House Price Crash Forum

I think some of us are a bit confused about what it means exactly. It is defined by neuropsychologist M. Gelb as a "superlogic".The brain uses superlogic in order to consider it's vast databank (consisting of many billions of items gained through knowledge and experience). The brain calculates of trillion possibilities in order to arrive a mathematically precise estimate of probable success. The result is translated into a biological reaction called gut feeling.

So it is not a simple "feeling". It is based very much on data.

... a kind of collective unconscious as Jung would have put it.

My experience is it doesn't stand a chance of being heard when fear and greed are shouting ....

Gut instinct is where you think "this is gonna be really shit" when you have a dvd in your hand with a picture of Jean Claude van dam on the front :)

Under the present economic climate, to a BTLer, gut instinct equates to $hitting bricks.

I think that’s wrong – it’s the STR’s that are $hiting it! – I spend every day looking for price drops / bad news

All the BTL’ers who were worried have long sold up and are patiently waiting to buy again and the BTL’ers who haven’t sold are in the belief that house prices have just stalled and next year they will just start to go up by 20% ish YOY

Not all, well, not at least in my neck of the woods. Appreciate what you're saying nevertheless...

They had there chance anyway – it was up to them – it surprises me that they can still get out if they want to. Before the start of the crash I thought they would really be up $hit creek by now desperate to sell at any price – don’t let them say we didn’t give them enough time!

I think some of us are a bit confused about what it means exactly. It is defined by neuropsychologist M. Gelb as a "superlogic".The brain uses superlogic in order to consider it's vast databank (consisting of many billions of items gained through knowledge and experience). The brain calculates of trillion possibilities in order to arrive a mathematically precise estimate of probable success. The result is translated into a biological reaction called gut feeling.

So it is not a simple "feeling". It is based very much on data.

I am not too sure about gut instinct. You can learn to detect the signs of a potentially dodgy character by learning about body language or "red flags". But on the other hand your opinion of someone could be irrational and based on prejudice.

Probably a more interesting psychological concept to research is the state of being "in denial". Almost everyone is "in denial" about something or other.

Hey! Nelly got "S H 1 T" in his post - HOW?

I thought there were measures in place to stop such nasty offensive language from corrupting people like me!

Hey! Nelly got "S H 1 T" in his post - HOW?

I thought there were measures in place to stop such nasty offensive language from corrupting people like me!

I think we have now formed gut instincts about you

:D

Socrates had an interesting idea take; he thought that some how we would get compulsions not to do some certain things for noe reason but then the fullness of time would show that the compulsion saved us from some harm. He attribuited it to some gaurdian angel type stuff.

Great speculators have leaned to recognise this feeleing and have developed the trust to go the opposite way (if your being stopped for making a bad move then the opposite must be good!).

sp1