House Price Crash Forum

Hayfield

Spiritinthesky

HOLA441
HOLA442

Can't tell you much about Hayfield, but it's very close to New Mills, where the Swizzels Matlow factory is. Not sure if you can smell it in Hayfield, but the smell in New Mills when they are making sweets is AMAZING. The whole place smells of refreshers or those hard powdery lollies they do.

HOLA443

Anyone know much about Hayfield in the Peak District? We're moving with work and have been to the village a couple of times to have a look and get the feel. Lovely place, proper 'old' village feel to it. Seen some nice houses.

Had a friend of mine who moved to Chinley outskirts many years ago, just down the road from Hayfield.

I'll state the obvious here: Have you visited during the Winter time? Have you tried the daily commute to your new workplace - especially at peak traffic times (and especially in the Winter)?

That friend of mine got sick of it all within two years and moved away. I visited him many times in the Summer and it was fantastic, but that's a very different picture from the daily grind, which for him turned out to be a bit of a nightmare (although admittedly his company did move further away within a year of him moving there.) And the Winter commute? Drove him nuts. His wife also hated the place, as she found it all a bit lonely.

Not trying to be negative here. Just trying to make sure you haven't fallen for the lifestyle portrayed on "A Place in the Country." :)

HOLA444

Can't tell you much about Hayfield, but it's very close to New Mills, where the Swizzels Matlow factory is. Not sure if you can smell it in Hayfield, but the smell in New Mills when they are making sweets is AMAZING. The whole place smells of refreshers or those hard powdery lollies they do.

OMG. I want to go there now.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I live in Chapel en-le-frith which is only 5 minutes away by car. The area is lovely, the locals are friendly, the train link into Manchester is ok and there are some great pubs but... I have the luxury of working from home 3 days per week. On the two days I have to travel, I avoid the A6 into Manchester between 7.30-10am and then again late afternoon. The main road from Hayfield into Glossop is fine but about 25% of the time I get stuck behind a truck/tractor doing 25mph in a 50 zone.

We moved to Chapel in January this year and haven't really experienced a hard winter yet but I believe that Buxton is the area where you can get snowed in.

The barn conversion is nice but way over priced in my opinion. For 65k less you can have an extra six acres with this property My link

Personally, I'm renting and will do for a while longer as house prices still haven't normalised. I don't know your family situation but this rental property in Marple Bridge is 1450pcm and I believe falls within the catchment area for Ludworth primary school (rated outstanding). Marple bridge itself is nice and relatively close to the motorway.

My link

HOLA4410