House Price Crash Forum

Seriously, What Is It About Brighton?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like Weston Super Mare but with loads of crusties and a load of London luvvies milling about. Expensive yet only provides the same sub-£15k jobs as every other provincial dump.

Iwas in Weston this afternoon after the morning in Bristol.

Weston was bleak and empty. Like early November rather than 1st of August in terms of number of people. It really is getting quite scary.

Out of 130 people in my (London) office 3 live in Brighton and commute everyday. All high earners.

But do they bat for the other side though? :D

One of them told me he apparently lived in the gayest postcode in Britain. and then looked put out when I pointed out that as far as I know a postcode only actually cover 3 or 4 houses.

But, much like London, and perhaps this is just my take, it has a mildly oppressive feel to it all the time, as though you need to take a lot of care walking around at night and take surrepticious glances at people nearby to see if they might have a knife and keep one eye out on who is coming up behind you.

"

So what you're all saying is, one way or another, visit Brighton and you might get stabbed in the dark?

1343827922[/url]' post='909102931']

Depends whether they are partnered I guess, and effectively sharing expenses and dual income couples. Speaking as gay/bi man incidentally, but I suspect the so called "pink pound" may be a little overstated in its effects on places, even Brighton.

Brighton is a wierd one, but I also think its a prime example of the last decade of madness and a bell weather of what's to come in London.

12 years ago it was great to pop down for a weekend etc and you could get a good deal at the New Europe hotel and things were jolly. 2004ish, it got swamped with property developers, both gay and straight (my friends included) and all was sweet till 2008ish then every one bailed out. 2009 onwards the place is now drunk/drug/unsavoury immigrant/ magnet destination for all and sundry.

So, going back to the OP, let the imbeciles sell 2 up 2 downs to one another for £400+k, I couldn't care one jot. More fool them. There are far more better places to live in the UK than Brighton... I mean, there's Hastings and there's Eastbourne....

12 years ago it was great to pop down for a weekend etc and you could get a good deal at the New Europe hotel and things were jolly.

That would have been about the time when we went for the weekend and stayed there. That brings back memories.

Mostly of eating easter eggs and getting some of it on the bed, so it looked like there had been some sort of dirty protest, then not feeling very hungry after all that sugar so skipping dinner and going to a club - don't remember the name except that it was on the front on the edge of Kemp Town and a long thin "L" shape (I'm still talking about the club) - than afterwards, sitting in the bar of that hotel thinking what a good idea it would be to start on Vodka Martinis, like I was James Bond.

Except I wasn't, and the next day was spent mostly in the hotel room.

But as they say, a weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

I lived in Brighton in the 80s. Went to the Uni there, and stayed on a few years. Always been a bit expensive!

I wouldn't fancy that commute to London every day...

Hassocks, Preston Park and Brighton....

Definitely in the right area - thanks for the link, I'm having a virtual wander around now.

I distinctly remember that Burger King being in front of it but offset a bit, and some sort of circular lookout building. I have a feeling it was also just near the steps that lead down to the front which I think were the ones used in the recent Brighton Rock remake.Good times :)

The attractions of Brighton are pretty obvious - it's not just the nightlife, it's also the amount of cultural activities going on (such as the Brighton festival) - music, theatre, comedy etc.

Nowhere else in England - well perhaps Manchester - has such an amount going on in such a compact area. Plus, it's an hour from London, has one of the best climates in the UK, and has lots of beautiful areas with Regency and Georgian squares and houses.

I think some visitors fail to realise how many quiet pretty enclaves there are around Brighton & Hove, which are very different to the admittedly busy centre.

I also disagree that is not a place to bring up children. I wouldn't do it in the central areas admittedly but Hove is a brilliant place to bring up kids. I know from experience! (See Lewes as well, although admittedly more separate, and even more amazingly expensive).

Brighton's economy is much better than it used to be, and has held up much better than many places during the recession. Having said that, wages are quite low, but I think that is as much to do with the number of young people than anything else.

Its dirty, overcrowded, expensive, a crap place to bring up kids, employment is rubbish with average wages pretty low and its housing stock is fairly bad too- so WHY have house prices continued to defy the national picture. Rents are about 1300 for a 3 bed house per month too.

You have eloquently described pretty much the whole of England my friend! I trust you are looking to emigrate because, as far as England is concerned, the grass is NOT greener. B)

The attractions of Brighton are pretty obvious - it's not just the nightlife, it's also the amount of cultural activities going on (such as the Brighton festival) - music, theatre, comedy etc.

Nowhere else in England - well perhaps Manchester - has such an amount going on in such a compact area. Plus, it's an hour from London, has one of the best climates in the UK, and has lots of beautiful areas with Regency and Georgian squares and houses.

I think some visitors fail to realise how many quiet pretty enclaves there are around Brighton & Hove, which are very different to the admittedly busy centre.

I also disagree that is not a place to bring up children. I wouldn't do it in the central areas admittedly but Hove is a brilliant place to bring up kids. I know from experience! (See Lewes as well, although admittedly more separate, and even more amazingly expensive).

Brighton's economy is much better than it used to be, and has held up much better than many places during the recession. Having said that, wages are quite low, but I think that is as much to do with the number of young people than anything else.

Couldn't agree more. Many people's opinions of Brighton are informed by the tacky bit round the pier. Brilliant place to live and bring up children. So much better than the clone towns across most of the rest of SE England.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate my memory sometimes, riddled with stories of VI glory / stimulus winners.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1162413/Holidays-pay-1m-mortgage-This-Brighton-family-covering-huge-home-loan-letting-house-short-term-breaks.html

2009 Rightmove listing http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23531773.html

Hung on market, went off market, back on market, sold in either 2011 or 2013 into the 'save the victims' stimulus HPI policy reflation for.. .well I can't work out which one of these houses it is, side by side.. and one of them sold again above 2011 sale price, for another glorious HPC ('buyers don't know what they're doing') new peak price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=26819583&sale=50246453&country=england

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=40612697&sale=615892&country=england

Only reminded of it, because of this story today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2949242/Mother-returns-school-run-gaping-hole-extension-14-000-windows-stolen-fitters-row-payment.html

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11781975.Businesswoman_s_extension_windows__held_hostage__in_dispute_between_builders_and_suppliers/

• 1 year later...

Something I don't understand is the huge premium on georgian townhouses converted into flats.  I know they look nice, but they have terrible sound insulation, plumbing that wasn't intended for several washing machines and are often expensive to heat.  Nevertheless they sell for significantly more than purpose-built flats.