House Price Crash Forum

Seriously, What Is It About Brighton?

I have lived (and rented) in this bloody city of Brighton for 11 years (and will soon be leaving thankfully).

Friends of ours split up recently and are having to sell the house they live in - it was valued at approox £350k a year ago- estate agents have advised them to put it on the market for £450k as a house on the street apparently tried their luck at the end of 2011 and sold it for 100k more than the rest of the houses were going for - thus napparently ramping up the price of houses on that street.

Its a terrace, 3 beds, postage stamp garden BUT near a popular school (elm grove)

What is it about this city?

Its dirty, overcrowded, expensive, a crap place to bring up kids, employment is rubbish with average wages pretty low and its housing stock is fairly bad too- so WHY have house prices continued to defy the national picture. Rents are about 1300 for a 3 bed house per month too.

I have waited, hoped, prayed for the mother of all crashes here but nothing has happened. WHY? :angry:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1343826210[/url]' post='909102901']

I have lived (and rented) in this bloody city of Brighton for 11 years (and will soon be leaving thankfully).

Friends of ours split up recently and are having to sell the house they live in - it was valued at approox £350k a year ago- estate agents have advised them to put it on the market for £450k as a house on the street apparently tried their luck at the end of 2011 and sold it for 100k more than the rest of the houses were going for - thus napparently ramping up the price of houses on that street.

Its a terrace, 3 beds, postage stamp garden BUT near a popular school (elm grove)

What is it about this city?

Its dirty, overcrowded, expensive, a crap place to bring up kids, employment is rubbish with average wages pretty low and its housing stock is fairly bad too- so WHY have house prices continued to defy the national picture. Rents are about 1300 for a 3 bed house per month too.

I have waited, hoped, prayed for the mother of all crashes here but nothing has happened. WHY? :angry:

I would imagine that the pink pound has been a major factor. Gay people are touted to have far more disposable income. And I say that as a gay man myself incidentally.

I have lived (and rented) in this bloody city of Brighton for 11 years ...

I guess you can tell everyone else what's great about it given you've wanted to stay!

FWIW I do like Brighton but have never stayed there for more than a few weeks at a time. I considered buying there about 10 years ago but prices had recently soared with London money. As it happens it was probably 'cheap' then compared with now - altho I haven't looked at Brighton prices for years.

I would imagine that the pink pound has been a major factor. Gay people are touted to have far more disposable income. And I say that as a gay man myself incidentally.

Generally (Elton John excepted) gays don't have kids hence lots more disposable. Presumably explains why there's a Green Party MP in Brighton too?

That was my first thought, but wasn't there some stat that showed that gay men, on average, earn less than straight men? Hmm, googling shows that the answer is not very straightforward... they have higher average incomes than straight men, but are lower paid for the same jobs afaict. (i.e. they tend to have better jobs, but get less for them).

Depends whether they are partnered I guess, and effectively sharing expenses and dual income couples. Speaking as gay/bi man incidentally, but I suspect the so called "pink pound" may be a little overstated in its effects on places, even Brighton.

When they upgraded the London line in the late 90s loads of people started moving down.

Still a shite commute, though.

I think that's it: the fast train to london. Doable both as a weekend holiday place on the coast and as place you can just about commute into london from.

That links it more to the overheated london market than the wider uk market

Edited by gadget

Where do you think bankers bonuses are going, if you aren't keen on London, and fancy a pad by the sea, within an easy commute to the centre of London?

Out of 130 people in my (London) office 3 live in Brighton and commute everyday. All high earners.

is it basically that Brighton has a bit of life and soul about it rather than the identikit giant golf club that the rest of the SE outside London has become?

Yes - it's called 'London on Sea' for a reason. Partly it's the nightlife etc, which you don't really get in any other south coast resort, partly the architecture (beautiful Regency terraces and squares similar to South Kensington), and partly the relatively easy commute to London - most nice coastal resorts take over an hour. (By nice I mean not Chas and Dave type places like Southend).

Personally if I had the choice I'd live in Whitstable - Brighton always seems stuffed with eurokids and wannabee trendoids.

I've never really fully understood the attraction of Brighton.

It has some lovely rows of terraced houses in nice colours, a lot of original architecture that hasn't completely been ruined, was once a premier destination for people getting out of the city for the weekend to somewhere not too far away, and always seems to have been a "bit posh".

Has culture, veggie restaurant(s) boutiques and the like, lots of choice in most things. Much like London.

But, much like London, and perhaps this is just my take, it has a mildly oppressive feel to it all the time, as though you need to take a lot of care walking around at night and take surrepticious glances at people nearby to see if they might have a knife and keep one eye out on who is coming up behind you.

"London by the sea" - that will be why I don't really like it. Probably why Peter James sets most of his books in Brighton - detective crime (Dead Lke You is very good) - that, and he knows the area well.

I actually preferred Blackpool. Not because Blackpool is nice. It's a bit shite. But it has a certain "honesty" about it, sort of trapped in time. That doesn't feel that safe either, but I didn't detect that same "undercurrent" about it.

And the nightlife (gay) was better in Blackpool. Perhaps because it was less ghetto-ised (no "Kemp Town") and more integrated, more of a "party town" - as one person put it the economy in Blackpool revolves around the same people exchanging the same used tenners cutting each others hair and serving each other drinks. Harsh, but not entirely untrue.

This has been discussed on the Brighton thread at length. The pink pound is one factor but I think the two main factors are London money and students. The commute to London is pretty crap unless you live near Brighton station and work near Victoria, but a big difference over the last decade or so is that many people can work from home a couple of days a week, so the commute becomes more tolerable. The student factor is massive though - there are two universities in Brighton with lots of rich middle class students prepared to pay 90 pounds a week to live in a pretty ordinary terrace. So any house that you can fit 4 students into will automatically yield 7.5% if you buy it for 250k. It places a floor under the market. Nobody gives a sh1t what the house is like or where it is, some landlord will pay at least 250k (and probably over 300k) for it and get a guaranteed rental income.

Put this all together and you get students near the universities, commuters near the stations, and well heeled gay weekend retreats along the sea front. Add in the masses of foreign students who hang around during the summer and you end up with a lot of people paying over the odds for pretty average houses. For most people working locally and trying to bring up a family Brighton really isn't an option, and to be honest it's not that attractive either. There's a huge drug problem, it is pretty dirty (especially when a seagull has dragged someone's rubbish down the street) and you simply don't get much house for your money. It's a great place to waste away your 20s though B)