House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Are We Too Right?

As the Telegraph article says, nobody has ever got rich predicting the end of the world...but there is always a first time...

It is fascinating to watch the ebb and flow of sentiment. I have never doubted a HPC but have doubted the timing and pace. This past week seems to have moved sentiment back in the direction of trouble with the rise in repo figures and the case for rising global IRs leading the charge.

In my opinion this pincer movement of cause and effect news is just what is needed for the full-on crash to proceed so this week may have been pretty important.

You may just be right that we are right, Durch...

Edited by Starcrossed

It's no surprise is it?

We've had the same VI mantra for the last 4 years, "interest rates are low, employment is high, it's different this time".

Yeah, it's different this time, the general public are more fecking stupid and subjugated than ever before.

It's no surprise is it?

We've had the same VI mantra for the last 4 years, "interest rates are low, employment is high, it's different this time".

Yeah, it's different this time, the general public are more fecking stupid and subjugated than ever before.

Oh, come on, how can you say we are all subjugated? We are talking about the UK here aren't we?

In the UK we live in a free market economy, dom.

Save 'subjugated' for describing people in more unpleasant parts of the World.

(However, I agree with you that the general public are generally hopeless at managing their finances)

Oh, come on, how can you say we are all subjugated? We are talking about the UK here aren't we?

(However, I agree with you that the general public are generally hopeless at managing their finances)

The 'free' in 'free market' sounds nice but it just means that people are free to exploit us. Also, all the time we spend defending ourselves from economic hardship is time not spent considering our political freedom. They've got us by the balls.

well like many people here, i aint buying, life is to short to live like a pauper to own a house you leave to yer kids.

All these people buying now are selling there future to have a roof over there head.There a lot of young people that will be old before they can enjoy life.I want my own house but i want a life too.

The 'free' in 'free market' sounds nice but it just means that people are free to exploit us. Also, all the time we spend defending ourselves from economic hardship is time not spent considering our political freedom. They've got us by the balls.

Oh dear.

Defending yourself from economic hardship is the same as earning a living. What's so tough about that?

What do you expect from this country?

Oh dear.

Defending yourself from economic hardship is the same as earning a living. What's so tough about that?

Earning your own living is fine. The defense is in figuring out how not to be exploited by the older generation who think they deserve a free lunch from you just cos they arrived on the planet first.

What do you expect from this country?

I'd be pretty stupid to expect anything besides f* all. I'm just hoping to minimise the extent that I get ripped off by it.

Earning your own living is fine. The defense is in figuring out how not to be exploited by the older generation who think they deserve a free lunch from you just cos they arrived on the planet first.

I'd be pretty stupid to expect anything besides f* all. I'm just hoping to minimise the extent that I get ripped off by it.

The older generation you are referring to would be the baby boomers, right?

They were born in the 1940s and 1950s. Many are still working today.

During their working life they paid for the pensions of the generation above. They paid for your education,, the NHS, the police, the roads etc. They have paid for all this through taxation for the last 40 years.

Most are STILL paying for the current crop of kids in school today. (and the NHS, roads, etc)

Why do YOU feel exploited? You have probably contributed sod all so far.

Most of what you see around you has been provided for you by older generations.

Show some more respect.

During their working life they paid for the pensions of the generation above. They paid for your education,, the NHS, the police, the roads etc. They have paid for all this through taxation for the last 40 years.

Most are STILL paying for the current crop of kids in school today. (and the NHS, roads, etc)

Why do YOU feel exploited? You have probably contributed sod all so far.

Most of what you see around you has been provided for you by older generations.

Show some more respect.

So what happened to the BILLIONS in Oil/gas revenue over the last 35odd years?

It basically was used to "bribe the electorate", squandered on war and payed off loans for the "borrowings" of 'that' generation!

It would not surprise me if it was the income off north sea oil/gas that was used to support the huge unsustainable increases of the pension equity rises of that generation too!

So what happened to the BILLIONS in Oil/gas revenue over the last 35odd years?

It basically was used to "bribe the electorate", squandered on war and payed off loans for the "borrowings" of 'that' generation!

It would not surprise me if it was the income off north sea oil/gas that was used to support the huge unsustainable increases of the pension equity rises of that generation too!

I would imagine the revenue went into the coffers and got spent in which ever way the govt felt was best. That applies to all govts over the last 35 years. Govts that were elected in a democracy.

Your interpretation of where the money went sounds like bitter and blinkered speculation to me.

The boomers had to work hard and pay taxes for 40 years and so will you.

If you don't like the way the govts of the last 35years ran this country then I suggest you emigrate.

My generation (I'm 52) isn't exploiting yours. Don't forget that it's your generation that's paying the high prices for houses - just say no, what's the matter with you?

I would imagine the revenue went into the coffers and got spent in which ever way the govt felt was best. That applies to all govts over the last 35 years. Govts that were elected in a democracy.

Your interpretation of where the money went sounds like bitter and blinkered speculation to me.

The boomers had to work hard and pay taxes for 40 years and so will you.

If you don't like the way the govts of the last 35years ran this country then I suggest you emigrate.

What sort of pathetic reposte is that?

I have nothing to be bitter or blinkered about!

But, from what I have read (and from experience living 'up north' as a kid) about Thatcher's (etc) destruction of the Northern/Midlands Communities, it was all funded from Oil/Gas revenues ie to support them all on the dole - with no other jobs to go to.

Thatchers promise "Northern regeneration/revitalisation".

That has lead to foreign companies being given zillions in taxpayers money and tax breaks to build electronics/TV's in Wales/Scotland etc but within 10years they shut everything down and moved elsewhere.

As we all know now, the vast majority of 'work' up North is working in state funded jobs.

At least steel workers, miners etc "produced" something!

hey - what do you mean 'at least'

what are we up here - work horses ?

'at least' those southern book readers work in 'archaeology'

phew - thank god for beardy education refugees have dug up some old broken crockery that even a generation 1800 years ago thought was worthless.

and it still is.....

how many pieces of old roman pots do you want to dig up ?

ive seen them already. now go get a proper job for oxford council doing the bins or something.

Edited by right_freds_dead

What sort of pathetic reposte is that?

I have nothing to be bitter or blinkered about!

But, from what I have read (and from experience living 'up north' as a kid) about Thatcher's (etc) destruction of the Northern/Midlands Communities, it was all funded from Oil/Gas revenues ie to support them all on the dole - with no other jobs to go to.

Thatchers promise "Northern regeneration/revitalisation".

That has lead to foreign companies being given zillions in taxpayers money and tax breaks to build electronics/TV's in Wales/Scotland etc but within 10years they shut everything down and moved elsewhere.

As we all know now, the vast majority of 'work' up North is working in state funded jobs.

If your arguments don't hold water, simply say 'pathetic' and then change the subject...

Why are we suddenly talking about North and South, Erranta?

Are you blaming the N/S divide on the baby boomers too?

Is it the fault of the baby boomers that we have a govt that likes to spend on public sector jobs?

I would guess that a lot of the younger generation voted for New Labour too. (I didn't)

I'd imagine that quite a few hardworking boomers were steel workers and miners BTW. A lot of them lived up North and in the Midlands too. (or did you think they only lived in the South?)

What have the boomers got to do to get your approval Erranta? Do you want them to roll over and die?

As I said in my previous post, you sound like you have a beef with govts not boomers. Either get into politics or get out of the country Erranta.

If your arguments don't hold water, simply say 'pathetic' and then change the subject...

Why are we suddenly talking about North and South, Erranta?

Are you blaming the N/S divide on the baby boomers too?

Is it the fault of the baby boomers that we have a govt that likes to spend on public sector jobs?

I would guess that a lot of the younger generation voted for New Labour too. (I didn't)

I'd imagine that quite a few hardworking boomers were steel workers and miners BTW. A lot of them lived up North and in the Midlands too. (or did you think they only lived in the South?)

What have the boomers got to do to get your approval Erranta? Do you want them to roll over and die?

As I said in my previous post, you sound like you have a beef with govts not boomers. Either get into politics or get out of the country Erranta.

Answer the original question

What happened to the Billions of pounds in Revenues from Oil and Gas from 1970 to the present and dont change the subject.

Why should I leave the country for asking that?

You say "Govts that were elected in a democracy"

Subjugate vb to bring under ones control.(Latin sub-under+jugum-yoke)

Yoke n a frame put over the necks of animals so they can be worked.

Forcing people to take on 25 or years of crippling debt or pay half their earnings in rent to provide a basic human requirement. Not to mention the added stress of employers taking advantage of this and using the fear of unemployment to pressurise their workforce even further, subjugated, sounds about right.

And don't bother saying it's not half their earnings, families I know do fork out that amount in rent and CT.

(maybe not the 40% of HPC bullshitters on £80K)

The average rent on a two bed house around me is £550 pcm+ bills. Average take home wage, £1000-£1200 pcm

Why should I leave the country for asking that?

You say "Govts that were elected in a democracy"

OK that bit was badly worded in my post. I'm not TELLING you to leave the UK, Erranta I 'm just suggesting you might be happier elsewhere. If you don't want to leave, then maybe you should get into politics and try and make a difference.

How revenue is spent is down to the govt of the time, not the baby boomer generation.

1970 was thirty-five years ago. Bigger than a generation yet you still want to pin things over the last 35years on a group of people born over a 20 year span.

If you feel oil/gas has been mismanaged then surely you should blame the govts of the 1970s not the 20 or thirty something boomers of the 1970s. All they did was get up every day and go to work (if they had a job to go to).

The govt of today is making a mess of some things IMO. How would you feel in 20 years' time if someone said it was all YOUR fault?

Subjugate vb to bring under ones control.(Latin sub-under+jugum-yoke)

Yoke n a frame put over the necks of animals so they can be worked.

Forcing people to take on 25 or years of crippling debt or pay half their earnings in rent to provide a basic human requirement. Not to mention the added stress of employers taking advantage of this and using the fear of unemployment to pressurise their workforce even further, subjugated, sounds about right.

And don't bother saying it's not half their earnings, families I know do fork out that amount in rent and CT.

(maybe not the 40% of HPC bullshitters on £80K)

The average rent on a two bed house around me is £550 pcm+ bills. Average take home wage, £1000-£1200 pcm

As I said before, there are far more people in this world who are genuinely subjugated who can only dream of living the UK lifestyle you outline above.

If you told them you even get a roof over your head and your bills paid if you sit on your @rse all day unemployed (courtesy of high rate taxpayers like me) then they would think you were insane...

As I said before, there are far more people in this world who are genuinely subjugated who can only dream of living the UK lifestyle you outline above.

If you told them you even get a roof over your head and your bills paid if you sit on your @rse all day unemployed (courtesy of high rate taxpayers like me) then they would think you were insane...

And they're mostly being subjugated by our government and other western powers. It's us who is enforcing crippling debt, imposing brutal regimes and dropping bombs on the poorest countries of the world. It's done because we need cheap resources and labour abroad, just like we need a slightly different class of willing workers and consumers over here. There's a difference in the extent of overt brutality that is permissible and the means of control that are used but it's all part of the same, connected system.

You're (we're) as subjugated as any poor sods in the third world. It's just a much more subtle subjugation. I know people that get up at 5.30, drive bloody miles to appointments, drive back to the office, work their nuts off, come home at 8.00 pm and, after a bit of food, head into the study to answer and send emails.

They do it because they have responsibilities. These include putting food on the table and a roof over their head. Generally this involves a massive mortgage and, because we live in a world now where you are on the scrapheap if you look for a job when you are aged over 40, a sense of almost panic that, if they ever lose their job, they will be up sh*t creek without a paddle.

I believe this sort of pressure - subjugation - recently put my younger brother in his box very prematurely.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Paid income tax and NI for the past 47 years and will no doubt be paying income tax till the rest of my days.

Paid Purchase tax @ 10% for 14 years.

Paid VAT from 8% to 17.5% for 32 years and will still pay for the rest of my days.

Paid Rates, Poll Tax, and Council Tax for 35 years and will still pay for the rest of my days.

Paid fuel duty on a grand scale for 46 years and will still pay a small share why I can still drive.

Paid all the other duties and taxes on vices the past 46 years.

<_<

Only if we leave our zips down. We are also free not to play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

Andrew McP

Bolleaux, to coin a phrase. All my life I have simply wanted a quarter of an acre of grass and the right to build myself a house on it. But there is a devious system in place to make sure this never happens. Why? Because if I had my house built and paid for and a bit of land to grow a few veg and keep a few chickens - I might not be prepared to be a wage slave.

It is so entrenched here - people don't even question it. What will you do when you leave school? Get a job. In America in the pioneer days men didn't want to take a job - every man expected to have his own place. Being offered a job in that halcyon era was considered an insult.

In our pox-ridden land, the land is still in the hands of an absurdly wealthy minority - and there is a very clever conspiracy afoot to make sure ordinary people have to live their lives in debt so they can provide labour for business owners.

And they're mostly being subjugated by our government and other western powers. It's us who is enforcing crippling debt, imposing brutal regimes and dropping bombs on the poorest countries of the world. It's done because we need cheap resources and labour abroad, just like we need a slightly different class of willing workers and consumers over here. There's a difference in the extent of overt brutality that is permissible and the means of control that are used but it's all part of the same, connected system.

Wow. That's going to open up the debate. But now I'm confused...

You previously said things like:

[what do you expect from this country?]

You are blaming the older generation and the country for 'ripping you off' yet you say that the country has been ripping off other countries for decades in order to promote our economy and improve the standard of living for our population.

So the older generations have been feathering the UK nest for you for decades and you're STILL not happy?

You can't have all the Western materialism that surrounds you today without someone (older) providing it for you and someone else picking up the 'bill' somewhere.

You're not the one who's being ripped off, you're the lucky beneficiary of all this.