House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big_Head

Give Me Strengthm - Its Hard Waiting

I am trying to wait before I buy. But every now and then, usually promted by the other half we start a house hunting mission. Gladly I usually see sense before going to far.

I have been putting it off for about 3 years now but I don't know for how much longer.

I don't know (personally) any bears, you would think there would be somebody in my circle who think prices will drop, it makes all the harder to hang on.

Hurry up house price crash!! before I go mad!

I am trying to wait before I buy. But every now and then, usually promted by the other half we start a house hunting mission. Gladly I usually see sense before going to far.

Big_Head, just read this thread and see how you can justify putting your purchase off to the other half. :)

With the exception of the Female Property bears on this site, why is it so damn hard to convince our other halves that now is an awful time to buy?

I've just spent the morning looking on Right Move, it sickens me that people can dare to ask £200,000 for an awful two bed terrace in Watford.

It sickens me enough to make me go play xbox, something I get mild enjoyment from which makes me disappear in to a world where the Sellers of Houses currently live - that world is one of Fantasy.

Yes every instinct tells me to wait - and its good to read posts here to enforce that.

When I recently discovered how big a mortgage I could get also made me think. It was massive compared to what I think I could sensibly afford, no wonder there are people who get sucked in and buy. I could imagine they think if 'credible' institutions will lend them so much it must be OK to borrow it.

Edited by Big_Head

Guest prudence

I have been putting it off for about 3 years now but I don't know for how much longer.

I don't know (personally) any bears, you would think there would be somebody in my circle who think prices will drop, it makes all the harder to hang on.

If you can't wait, buy. Just stop bleating about something you can do nothing about

With the exception of the Female Property bears on this site, why is it so damn hard to convince our other halves that now is an awful time to buy?

I've just spent the morning looking on Right Move, it sickens me that people can dare to ask £200,000 for an awful two bed terrace in Watford.

I have a young daughter and my wife admits to getting, every now and then the desire to 'nest' - I get it too but I try to be less impulsive. I tell her it has to all correct itself otherwise my daughter will have no chance when she is older.

If you can't wait, buy. Just stop bleating about something you can do nothing about

It was more a figure of speech - I should try to be exact in my terminolgy. But OK I take your point I'm off to the EA....

Big head

Your life will not suddenly 'change' when you buy a house. you will not suddenly find yourself on a higher level.

You will just spend more free time at B&Q or with a paintbrush in your hand.

The whole point of buying a house is to reduce debt in later life IMO.

DEBT is the enemy, not the landlord. Especially so as we are heading into a recession.

Buy a house today and you will take on a massive debt secured on an asset likely to fall in value in the coming years. A recipie for NE and an excuse for genuinely 'going mad' if you get made redundant.

Buy a house in a few years from now and your debt will be less scary as you will have had time to save up more deposit and the potential horrors of NE should be avoided if you buy during the dip in prices.

Hang on, why is it not a good time to buy? It`s better than at any time in the past 18 months and it`s only gonna get better for FTBs. How do you know that there isn`t a vendor out there that will give you 10-15% discount right now, have you tried? I`m seeing `ickle bargains sprouting up in my area. A couple of doer uppers no one seems interested in, agent tells me that the BTL brigade are "maxed out" and builders have too much stock that they can`t get rid of! Rates will inevitably go up, Banks/BS are suggesting that low rate fixed deals are disappearing. So get out there and do something positive, put an ad in your local paper for 20 quid stating that you want a house now, not in a chain, agreed mortgage, looking for a property in the range of X...... How do you know that vendors wont come to you? However, if you are waiting for property values to sink back to 1995 levels it ain`t gonna happen IMHO.

i have an alternative theory on that.

i think our ladybears on here ARE the other halves and come here for moral support. their respective fellas are fully subscribed HPC believers who may or may not be aware of this site.

whatever, they have put their arguments to their ladies and are trying to hold the line resolutely. without the support of the views from this site i think most of the ladybears would fold and eventually grind their partners down.

i have an alternative theory on that.

i think our ladybears on here ARE the other halves and come here for moral support. their respective fellas are fully subscribed HPC believers who may or may not be aware of this site.

whatever, they have put their arguments to their ladies and are trying to hold the line resolutely. without the support of the views from this site i think most of the ladybears would fold and eventually grind their partners down.

And what about ladybears who

don't have partners, o wise one?

:blink:

then those lady bears might prefer other ladybears.

Yeah, yea,

Or they might just (god forbid!)

have a mind of their own, be happy

in their own company, and not

be brainswashed into thinking

you only have any validity if you are propped

up by a partner.

:angry:

I know many of you give people advice to hold on, but tell me from a bull's point of view...if the person bought a house NOW, they'd be repaying their monthly's on very low interest rates. But if they bought 3-5yrs later, surely the IR's would have almost doubled, even though house prices may have dropped drastically by then. This surely would still keep the monthly's really high, right? Any calculations and examples would be appreciated. Thanks

Converted Lurker.

Please don't rope me in with the BTL brigade :(

Even property owners are unable to move up the ladder, as the rungs are too far apart.

Yeah, yea,

Or they might just (god forbid!)

have a mind of their own, be happy

in their own company, and not

be brainswashed into thinking

you only have any validity if you are propped

up by a partner.

well when you see a decent woman wasted knowing she could be happy in a relationship with a husband to cook for and some kids to bring up as nature ntended. the ones which live alone are either cobwebby fridges or big lezza tupence lickers.

a woman needs a man for protection and well being.

i cant see why you would want to give up on your dream so easily.?

have you tried dressing dangerously or at least making an effort. its charming that you engage in this debate with us men, but deep inside do you not feel like somethings missing ?

well when you see a decent woman wasted knowing she could be happy in a relationship with a husband to cook for and some kids to bring up as nature ntended. the ones which live alone are either cobwebby fridges or big lezza tupence lickers.

have you tried dressing dangerously or at least making an effort. its charming that you engage in this debate with us men, but deep inside do you not feel like somethings missing ?

OUTRAGIOUS POST !!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Losing Faith

Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule but I am a Ladybear trying to persuade my other half that renting is the new buying.

The problem is, he wants us to buy a place with a huge room for his junk / hifi / computer / x-box / plasma. Anyway, the only argument I can use currently is that the longer we wait, the bigger and better-located the new place will be.

I think the problem is that most people in the UK don't understand that the storys in the media predicting continuing rises come from VI's. It is only when you start looking beyond the headlines that you can understand that the current situation is a bubble, unsupported by any change in the fundamentals of the housing market.

I don't really think it is a gender issue here as HPCers find themselves in a minority.

I know many of you give people advice to hold on, but tell me from a bull's point of view...if the person bought a house NOW, they'd be repaying their monthly's on very low interest rates. But if they bought 3-5yrs later, surely the IR's would have almost doubled, even though house prices may have dropped drastically by then. This surely would still keep the monthly's really high, right? Any calculations and examples would be appreciated. Thanks

I'd rather have a smaller debt with higher rates than the other way around.

Don't forget, you only pay interest on the balance of the loan.

If you overpay your 'smaller' repayment loan then the debt will shrink faster and the effect of the higher rates will slowly diminish. Overpaying a larger debt has less effect, despite the lower rates because the balance is BIG wrt the overpayments.

You may well pay off the loan quicker despite the higher rates and despite waiting 5 years to start.

You also avoid serious debt during uncertain times. The next few years could be very tough...

Brave man :lol:

Though she does highlight the independance a singleton has, completly free to make thier own decissions whether they be right or wrong, free to do what they want when they want.

The freedom of the single life cannot be beaten. B)

yes. thanks chuz.

its about time we men stood up to the likes of these feminst do gooders with their issues regarding race, creed or gender. i say bring britishness back. and dont spare the rod.

for we work today and eat jam tomorrow.

those winging tarts have never had it so good.

modern appliences cut the work a woman has to do half.

instead of using the other free time to perfect ironing or tend to the children, they put up their feet. binge drink and sit back watching ITVs Loose Women all day. its scandalous.

and as for that busty snorter kerry mcfadden on the ICELAND ads.

"mums shop at iceland" - mums ?

mums would be at home bringing up baby, not galavanting all over the shop hoovering up copious amounts of coco preservative and partying with rock stars, footballers and soap actors.

angry,

manchester.

Buy a 3 bed semi today at £200K interest rate of 5%: Monthly payment = £1182.54 per month

Wait 4/5 years and let's say that the property crash didn't happen. Average property only falls by 15% (3% per year for 5 years) before going up again.

Interest rates now at 9%.

Same property as above costs £170000: Monthly payment = £1442.25 per month.

Poor bugger next door bought in 2005 and is paying £1696.77 per month.

That's with a soft landing!

If there's a crash it would be much worse...

yes. thanks chuz.

its about time we men stood up to the likes of these feminst do gooders with their issues regarding race, creed or gender. i say bring britishness back. and dont spare the rod.

for we work today and eat jam tomorrow.

those winging tarts have never had it so good.

modern appliences cut the work a woman has to do half.

instead of using the other free time to perfect ironing or tend to the children, they put up their feet. binge drink and sit back watching ITVs Loose Women all day. its scandalous.

and as for that busty snorter kerry mcfadden on the ICELAND ads.

"mums shop at iceland" - mums ?

mums would be at home bringing up baby, not galavanting all over the shop hoovering up copious amounts of coco preservative and partying with rock stars, footballers and soap actors.

angry,

manchester.

Angry - I thought this would amuse you!

WI goes into battle for the 'local' shop!

(20/10/2005)

Members of the Women's Institute are being urged to avoid out-of-town superstores to keep town and village shops open.

The women are being asked to adopt a "shop locally" policy instead of using supermarkets.

So,

U-turns on the way we shop.

U-turns on regaining classrooms from pupils.

U-turns on the way kids are taught.

U-turns on . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

We'll be back to the 'old' ways before you know it!