House Price Crash Forum

IT for me too (is there a pattern here?).

Made redundant in 2007.

Landed a new job the following week with 30% more money. Since then steady inflationary payrises and regular bonuses.

Job security looking good. Company is not very big (<100 people) and are recruiting 1/2 doz people per year.

No signs of it coming to an end, in fact we've got work stacked up for the next few years.

Another 4-5 years of this and my house is paid off.

Edited by the stig
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted on a different thread:

So far this month personally I know:

1) An acquaintance has probably made redundant at Avon Cosmetics...by some other accounts they have been busy in the redundancy stakes.

2) A mate who works for a large Japanese company is making major cut backs and his group are all losing their jobs. (IT)

3) A friend of a friend that runs a printing firm about to make redundancies.

4) I'm loosing my position and have been given notice. (IT)

5) A friend at a 2nd Japanese company has been made redundant. (IT)

I've never seen this happen before....I was worried before...now I am scared

How is everyone else's job prospects look at present ?

Is number 4 you personally losing a full time job or a quote from someone you know?

It's not Fujitsu but I've been asked not to say who it is as it's not been made public.

Most of the big Japanese companies are cutting back big time though....the tsunami has put them over the edge.

It's true i have been watching the Japanese trade figures.No trade surplus since April 2011.Alot of the manufacturing must have switched to China , Taiwan , Malaysia and Thailand.

My wife is losing her job at the DVLA. Her entire office is closing. Weirdly, they've been given 17 months notice. Her chances of landing another public sector job seems slim. My IT job is safe for as long as our company survives. There's an assumption amongst most of my colleagues that the economy will pick up in a couple of years. I really fear a Japanese style decade of zero growth.

Being over forty and working in IT isn't the most relaxing place to be. But I don't know what else I can do.

Is this in Swansea or in one of the regional DVLA offices? Either way, I am really sorry to hear your news.

Is this in Swansea or in one of the regional DVLA offices? Either way, I am really sorry to hear your news.

Northampton. The DVLA is closing all its regional offices and forcing everyone to use the web for all their car related administration. They're saving millions by sacking all staff and replacing them with a new IT system. Almost certainly managed by Fujitsu in Swansea. What could possibly go wrong?

She's been offered the chance to relocate to Swansea, but it looks like the chances of me landing a new IT job there is pretty slim.

Northampton. The DVLA is closing all its regional offices and forcing everyone to use the web for all their car related administration. They're saving millions by sacking all staff and replacing them with a new IT system. Almost certainly managed by Fujitsu in Swansea. What could possibly go wrong?

She's been offered the chance to relocate to Swansea, but it looks like the chances of me landing a new IT job there is pretty slim.

You would have to try for Fujitsu - who pay well but they do stuff which I loathe - or for Logica 25 miles up the road in Bridgend... but they pay peanuts... and was the most stressful place I ever contracted at. At the time they paid me very well but, with hindsight, I should have walked from day one.

Edit:

I hear nothing but bad things about the mentality and culture at the DVLA. Best avoided.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

My wife is losing her job at the DVLA. Her entire office is closing. Weirdly, they've been given 17 months notice. Her chances of landing another public sector job seems slim. My IT job is safe for as long as our company survives. There's an assumption amongst most of my colleagues that the economy will pick up in a couple of years. I really fear a Japanese style decade of zero growth.

Being over forty and working in IT isn't the most relaxing place to be. But I don't know what else I can do.

Pablopaitio, sorry to hear about your wives job. How does that affect your view of house buying ?

Sorry to hear that.

Is this your big chance though? You have posted properties abroad, so could you escape now or do you have shackles?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm looking at is a positive, trying to get a position with a Singapore based company at the mo, failing that I am looking at France again.

Me personally.

Sorry to hear that Count. I enjoy your posts and would hate you to become suddenly feckless, chav dolescum overnight (in HPC eyes). I mean that genuinely by the way.

Hanging on in self employment, though everything is suffering at the moment. Preparing for a pre-Christmas push. Amazon is bearing up well from a commissions point of view, even though the commission rates are crap, probably a lot better than importing/stocking stuff myself.

I know very few you have reasonable job security - usually teachers or accountants (used to include a couple of lawyers there, but those days long gone). It's why I don't get (1) capitalism (2) the housing market.

(1) What's the point of capitalism (state capitalism / call it what you will) if it fails to provide job security (or affordable housing) (2) What's the point of getting a mortgage if you need to change jobs every couple of years, with the risk of a period of unemployment each time / the need to move.

I started running my own businesses after I stepped back and saw the working world for what it was. I didn't want to be a wandering labourer forced to move on because of the latest government / company whim, sorry, restructure / buy-out / whatever... Crazy times.

Edited by gruffydd

I work in IT (none of us appear to do anything but post one here!) in the NW of England.

Over the last 7 years shares in the company have collapsed and there were alot of redundancies across all depts not just IT.

However, things seem to be picking up, the company is performing better and my job appears to be secure for the next few years at least.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm looking at is a positive, trying to get a position with a Singapore based company at the mo, failing that I am looking at France again.

Must admit I was thinking of France because I knew you had mentioned there before. Sterling is up 20% v the Euro since Jan 2009 and prices are dropping over there with what looks like desperation setting in.

Though what happens if the Euro falls apart? Better DYOR :lol:

Sorry to hear that Count. I enjoy your posts and would hate you to become suddenly feckless, chav dolescum overnight (in HPC eyes). I mean that genuinely by the way.

Hanging on in self employment, though everything is suffering at the moment. Preparing for a pre-Christmas push. Amazon is bearing up well from a commissions point of view, even though the commission rates are crap, probably a lot better than importing/stocking stuff myself.

Cheers, thanks for the vote of confidence. I migtht take up posting on the net professionally :lol:

Maybe I could get into BTL :rolleyes:

Certainly judging by 80% of posts here there is not much confidence about.

Must admit I was thinking of France because I knew you had mentioned there before. Sterling is up 20% v the Euro since Jan 2009 and prices are dropping over there with what looks like desperation setting in.

I enjoyed working in Paris and would happily head back there. Lots of high tech jobs around Paris too.

Short term contract in France for a year would probably be just the ticket. Holland is a good bet too, plus everyone speaks English.

As I posted on a different thread:

So far this month personally I know:

1) An acquaintance has probably made redundant at Avon Cosmetics...by some other accounts they have been busy in the redundancy stakes.

2) A mate who works for a large Japanese company is making major cut backs and his group are all losing their jobs. (IT)

3) A friend of a friend that runs a printing firm about to make redundancies.

4) I'm loosing my position and have been given notice. (IT)

5) A friend at a 2nd Japanese company has been made redundant. (IT)

I've never seen this happen before....I was worried before...now I am scared

How is everyone else's job prospects look at present ?

Was made redundant in May along with other 4 guys, all pretty senior in IT, all four found another job with a similar package within two month. I got 10% increase and a way better company. In my area thing are quite buoyant at the moment. :rolleyes:

There is an over represetation of IT bods being made redders. Is that because more IT people frequent this fine place or because IT is in the ..uhm...brown hole? Or maybe both.

I'm asking as I am toying with the idea of moving into IT related "project management" in my company, initiative delivery sort of things (new systems etc etc in this behemoth of a company).

Might just be a bad career move. Just checking, k thx!

There is an over represetation of IT bods being made redders. Is that because more IT people frequent this fine place or because IT is in the ..uhm...brown hole? Or maybe both.

I'm asking as I am toying with the idea of moving into IT related "project management" in my company, initiative delivery sort of things (new systems etc etc in this behemoth of a company).

Might just be a bad career move. Just checking, k thx!

I think that sounds a good move to be honest. I have one foot in IT and one in Business and I refuse to take any purely IT roles as, frankly, they are all the stress and responsibility whilst the Business side has no stress and no responsibility.

I got made redundant from my job as senior creative artworker in an advertising agency at the beginning of July, after a 7 year stint. I survived 2 previous rounds of redundancies prior to that in the same place. I'm freelancing now and it's not looking too shabby, worked in a couple of places and a load from home too. I'm filling in the gaps in design/artwork with painting & decorating which I did years ago, which paid at an hourly rate of £15 p/h is handy, particularly as the first job I landed is pretty big and at the house next door but one.

I got made redundant from my job as senior creative artworker in an advertising agency at the beginning of July, after a 7 year stint. I survived 2 previous rounds of redundancies prior to that in the same place.

I have to say it is horrible sitting in an office that is going through this sort of thing, i've never experienced it before but it's very odd...the bods I worked with have gone through all sorts of emptions, denial, anger, fear, back to denial.