House Price Crash Forum

Olympic Badminton Deliberate Losers

snowflux

HOLA441

Can't see a thread on this.

I'm not particularly interested in the Olympics, but I thought those badminton players who were disqualified for not trying to win their matches were treated rather unfairly. Surely the fault lies with the idiots who designed the competition in such a way that it made it advantageous to lose certain matches?

Not much fun for the audience either, I imagine. Maybe they should be compensated by those responsible for formulating the daft competition rules.

HOLA442

I'm not particularly interested in the Olympics, but I thought those badminton players who were disqualified for not trying to win their matches were treated rather unfairly. Surely the fault lies with the idiots who designed the competition in such a way that it made it advantageous to lose certain matches?

Not much fun for the audience either, I imagine. Maybe they should be compensated by those responsible for formulating the daft competition rules.

It was hilarious watching them take it in turns to serve it into the net

Best fun I have had this week

HOLA443

It's not cheating and I'm not even convinced that there's a sportsmanship issue. Should they be trying to win the match or win the competition? I'd say the latter and it was tactical play. I'm not entirely convinced by this view but I can't say that it doesn't have merit.

HOLA444

Agreed. Heard somewhere that this is the first time this competition structure has been used in the Badminton. Doubt whether it will be again !

You would have thought that given events such as these happening in the past the designers would have looked very carefully at these sorts of issues.

A shame for the sport and the spectators. Hopefully someone in the WBF will take responsibility and resign.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I wonder if any other badminton players have thought about walking out of the competition. Surely the value of the medals has been tarnished by the disqualification of these players, who are presumably world-class when they try?

HOLA448
HOLA449

+1

These people are driven to win, not to put on a show....

hardly in the Olympic spirit...the referees I mean...they swore to uphold the games and to judge according to the rules.

have these people broken any?

here is the Oath:

In the name of all the judges and officials, I promise that we shall officiate in these Olympic Games with complete impartiality, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them in the true spirit of sportsmanship.[1]

HOLA4410

I agree, the played the game they were given, and they did it well.

It was embarassing for the olympic committee and they made the players wear it instead.

The chinese woman who told them to stick it up their arses has it right and good on her. :)

HOLA4411

I agree, the played the game they were given, and they did it well.

It was embarassing for the olympic committee and they made the players wear it instead.

The chinese woman who told them to stick it up their arses has it right and good on her. :)

100% agree.... ******... must be time for my meds...

HOLA4412

Totally agree - p1ss poor competition design. No different to tactics within other events e.g. Cycling for me.

HOLA4413

I'm gonna agree with you too. This am we heard how rowing teams were aiming not to win their semis to gain an advantage in the finals. Inverdale quickly covered with "this is nothing like what we've seen in the badminton." Really? Oh right, yeah I can see why: in one instance we are talking racquets and shuttle cocks and in he other blades and a frikken big boat!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm gonna agree with you too. This am we heard how rowing teams were aiming not to win their semis to gain an advantage in the finals. Inverdale quickly covered with "this is nothing like what we've seen in the badminton." Really? Oh right, yeah I can see why: in one instance we are talking racquets and shuttle cocks and in he other blades and a frikken big boat!

What advantage would the boat crews gain apart from possibly a different draw ?

They still have to race all the other finalists over the same distance to win a medal.

Usually the poorest qualifiers get an outside draw which makes winning harder.

HOLA4416

Apparently the Chinese never play each other and go to great lengths to avoid doing so. The rules need changing but it doesn't excuse the behaviour.

http://www.businessinsider.com/badminton-teams-disqualified-olympics-video-2012-8

I think you've missed the point - only one of the four disqualified teams was Chinese - they were trying to lose deliberately because a stupidly organised competition meant that this was the best strategy for reaching the finals and, ultimately, winning a medal.

Frankly, I am astonished by the reaction of the MSM and their readers to this. Although almost everyone here seems to agree with my opinion that the players were made scapegoats for the failings of the organisers, whereas the press and the general public seems to have lapped it all up with barely a peep. I would be incandescent if I were one of those players! What on earth were they supposed to do in that situation?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

That is a disgrace if it's true.

Nothing about it on the BBC website, so I don't think it really happened.

I got this google link after hearing it on R4 this morning....then they interviewed someone about it....

and reuters

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cycling-crashed-purpose-says-victorious-briton-011932513--spt.html

HOLA4420

He lost balance and was all over the place if you watched it, but I think he made sure he went down. Which would have hurt! His first language is German so there may have been a bit lost in translation. If there is an incident in the first lap of a Sprint race, then the race is restarted. It's within the rules, and not the first time it's happened I bet.

The officials disqualified the Women's GB team for an infringement and then the world record holders China in the final so they've been quite strict.

HOLA4421

When interviewed he said:

"We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart, I just crashed. I did it on purpose to get a restart... it was all planned really."

then interviewed later changed the story to

"No. I just went out the gate and just lost control, just fell down."

I know English is not his first language but FFS......

Is there a clip somewhere so I can take a look?

He can kiss his banking career goodbye

HOLA4422

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=181172&st=223

HOLA4423

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/1982-world-cup-algeria''>http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/1982-world-cup-algeria' rel="external nofollow">

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/1982-world-cup-algeria

In the 1982 World Cup in Spain, Austria and West Germany shamefully conspired with one another, draping a blanket of controversy over the competition and leaving an indelible stain on the sport that will never be cleansed away.

Algeria, playing in its first World Cup, had pulled off one of the biggest upsets in the history of the tournament when it earned a 2-1 victory over West Germany in Gijon on June 16, 1982. The Africans looked a sure bet to go through to the next round from Group B.

Austria and the Germans faced off in the final match of the group in Gijon on June 17. Because FIFA did not require the final two games of the group stages to be played at the same time, Austria and West Germany knew that a 1-0 win for the Germans would be enough for both nations to advance to the next round at the expense of the upstart Algerians.

And so, the two neighbouring countries had their arrangement and stopped playing when the Germans went up 1-0 after 10 minutes.

From that point on, the game slowed to a crawl with neither team seriously venturing forward, instead killing time with a series of short passes inside their half of the field.

The Spanish spectators in the stands booed both countries unmercifully as they carried out the most despicable of sporting frauds, and Algeria protested the result to FIFA the next day, but soccer's world governing body turned a blind eye and let the injustice stand.

Both the Austrians and Germans denied they had made any sort of arrangement beforehand, but their act of collusion was as obvious as it was abhorrent, and it prompted FIFA to change the rules for subsequent tournaments so that the final two games in each group were played simultaneously.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

saw the interview - if def meant it. the other two couldn't even hide the smirks on their faces :-) if its within the rules then fair enough imo .

Agreed.

It's only the same as a long distance runner not going flat out from the off.

Game tactics.

Archived