House Price Crash Forum

Tfh Couple Sell Up And Buy Yacht

HOLA441

Of course one should never believe anything written in a newspaper, but first stop being London smacks of hoping to be on the Beeb, rather than any sort of passage planning. Then emerging from the French canals into the Med in the spring isn't going to happen. Many French canals shut for Winter. I give them a week. The boat is not big enough to store a liferaft on, so at least they will make the headlines one way or another.

To be fair, if i lived in Bristol......

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

...there is a nice looking yacht (from the outside picture at least) going for £1500 at the moment that doesn't look like it needs much work....

:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

Getting a boat for free or cheap is easy.

Keeping any boat seaworthy, no matter how expensive and new, is not.

HOLA443

True, but if you are practical you can make a big dent into most of the jobs.

If I were unattached I think I'd be abroad now, would have bought an apartment/small place and a boat. Live on the boat and sail during the holiday season, whilst renting out the place for holiday lets - would work quite well financially in the right locations. In fact you could do skippered charter with the boat and double up ion income during the period. Non peak season would be for other activites.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA444
HOLA445

Well, the one that I was looking at had had work done on it and was listed as seaworthy already (though it did say it needed a bit more work in other areas - can't quite remember I only quickly skimmed the advert).

If I was ever about to buy a boat I'd have a lot of stuff to learn before I'd even bid. I know very little about boats, but one thing I do know is people who own them have a habit of saying "A boat is a hole in the water that you throw your money into", so I know it's not all plain sailing if you'll excuse the pun.

But then I bet its more fun than living in a little brick box, looking out over the same row after row of other little brick boxes, day in day out, and working your life away just so you can stay in your own little brick box. (not 'you' personally - but most of us).

Edited by RandomFactor

HOLA446

Here's another thing that puzzles me about this crash versus the last.

In the October 1987 hurricane I had a boat that went down on her moorings. By the time the insurance paid out we'd had the '87 stock market crash and the first hints of the '89-'95 house price crash. Such was the extent of the intervening bloodbath in the boat market that the insurance payout bought me a much, much better boat for the same money (for the nautically minded I went from a Corribee to a Vancouver 27).

However, since the 2007 crash boat prices really haven't moved all that much. Everyone moans (especially sellers and yacht brokers) but if you actually look at the prices there is hardly any difference.

I can't understand why, because the amount of MEWing I saw in the years leading up to 2007 would make your head spin. The guy moored next to me at the marina was proud that he'd remortgaged ten times in eight years. I'd have thought all those over extended boaters would have been wiped out and boats would now be selling for a song. Maybe next year?

HOLA447

I did the same journey in 2010; left Plymouth in March, arrived in Athens in September. I learned to sail the year before; 5 day practical course, 8 evenings theory.

We (family of four; the 2 kids were both under 3) lived on a daily budget of 50 Euros for food, moorings, fuel, etc.

Met loads of interesting people but sadly none of them taught us how to put shoes on horses. I did learn that the Italians have the most hypocritical approach to marine preservation however (no anchoring within 250 metres of shore yet the sewage pipe doesn't even stretch that far).

Anyone can do it, it just depends on whether you want to or not.

Edited by Paddles

HOLA448
HOLA449

I say good luck to them. Even if we don't experience a complete melt down, it'll be an adventure they can look back on fondly for the rest of their lives (assuming they survive the sea crossings anyway), and I'm guessing a book or documentary about their adventure might do well in the event things do recover.

It reminded me of this blog I've been reading recently:

http://www.stevew.net/blog/index.php?node=-1

Same sort of motivation/concern about peak oil. A bit more low key approach though.

I found it quite inspiring to see how he was picking up skills as he went.

A browse around the web shows that such places in Hungary are as cheap as chips.

HOLA4410

@Paddles - v impressed. Mrs JTB vetoed aspirations for sailing gap years en famille - and our sprogs are a bit older than yours were.

Cheers. PM me and I'll convince you that you'll have to do it.

You're a long time dead you know.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Hi all

I'm Sam one of the intrepid /daft/ foolhardy sailors.

Thanks for all the positive comments. To the person who said 'they belong here' it's true, I have been lurking around these forums for a while now..

To the person who suggested that going through the canals indicated a lack of passage planning: What would your recommended route be for two inexperienced sailors in a small boat? Around Cornwall and then across Biscay?

I will be doing some web development work from the boat that will earn us a small income (and a bit for the taxman hpc.pete) but one of the reasons for doing this is to see how much we can strip away from our lives and still remain happy. We will be trying to live on a budget of £100 a week. (safety notwithstanding, extra fuel for a passage, marina in a storm etc etc)

RandomFactor, thanks for your comments and this link http://www.stevew.net/blog/index.php?node=-1

I love the 'heading for the eye of the storm' comment.

Collapse now before the rush!

HOLA4413

Hi all

Thanks for all the positive comments. To the person who said 'they belong here' it's true, I have been lurking around these forums for a while now..

To the person who suggested that going through the canals indicated a lack of passage planning: What would your recommended route be for two inexperienced sailors in a small boat? Around Cornwall and then across Biscay?

I will be doing some web development work from the boat that will earn us a small income (and a bit for the taxman hpc.pete) but one of the reasons for doing this is to see how much we can strip away from our lives and still remain happy. We will be trying to live on a budget of £100 a week. (safety notwithstanding, extra fuel for a passage, marina in a storm etc etc)

RandomFactor, thanks for your comments and this link http://www.stevew.net/blog/index.php?node=-1

I have the utmost respect for you. Particularly given the rant I posted earlier this afternoon on the forum. :D

Good luck and well done for having the guts to opt-out.

HOLA4414

As someone who lives on Orkney (and is partially here for TFH reasons, and also partially as I work in the wave and tidal energy industry) errrr we speak English up here. With an accent admittedly.

I would counter the view that it might be the best place if TSHTF though as - we're at the end of a verrrrrrry long supply chain - even today an Amazon order will take 5 days+ to reach here, a Tesco Direct order will cost you £50 delivery and the local shops are shite - we travel south at least every couple of months to get stuff we just can't find up here (and not daft stuff either, sometimes really simple things that are pretty essential) furthermore much of our healthcare is dependent on incoming professionals flying up on a monthly basis. In a cash strapped NHS that is going to happen less and less. Also energy wise - we use more energy (bar Shetland) than anywhere else in the UK and our growing season is pish. Great local beef though (we grow grass well!)

Don't get me wrong we love it up here - the community is great, house prices are super cheap (we could easily buy on one income) but it's too isolated for us and with a baby on the way - we miss family.

We're relocating to the central belt (semi rural) as at present we feel that being this far out on a limb could be disadvantageous - especially during a slow crash.

interesting

I wonder how long could you live on an atkins diet .....?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Hi all

Hey Sam, best of luck. You'll have a great time.

Lessons from our trip;

- don't bother with the Burgundy Canal, way too many locks

- be prepared for unexpected long days on the Rhone, like when you discover that the safe mooring at Arles doesn't exist contrary to the navicarte

- there's a much cheaper crane (for re-stepping the mast) on the opposite side of the bay at Port St Louis

- get the hell out of French med waters as soon as you're a sailing boat again, way too expensive for everything you need

- budget a lot for fuel and be competent at maintaining your engine as there's very little useful wind in the summer

- be anchored for the weekend already by Friday morning to miss the mad frenzy, especially in Italy

- the southern coast of Italy should be cleared in as shorter time as possible, dull and little shelter

- make use of the "free" marinas in Italy and Greece, built with EU grants that will never be repaid

- if you need to, you can tie up alongside Italian fishing wharfs but you'll need to stand firm when you do so

- have plenty of provisions and water when you arrive at Erikoussa as it is a quiet paradise and you'll want to stay longer

Have a great trip! What's the address of your blog?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Hi all

How come the story about your trip ended up in the Daily Mail?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

So plenty more than 90% of the world's population.

Nahh the median world income is much higher: $350 per week... you only have to worry if your in the bottom 30% and earning less than $1 per day... above 50% your ok, and above 90% you will be in the top percentile in your country and living very well (because income disparity is much much bigger in the developing world).... If your in the top 10% in the developing world you are bound to be living it up with a gardener, a pool boy a large house, a couple of cars and kids at private schools (but you will also envy people in the developed world)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-17512040

Edited by AteMoose

HOLA4422

Good for them....most people would not have the guts or inclination to do it, I am sure if sensible they have worked the finances out carefully.....one thing planing an adventure, quite another jumping head first into at the deep end. ;)

I've done it as well here is my proof

275784_100001487733387_3468690_n.jpg

did 2 years south of France, Corsica, Sardinia, Spain and balearic islands on a Contest 29.

Did Biscay and Canal Du Midi on the way down, rhone ,soane, canals, Seine into Paris, Honfleur, home.

Was talking to my misses about it, we reckon 2 days getting the $hit kicked out of you on a 22ft boat in the middle of a storm will either toughen you up or you will be straight back home sans boat.

Good luck trip of a life time, not many people get the chance to take thier boat to Paris.

HOLA4423

Was talking to my misses about it, we reckon 2 days getting the $hit kicked out of you on a 22ft boat in the middle of a storm will either toughen you up or you will be straight back home sans boat.

Indeed; any weather forecast with the words "nord ouest" means "run and hide behind a lot of land for a week".

HOLA4424

Indeed; any weather forecast with the words "nord ouest" means "run and hide behind a lot of land for a week".

Yeah we where hove to for 24hrs between Barcelona and Port Soller in Mallorca. Never been so scared in all my life. The boat got a reall kicking 15- 20 ft swell in the middle of the night, white roaring horses racing past the boat, then boom and the boat drops down the side of a cliff into the trench, boat rolls and up you pop up again. All the cuboards in the boat pop open. tins of food swilling around in a foot of sea water. all your beding completely soaked, Cant sleep, cant pee got all your wet weather gear on, cant eat. Spent 2 weeks in Soller too scared to go out.

cloud formation very long thin wispy cirus clouds, cigar shaped, mistral is comming. Also need to check low weather systems in the atlantic, Wind gets funneled between Pyreenes and masif central straitgh out the gulf of lion and accross the med.

if the op needs some good sailing and liveaboard advice I always point people to here http://www.ybw.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

edit my sailings better than my spelling :)

Edited by buytoilet

HOLA4425

Spent 2 weeks in Soller too scared to go out.

Had one not quite as bad in the 70 mile crossing between the ball of the foot and the heel of Italy. The forecast proved inaccurate at exactly the halfway point. Nothing else to do but carry on and cry a lot at that point.

My biggest lesson learned was, regardless of how crap the current place is or how nice the next destination promises to be, don't leave if you have one percent doubt in the wind forecast and sea state.

Sounds obvious but when you're anchored next to an Italian beach disco playing the Birdy Song at 3am and the next stop is a beautiful island with only 3 inhabitants, you can make some bad judgement calls.

Edited by Paddles