – Warren Buffett

29% for 18 yrs. – Eddie Lampert

29% for 18 yrs. – Peter Lynch

24% for 13 yrs. – Jim Cramer

15% for 20 yrs. – Benjamin Graham

—-

The best minds in the world can’t beat a 30% annual return consistently – If you can make 30% a year, every year, you are one of the top investors in the world.

Crispin Odey made a 69% annualized return in one year during the crash of 2008 by short selling banks, but that is exceptional. If only big moves happen in the markets every year, the wealth transfers would be greater for the professional traders.

HOLA448

This has caught my eye BAE Systems at 347p. Huge volume!

---

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll stick it here for the record.

Can Google predict the market?

15th September 2012

Earlier Fu posted that if you Google-image-search of "shares worthless", you get JJB Sports as a result.

If you do the same with "shares cheap" you get Halfords and BAE Systems. I don't hold them but out of interest they are at 259p and 347p respectfully.

I didn't get anything with "shares that will make you rich", unfortunately.

===

Do your own research.

Edited by MrTReturns

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4415