House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
homeless

Cant Afford To Stop The Water Pouring In

As some will know from my previous posts here, i work in the building game.Last summer here fancy work kinda dried up, i know near everyone here in the building game and the overall consenses is this is the case.Some of the work i do however is essential work, the kind it dont matter what money you have its gotta be fixed.

Examples i give are leaking roofs, slates/ tiles missing,cast iron guttering hanging dowm ready to kill someone on the footpath ect ect.These are jobs that just have to be fixed no matter what.Or so i thought till this past week.I have 2 examples of here.

First woman phones up, her guttering is over flowing and the water running down the outside wall and into a hole in a rotting leaking lintle right into her living room by the plasma tv.

I go look at the job and this woman has been struggling with this problem by the looks of it for a couple months at least, andway i tell her will need to replace the guttering to the front of the property, and replace the downpipe of the same, also additionally replace a downpipe to an extention that is missing and additionally seal the problem at the lintel to stop water ingress.total cost 110 pounds only materials and labour ie a bargain.Well this woman aint got a pot to piss in and will have to continue having water pouring (and like a waterfall) into her living room when it rains.

Another woman calls up says her guttering is blocked and hence pouring over onto the street, i go take a look soon as i look up i see old cast iron gutting broke at the brackets and ready to collapse, i explain the water aint coming over becuase it needs cleaned out its becuase the thing has collapsed and needs replacing right away before it kills someone walking past.cost 100 pounds for materials labour. she said she will ned to save up some money for it as cant afford this.

Well dont get me wrong i get a regular supply of dimwits, halfwits, greedy, and desperate people needing essential work done.a lot of the jobs i do are not done to make the house look nice there done to keep it watertight and structurally sound, a nessesary evil much like needing a new car tyre or clutch.But never before have i witnessed so many small cheap very well priced jobs needing done right away not getting done at all.

These are just 2 examples of loads of things im seeing. People are absolutely skint, so skint they cant even afford to protect the very things that have made them so skint in the first place. Now i could understand if you needed a 5k job ie a new roof if the water was flying in and couldnt afford it but 100 pounds?.

And everyone is getting the same from all customers just now, i know gas fitters that just told me of customers just switching the gas off and getting an electric heater becuase they cant afford to service the boiler, i know plumbers telling me of the customer just asking them to turn the shut the valve off rather than get the repair fixed, i know of joiners telling of people propping up doorways with a bit of 4x3.

Everyone is talking of it, there is still money out there in new build and jobs in it, and sub contracting for developers that are finishing the last of there planning permissions off.But your average joe is now as poor as a church mouse.

As some will know from my previous posts here, i work in the building game.Last summer here fancy work kinda dried up, i know near everyone here in the building game and the overall consenses is this is the case.Some of the work i do however is essential work, the kind it dont matter what money you have its gotta be fixed.

Examples i give are leaking roofs, slates/ tiles missing,cast iron guttering hanging dowm ready to kill someone on the footpath ect ect.These are jobs that just have to be fixed no matter what.Or so i thought till this past week.I have 2 examples of here.

First woman phones up, her guttering is over flowing and the water running down the outside wall and into a hole in a rotting leaking lintle right into her living room by the plasma tv.

I go look at the job and this woman has been struggling with this problem by the looks of it for a couple months at least, andway i tell her will need to replace the guttering to the front of the property, and replace the downpipe of the same, also additionally replace a downpipe to an extention that is missing and additionally seal the problem at the lintel to stop water ingress.total cost 110 pounds only materials and labour ie a bargain.Well this woman aint got a pot to piss in and will have to continue having water pouring (and like a waterfall) into her living room when it rains.

Another woman calls up says her guttering is blocked and hence pouring over onto the street, i go take a look soon as i look up i see old cast iron gutting broke at the brackets and ready to collapse, i explain the water aint coming over becuase it needs cleaned out its becuase the thing has collapsed and needs replacing right away before it kills someone walking past.cost 100 pounds for materials labour. she said she will ned to save up some money for it as cant afford this.

Well dont get me wrong i get a regular supply of dimwits, halfwits, greedy, and desperate people needing essential work done.a lot of the jobs i do are not done to make the house look nice there done to keep it watertight and structurally sound, a nessesary evil much like needing a new car tyre or clutch.But never before have i witnessed so many small cheap very well priced jobs needing done right away not getting done at all.

These are just 2 examples of loads of things im seeing. People are absolutely skint, so skint they cant even afford to protect the very things that have made them so skint in the first place. Now i could understand if you needed a 5k job ie a new roof if the water was flying in and couldnt afford it but 100 pounds?.

And everyone is getting the same from all customers just now, i know gas fitters that just told me of customers just switching the gas off and getting an electric heater becuase they cant afford to service the boiler, i know plumbers telling me of the customer just asking them to turn the shut the valve off rather than get the repair fixed, i know of joiners telling of people propping up doorways with a bit of 4x3.

Everyone is talking of it, there is still money out there in new build and jobs in it, and sub contracting for developers that are finishing the last of there planning permissions off.But your average joe is now as poor as a church mouse.

Thanks - great info from the sharp end. It just shows that people forget that maintenance is all part of the cost of home ownership.

How many of these are landlords?

Edited by Casual Observer

Guest The Dude

A very illuminating post.....keep 'em coming. Forget statistics....anecdotal is 3 times more newsworthy.... :)

Never mind priorities are right, Plasma TV present in one example.

They can't be skint, living in this "stable economy" with low unemployment, "affordable" housing, blah, blah.

I was in the store of a major electrical wholesaler last week. These are the people who supply electricians with cables, switches, lights and so on.

Anyway, I was there for about an hour due to meeting someone with an interesting project that they were having some problems with. Having done something similar before, I offered some advice etc.

Anyway, the point is that during this hour there were only two other customers who came in. This was a weekday and the weather was fine. One was there when I arrived and looked to be an employee of a larger firm. They only bought literally a handfull of stuff. The other looked to be self employed and also only wanted a few items of the type normally required for maintenance rather than new construction or renovation. They were specifically seeking some obsolete parts to keep something going.

So it must be pretty quiet in the electrical business.

Never mind priorities are right, Plasma TV present in one example.

They can't be skint, living in this "stable economy" with low unemployment, "affordable" housing, blah, blah.

Plasma TV. I saw that too. This is just a classic of the Nanny mentality - if I let it get too bad someone else will fix it.

This is not about peoples basic housing needs it is about what happened in these peoples lives 10 or 20 years ago - a failure in Education, Parenting and the progressively insane focus that encourages individuals to define their Social Wants as needs (eg. "I NEED a plasma TV. Sometimes I get a bad reception on Channel 4" "get yourself a free view box" "but I NEED a plasma TV").

But ultimately if the person thinks the Plasma TV is a more urgent neccessity than the structural integrity of their house then so do I. They probably need some sense banged into them (this is where the outreach workers so badly disparaged on another string comes in) but ultimately its about their own priorities. If they haven't grown up its not my problem. So long as my taxes only pay for a guy to give them a hard time and I don't pay for someone elses repairs (I'll pay for their kids education but not their repairs), I don't mind.

(This doesn't apply to little old ladies by the way! - I'm quite happy for them to be helped in one way or another)

Just one question. Do a lot of these jobs look ex-Council?

Something else anecdotal -

I buy and sell odd bits on e-bay, small collectables, up to about £30 - I am finding there is much less competition for the items over the passed 6 months or so - my partner she buys clothes and again is often the only bidder-

It would suggest that things are tightening up?

Something else anecdotal -

I buy and sell odd bits on e-bay, small collectables, up to about £30 - I am finding there is much less competition for the items over the passed 6 months or so - my partner she buys clothes and again is often the only bidder-

It would suggest that things are tightening up?

Noticed this too. I often watch quality musical items - reasonable guitar amps, guitars, microphones, recording stuff. A year ago most good items would 'fly up in price' in the last hour in traditional ebay fashion making you think, 'But a new one is pretty much that price!'

On my watch lists - most of the items there just for casual curiosity or to price my own stuff - I'm seeing more and more decent bargain prices.

This means people trying to offload their stuff (some doubtless strapped for cash) are not able to get as much cash back as before. Second, with proper bargains back big time, the popularity of ebay could put pressure on online and offline shops. While someone might not buy a £400 guitar for £360 on ebay(might as well buy new), they'll probably go for a £400 guitar with 'light use' for £250.

Noticed this too. I often watch quality musical items - reasonable guitar amps, guitars, microphones, recording stuff. A year ago most good items would 'fly up in price' in the last hour in traditional ebay fashion making you think, 'But a new one is pretty much that price!'

On my watch lists - most of the items there just for casual curiosity or to price my own stuff - I'm seeing more and more decent bargain prices.

This means people trying to offload their stuff (some doubtless strapped for cash) are not able to get as much cash back as before. Second, with proper bargains back big time, the popularity of ebay could put pressure on online and offline shops. While someone might not buy a £400 guitar for £360 on ebay(might as well buy new), they'll probably go for a £400 guitar with 'light use' for £250.

I sell around 30-50 collectables a week on ebay & find business is quite good this month, though last month was bad. My items are ususlly 25-80 years old, so it may be a different story for newish items. I'm still not sure if the good value of ebay compared to high st. will increase business by taking business away from the high st. or if a slump generally will happen as people cut out such items that are not necessities.

Last month was bad (not terrible), but bear in mind last month had 2 5p listing days which fills ebay up with rubbish & a lot of big sellers don't list. Ebay have recently put their fees up 25 to 40% in most places, like shops fees, buy it nows, etc.

IMO, as its just before xmas, its no coincidence that ITV ran a doc last night on ebay scammers & theres all the publicity in papers /tv news about the East European Scammers , who were doing 2nd chance offers outside ebay via western union payments after getting seller details from ebay fraud sale

I see this as desperate attempt by high st VI's & their tv channels / media mates who depend on their advertising having a go at damaging the reputation of a big competitor that hands some power back to the little sellers & buyers.

Ebay & paypal have there faults, but they have rattled the big retailers & banks respectively, big time. Bless 'em

:)

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Sounds like you operate in one of Britains famed deprived neighbourhoods.

:(:(

Where are you?

Likewise. If in the North East I do need to get the guttering replaced just not had time to chase round for quotes.

Sounds like you operate in one of Britains famed deprived neighbourhoods.

:(:(

actually i work in lytham st annes

one of the richest neighbourhoods in the uk

I think he's in a retirement home spouting this stuff.

Roofers charge more than that for driving to the job!

its a good price, i aint a rip off merchant

i forgot to add im 35, and at they cheap prices can still clear 30k a year after tax and pay my labourer good wages.

not everyone doing building work is a rip off merchant ya dont need to be to make a decent living.

the 110 pound job is a 2 hours job with 70 pound profit

can fill in 4 of then every day:P

Edited by homeless

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Have the mods modified my signature, or has the Times re-used the webpage for a different article? It's good for a laugh anyway.

Definitely not TTRTR I would say the re-use of the web page is more likely.

I really should apologise, Time To Change My Colostomy Bag, but the link in your post was soooooo hysterically funny I had to change my inco pad.....

Keep quiet and say it was intentional and everyone will love you for your sense of humour for adding that link....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Isn't it incredible how, when you take away the interest free credit, people are skint.

I work as an accountant in a medium sized business. I have noticed how many staff ask to have their payroll details changed so the payments go to a relatives bank account. Also notable are the frequent occasions when I'm asked to cancel cheques for expense payments and write them out to to a different name. As Gordon Brown tells us, we have a strong economy ......

actually i work in lytham st annes

one of the richest neighbourhoods in the uk

its a good price, i aint a rip off merchant

i forgot to add im 35, and at they cheap prices can still clear 30k a year after tax and pay my labourer good wages.

not everyone doing building work is a rip off merchant ya dont need to be to make a decent living.

the 110 pound job is a 2 hours job with 70 pound profit

can fill in 4 of then every day:P

I had a tile off my roof just before last Christmas, water pouring in right by the wireless router :(

Picked a roofer from the Yellow Pages and he did the job for £70, that was about an hour's work for him and a young lad. So homeless's rates look believable to me. Next time I get a problem that roofer will get some repeat business.

****** :)

i couldn't be arsed to read all your post as the first was enough. given the job i'd say £110 is for nothing !

if she aint even got that much then why the hell did the woman bother calling you out in the first place ?

i reckon she wanted to find out from you what needed doing. then she could organise a friend / husband / partner to do it.

I think he's in a retirement home spouting this stuff.

Could be.

Ask nurse to check the office computer, TTRTR.

Could be.

Ask nurse to check the office computer, TTRTR.

or you could go ****** yourself instead

why is this forum being infested by trolls all of a sudden?