HOLA442
HOLA443

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed895122cfd81e98018a634df29ab075cb14f086.jpg

Cloonshecahill, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway

€259,000

Detached House|4 Bedrooms|5 Bathrooms

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=493717

Read it and weep bitchez :lol:

Housing in the UK is so overpriced and generally shitty.

but how accessible is the area?

Does it compare well with (e.g.)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29541583.html

where I won't have to worry about how I am going to pay for my (increasing) medical care

tim

HOLA444
HOLA445

but how accessible is the area?

Does it compare well with (e.g.)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29541583.html

where I won't have to worry about how I am going to pay for my (increasing) medical care

tim

The Irish property is 20 mins from the city center, that is why it is so expensive. Honestly you could buy a rural mansion for £250k.

The Dunfries house is nice, but still expensive since it really is isolated. and WTF?

48036_HSO1000052_IMG_03_0000_max_620x414.jpg

A cheaper and warmer option, only an hour from the city:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=663804

HOLA446

You could have your own live in carer/s....free board and lodgings. ;)

Finally! A reason for all that extra space. Live-in staff. Has that ever been tried before?

(That Scottish place must be close to being worth bagging btw at 250K, jeez!)

HOLA447

Finally! A reason for all that extra space. Live-in staff. Has that ever been tried before?

(That Scottish place must be close to being worth bagging btw at 250K, jeez!)

Not a bad pad for the money.....bit out in the back of beyond, a boat would be handy.

Live-in-staff.....very common in the past, maybe if it all adds up we will be going back more in that direction filling the empty spaces if family can't fill it. ;)

HOLA448

The Irish property is 20 mins from the city center, that is why it is so expensive. Honestly you could buy a rural mansion for £250k.

The Dunfries house is nice, but still expensive since it really is isolated. and WTF?

48036_HSO1000052_IMG_03_0000_max_620x414.jpg

A cheaper and warmer option, only an hour from the city:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=663804

It's not that isolated.

15 miles from Newton Stewart, which has everyting that you might need - a supermarket and a hospital :-)

HOLA449

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed895122cfd81e98018a634df29ab075cb14f086.jpg

Cloonshecahill, Kiltullagh, Co. Galway

€259,000

Detached House|4 Bedrooms|5 Bathrooms

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=493717

Read it and weep bitchez :lol:

Housing in the UK is so overpriced and generally shitty.

Attractive. Individual ?

What, like hundreds of thousands of other Irish houses, let's build a symmetrical house on the cheap, render it, stick a bit of stone on the front, throw a cheap conservatory on one side and a free standing double garage..... no doubt on some land that someone inherited from their mammy too. Has it got mains drainage and sewer connections ?

Don't get me wrong, I'd have that ahead of most of the carp in the UK - but, wages still need t plummet in Ireland - which will hurt prices even more, if anyone can actually sell, At the moment, wages are lunatic high (set no doubt by benefits levels, which are barmy - a result of politicians throwing commitment around in the 'good years').

And then you need to add the cost of healthcare and wonder whether a school in the armpit of nowhere gets your kids a good education.... and you need to find a decent paying job as well (and with the systemic rural anti-English racism (my family have mostly returned to rural Ireland after 60 years here and find they are routinely abused for being English....). Great.

HOLA4410

Yeah cos village schools have done really well over the last 13 years.

And village pubs open at the rate of 2 a week.

As for lovely village shops bursting with locally grown food - well they're popping up all over the place.

The noise of the countryside should never be underestimated.

There are plenty of very good small primary schools in the countryside villages in my county.

Why do you need 2 pubs to open in the village every week?

Who said anything about village shops?

Your intelligence should not be overestimated

HOLA4411

I've been whiling away the dog days of Singapore's summer on Rightmove. Addictive isn't it? (I dreamed of this site being available in the 90s - combined with Google maps/earth and Nethouseprices.)

I'm even starting to see relative value in quaint mill-houses in deepest Kent, old rectories in Essex and stone cottages wherever...

But hold on.

What on earth supports country house prices? Who buys these things at today's prices?

Tricky question. I guess it is difficult if it is not a commutable location.

We have just bought a house in a village with a population of 400 people in the north Lincolnshire wolds. We have 2.5 acres and a decent sized house for 188K. This was much cheaper than trying to find anything similar in the city across the river. The neighbours are nice and friendly, there is no noise pollution, there are loads of local footpaths through the wolds, there is a pub and a shop (The supermarkets will deliver the major weekly shop). The commute only takes five minutes longer than it used to as I no longer have to hack across town at rush hour.

What a breath of fresh air from claustrophobic city life (just my preference).

My stress levels have fallen after only 8 weeks there

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What's this place really worth?

35642_SALUTATIONFARMHOUSE_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg

Started off asking for GBP975,000, reduced 18% to GBP795,000 after 12 months:

Salutation Farmhouse Barnard Gate Witney Oxfordshire

Freehold, 12 miles from Oxford. 1.2 acre grounds 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, "farmhouse" kitchen and large conservatory plus 3 bedroom lodge and a triple garage block with office/studio space above. Both properties benefit from solar water heating systems. An expansive property offering numerous opportunities. (TOTAL FLOOR AREA: 5688 sq ft)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Freehold, 12 miles from Oxford. 1.2 acre grounds 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, "farmhouse" kitchen and large conservatory plus 3 bedroom lodge and a triple garage block with office/studio space above. Both properties benefit from solar water heating systems. An expansive property offering numerous opportunities. (TOTAL FLOOR AREA: 5688 sq ft)

Too much property, not enough land,

HOLA4418

Yes, people do tend to lose all sense of proportion when a couple of acres of Land are involved. I dont know why really, most of these country houses arent going to get planning for the land, so its not going to appreciate in value above other properties. They may as well buy an edge of town/village home backing onto farmland and make an offer to the farmer/landowner for a couple of acrea. Sign a clawback and he'll probably sell for its agricultural value, £5k or so. thats what i would do, given i have no desire to build on it. Just hold it to grow stuff on.

As it stands, a cottage in the midlands with 3 or 4 acres seems to go for about £500k, instead of under £200k for the house and plot only. An acre of land would otherwise sell for little more than £5k, if that. May as well buy an edge of village cottage, then buy a couple of acres backing onto it seperatly.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

As it's right on the A40, it's not worth a whole lot. The front door is 50 feet away from a road with motorway levels of traffic.

HOLA4423

As it's right on the A40, it's not worth a whole lot. The front door is 50 feet away from a road with motorway levels of traffic.

That's the most common downside if you see a cheaper rural place of good size/plot in a popular area. In areas I know well, a house of a certain size, edge of village with amenities and on a quiet/no through road might be 700k. The equivalent on a major A road requiring a drive to amenities will be a good 200k less.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

That's the most common downside if you see a cheaper rural place of good size/plot in a popular area. In areas I know well, a house of a certain size, edge of village with amenities and on a quiet/no through road might be 700k. The equivalent on a major A road requiring a drive to amenities will be a good 200k less.

Whoever spent all that cash doing up this house (new garage, new addition, new kitchen) in this location was seriously delusional. It's rather sad to see so much money simply wasted because no one is ever going to pay anywhere near the cost of it all.